Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone confirm that BT are leaving Irish Market?

Options
  • 14-03-2007 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

:confused: One of the lads just sent me a text to say they are pulling out of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

:confused: One of the lads just sent me a text to say they are pulling out of Ireland.
    Their customer service centre only or the company itself (i.e. BT will no longer be available on the Irish consumer market)?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It was in the media I believe but at the same time their was also news about BT investing 100M euro in Ireland so I doubt it'll happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

It was thought a few weeks ago that they would be but it doesnt look like it now, there was a press release the other day that they are threatening to sue eircom because they want to offer the option to customers to migrate to a new 8mb package they will be offering, that wouldnt be happening if they were still thinking about pulling out.

thread linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

have not heard that personnally but hope they dont since I was originally a smart customer, were promised by a BT rep that they are here to stay hence we moved to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are investing about 500M in "Ireland" but at least 460M of that is actually in BT Land, i.e. N.I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ireland is the most profitable part of BT's business and they've just merged with the North so they are now "all ireland"
    This brought down their annual profits as the northern operation runs at a loss.

I seriously doubt they're pulling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

the lawsuit is based on the process Eircom are making available this summer to all ISPs.

Basically, it allows People to migrate seamlessly to an LLU service and take their number with them.

Great says you and most people.

However it does not work if a customer is transfering between services within a company, ie from the current BT Bitstream Service to BT LLU.

From the sounds of it, that would mean that if they wanted to migrate their bitstream customers over to their LLU offering ( which if possible they intended to invest in heavily, once number porting etc got sorted and the process was more streamlined ) then they still cannot do that, and puts their LLU product at a distinct disadvantage to other LLU services.

Why you might ask lol.
    Basically, cause these people are already BT customers, and so if possible you can be guranteed that their would be a very fast movement of people going from BT Bitstream to BT LLU resulting in a huge drop in clients on the Eircom Bitstream services ( BT are their biggest reseller id estimate )

However without it being possible to use the new system for BT existing customers, it pretty much gurantees that they remain on the bitstream service and BT hold back LLU investment.

Advertisement