Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10K run

Options
  • 14-03-2007 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

My plan is to go from a completely unfit never before runner, to running 10K in 5 weeks. I know its a bit optimistic but I need something to motivate me to get going. Last week was my first week and I went out running twice. The first run I barely lasted 15 minutes while taking about 5 walking breaks, pretty bad. Second night out was much easier than the first and I was out in total for 20 minutes, I estimated the lenght of run to be about 3K.

This week I ran for over 20 minutes. I cant be sure of the distance I ran but I'd imagine it was over 3K anyway.

I seem to be ok as a complete beginner, but I'm gonna have a tough four weeks if I want to treble my lenght of run.

Any advice / comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Why did you stop after 20 mins? Did something hurt? Where your lungs trying to escape through your mouth?..... The usualy advice is to tell someone to slow down and concentrate on increasing the distance. Next time you're out, alk a bit when you can't run any more and then try to run again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I stopped because my legs were giving up on me. My calves feel like they're burning when I finish up. On the plus side it has been getting significantly easier each time I've gone out running so it might just take me a little while to see the real state of my fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

that's the pain barrier. Break it! :)
    google "second wind"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I'll try. I also end up with a bit of a pain in my lower back. Does anyone else get this, is it down to bad running posture or what?

Do you think three times a week is enough to build up the miles so quickly or should I be out nearly every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Joe84

Check out this link, I think it will be pretty helpful:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It's good to have a program to stick to, it's essential to set goals in order to reach your target. I can't say enough about goal setting but most importantly for me it's a great source of motivation.

I also used to get bad back pain when running or sprinting, it was like a dull burning feeling. But this completely disappeared with time, I think it comes down to bad overall posture. But just stay loose when running i.e. don't tense your upper body & close your fists. Also stay well hydrated, 3 litres a day if you can while training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

If you're suffering I would try to get out every second day. What surface are you running on? The back pain could be just that your back isn't used to any kind of impact. Try running on softer ground (grass, trail or even a track) and see if that makes any difference. If you're still unsure see a doc or physiotherapist.

Advertisement