Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera pre 00

Options
  • 14-03-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy one of these as I need a reliable car thats cheap to run and the size of the 5 door hatchback suits me perfectly. Which would be the best engine to go for economy-wise? I currently drive a 1.9 TD passat estate. Have €3000 max to spend...

And I know its not sexy.. I have the OHs scirocco if I feel like a blast...He's almost personally insulted that I'm not considering a german car...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fits wrote:
    I'm looking to buy one of these as I need a reliable car thats cheap to run and the size of the 5 door hatchback suits me perfectly. Which would be the best engine to go for economy-wise? I currently drive a 1.9 TD passat estate. Have €3000 max to spend...

And I know its not sexy.. I have the OHs scirocco if I feel like a blast...He's almost personally insulted that I'm not considering a german car...

Your probably looking at the 1999/2000 reg MkI Almera on your budget. They were available in 1.4 litre petrol and 2.0 litre diesel (non turbo). A very rare 1.6 litre petrol was also available mostly with an auto gearbox.

Which one is more economical depends on how much mileage you do and how much you pay for the car. If you do 15k plus miles a year then a diesel will probably be more economical to you, but you must weigh up the extra cost in road tax plus a tidy diesel Almera of that age will probably cost more than €3k.

So unless you do big mileage I would opt for the 1.4 litre petrol. It is no rocket but will still return decent mpg. Try and go for the Sport model as this had an electric sunroof and alloy wheels as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I had one of these for a year. Boring looks but surprisingly nice to drive. The Primera and Almera of this period had really good handling.

Coluldn't think of a better budget buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thanks for your replies.. I live in the Wicklow mountains, and just wonder if the 1.4 petrol would handle the long steep hills ok...

OH has also suggested Mitsubishi Lancer estate.. quite like the look of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

my first car was a 96 almera saloon and I loved it. Great handling and smooth ride. Upgraded to a 00 Primera and i loved that car too. Now have a 03 Almera and I hate it. Rolls around bends like a roller coaster on 3 wobbly wheels. My parents had it from new and never had any trouble with it. I've had it since christmas and it has been in the garage three times totalling €1000. I hate it and i'm pretty sure it hates me.

Next car hopefully will be Octavia VRS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My missus had a '98 one for a few years, although I'm pretty sure it was a 1.5 not a 1.4. Anyway, it was as others have said, extremely boring but supremely reliable and cheap to run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

I bought a 00 Almera a month ago for €4000. 86,000 miles and spotless inside. big step up from my previous car which was a 1.0 litre polo. The one i got is the older version 1.4 engine with electric sunroof and alloys.

Lovely car to drive and seems quite good on petrol too but i only cover about 150 - 170 miles a week.

TheNog wrote:
    Next car hopefully will be Octavia VRS

Wouldnt mind one of those myself... much prefer European cars myself, but with my budget I reckon the japs are a safer bet..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Also consider Mazda 323. same kinda price and reliability. 1.5 models have high spec including traction control, electric sunroof, 4 electric windows, electric heated mirrors, central locking and ABS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Surely 3k would buy you a Focus of some sort - even if it was a little older it would still be light years ahead of the Almera dynamically.

Robamerc, like I said I dont need a sporty car, already have one. I need something thats cheap to run and reliable, that fits two big dogs and a surfboard on top the odd time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Currently have one and i cant recomend it enough! never had a problem with it in 8 months i've had it always started first time never let me down plenty of room and well kitted out E/S/R, E/M, A/B, E/W's and alloys, performance is'nt earth shattering but a nice car ideal for what you're looking for.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Great car. I have a 99 saloon, 140K miles, no problems.

Has sunroof, all windows are electric. Very reliable and comfy.

I plan on just driving it into the ground. My father was the one who put the big mileage on it, I have had it just over a year and only put 6.5K on it so it should last me ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Have a 00 (old style) that I bought new. It's about to hit 100k, and has been trouble free. Won't set your world on fire, but a good solid car. I'll drive mine until it falls to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

fits wrote:
    Robamerc, like I said I dont need a sporty car, already have one. I need something thats cheap to run and reliable, that fits two big dogs and a surfboard on top the odd time.

Where did I mention a sports car ?
    What I meant was a Focus would be everything you wanted and be a far better car on the road than the almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

fits wrote:
    OH has also suggested Mitsubishi Lancer estate.. quite like the look of that too.
    AFAIK the standard engine on Lancers around then was a 12 valve 1.3, which I can't see being as good as the Almera's. Also, production moved from Japan to Malaysia some time around then. :(
    Alun wrote:
    My missus had a '98 one for a few years, although I'm pretty sure it was a 1.5 not a 1.4.
    Was it an import, i.e. a Nissan Pulsar? The standard engine on these was a 1.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those old shape Almera were tidy handlers, not as neat as the Focus, but close. Also as previously stated, 1.4 family boxes aren't the place to look for a sporty drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was it an import, i.e. a Nissan Pulsar? The standard engine on these was a 1.5.
    No, an Irish original .. anyway it would appear I was wrong .. it was a 1.4 apparently, ooops.

Advertisement