Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Queen of the Damned- Anne Rice.

Options
  • 14-03-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

I was quivering with excitement as I bought this book due to the brilliance of Interview with the Vampire and even more so of The Vampire Lestat but while I still enjoyed it I just can't help feeling a little annoyed.

The major characters seemed to lack any of the charisma of the last two books (particularly Louis and Marius).

And personally, I thought the whole red haired twins, ghosts, spirits, dreams, story behind it all was awful. I would have rather not known.

And since I don't know how to use spoiler tags, I'll be vague and say I thought the climax and end was a big wuss out.

Nevertheless, I'm hoping tale of the body thief will be a return to form. Does anyone recommend reading it?

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Valmont wrote:
    Nevertheless, I'm hoping tale of the body thief will be a return to form. Does anyone recommend reading it?
    Personally I wouldn't. if the first three were akin to cinematic releases, the fourth would be pretty much in direct-to-video or pilot for a TV series territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lilwyrdsis

Tale of the body thief - worth skipping over and going stright to Memnoch the Devil. If you want to read more on Marius - Vampire Armand, Pandora and Blood and Gold, particularly Blood and Gold.

personally, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned are my favourites, she kind of lost it with last few, couldn't even finish one of the last Vampire Lestat books and definitely have not bothered with her new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I had a feeling my hopes for an entire saga of the calibre of the first two was too good to be true, thanks anyhow, I'll get Memnoch the Devil next, would I miss any of the story without having read tale of the body thief? It can't be that bad can it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

lilwyrdsis wrote:
    Tale of the body thief - worth skipping over and going stright to Memnoch the Devil. If you want to read more on Marius - Vampire Armand, Pandora and Blood and Gold, particularly Blood and Gold.

I'll second that, the Tale of the Body Thief can be summed up pretty quickly.
    Also, Blood and Gold is one of my favourites, Vampire Armand was alright, but not brilliant and I haven't read Pandora so I can't say anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lilwyrdsis

Valmont wrote:
    I had a feeling my hopes for an entire saga of the calibre of the first two was too good to be true, thanks anyhow, I'll get Memnoch the Devil next, would I miss any of the story without having read tale of the body thief? It can't be that bad can it?:D

It isn't all that bad, but just don't expect too much from it :) (it has been many a year since I read it but give it a go, I think he might miss a few minor things alright if you skip it, it won't take long to read either :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

Got Rice out my system befor I turned 19. Recall enjoying only the first three vampire ones though. The witching Hour is very good. The sequels, naturally, are dire and best avoided. I actually think they spoiled the first one for me; becauseI've never read it again. Read the Wiching Hour as a stand alone.

Advertisement