Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

has nokia n95 "real" GPS?

• 14-03-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

anyone know what kind of gps the n95 has?
    is it "real" gps or assisted gps.

and if it's just assisted gps does this mean you'll be charged by the network for it?

also would assisted gps alone actually work in ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

mkennedy wrote:

and if it's just assisted gps does this mean you'll be charged by the network for it?

Yes it is a real GPS, however I believe you cannot use it as a Bluetooth GPS from another device, perhaps a firmware update or 3rd party util will enable this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

mkennedy wrote:

from what i believe you download the maps from a mapserver on the net,
    via the network operators network ( gprs, 3g etc) or via wlan...over your own broadband network....

i dont think that you can just download the maps to the gps say for example like a garmin gps.......and use them locally without having to connect via 3g gprs or wlan,,,,,,, bit of a bummer really....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

yeah theres a demo on nokia.com at the moment seem its not really a full gps aka like a navteq.

From my understanding when you turn on the gps location it will detect where you are and you can then access gprs to download a map or something . I presume it will really only work in the towns as only the major cities seem to be covered properly.

They really just marketing it for foot and not for car stuff etc ie finding where you are in a new city.

Do dont fancy have too fork out a couple of euro everytime a need a new map. interesting to see exactly how they are getting their mapping software from.

Also anyone else abit pissed re the price tag i was expecting 550 euro as per nokia press release now its 969 euro , not worth it for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Howdy,

I think you're all a bit misinformed about the N95's GPS and Maps application. I suggest you have a look at the link below, it should clear things up.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/reviews/item/Nokia_N95-part_2_the_Navigator.php

As for the price, all high end Series 60 phones for the past few years have cost around 700+ Euro on release. It goes down over time.

- Neil

Advertisement