Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you wave?

• 14-03-2007 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

When you meet another biker on the road do you wave at them or greet them in any way. I am just back on the bike today after having it lay up for the winter. Not one biker returned my wave. Last year I changed my bike from a Yam r6 to a BMW F650GS and I noticed fewer and fewer bikers waving at me. So answer me this: is it because I now drive an uncool bike or is it just going out of fashion to acknowledge fellow bikers?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan...

...Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them.

They're almost as bad as those old *******s on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa.

Oh, and Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep going.

Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda. I'll wave at Honda guys, but, even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and, by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes The Brotherhood of the Road so special?

Author Unknown

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Suddenly it all makes sense....(Good one Doktor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

macnab wrote:
    Last year I changed my bike from a Yam r6 to a BMW F650GS and I noticed fewer and fewer bikers waving at me.

...So answer me this: is it because I now drive an uncool bike or is it just going out of fashion to acknowledge fellow bikers?:confused:

There is your problem. You have to read the BMW instruction book for the "wave at common bike" button. I believe it is near the espresso maker.

Either that or your "Decipher common bike gesticulation" reader device is not calibrated low enough.

Nah, I don't know, I haven't noticed any drop in waves coming my way. I pretty much always wave or nod.

Check out this guide, to help you along the way.

(the Noob Wave (advanced) is class)

L.

nereid wrote:
    Check out this guide, to help you along the way.

L.

Hmm... is that a bloke in his bedroom with a motorbike helmet and leather jacket:eek: ..... What were you lookin for when you found that??:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

macnab wrote:
    When you meet another biker on the road do you wave at them or greet them in any way. I am just back on the bike today after having it lay up for the winter. Not one biker returned my wave. Last year I changed my bike from a Yam r6 to a BMW F650GS and I noticed fewer and fewer bikers waving at me. So answer me this: is it because I now drive an uncool bike or is it just going out of fashion to acknowledge fellow bikers?:confused:

I lived in Ennis County Clare on and off 10 years, every biker gives a nod or a wave when passing (unless you know them and dont get on!!!!). I moved back to Dublin and its not the same and rarely give a solute however when I take out da Bros 400 I get da couriers nodding at me!!! I guarantee another guy on a Beamer would give you da nod!!!.

• Advertisement

The Doktor wrote:
    Hmm... is that a bloke in his bedroom with a motorbike helmet and leather jacket:eek: ..... What were you lookin for when you found that??:confused:

It was linked on a different site - also in relation to a post about "why do peasant folk not wave at me on my BMW"

Nothing to see here... move along now...

:p

L.

nereid wrote:
    It was linked on a different site - also in relation to a post about "why do peasant folk not wave at me on my BMW"

Nothing to see here... move along now...

:p

L.

Yeah yeah.... thats a bit like the aul spider ran up me trouser leg story....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

nereid wrote:
    LOLLL :D I did actually LOL!

Do you live in Dublin macnab? IMO, people in the Big Shmoke couldn't be ar$ed waving/nodding back (regardless of bike)... I always do it (and I mean always!) but I could count on the fingers of my hands how many times somebody waved/nodded back... And I've been riding for 8 months now! :(

However once you leave Dublin, pretty much every biker I pass waves! :)

As Doktor's joke says, I was actually looking forward to "becoming part of a special community, a brotherhood"... But I don't feel that way living in Dublin. Pity really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,452 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do you live in Dublin macnab? IMO, people in the Big Shmoke couldn't be ar$ed waving/nodding back (regardless of bike)

In Dublin the hazard density is too high to wave.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

i wave to prety much every 1 , or @ least give them a nod, Every 1 except mopeds, cos lets face it, ya might as well be walking, and those damn burgman thingy's, not a hope of me waving to you either.

the usual crew in the morning get a nod, dude on a lime green Ninja, always getas a nod, and a a guy on an amaxing customised Hornett. every 1 else it's the luck of the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I rarely wave but I always nod, yes, even to people not on beemers.

I do tend to wave to car drivers that make an obvious move to get out of my way.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

ninja900 wrote:
    Well if you're not filtering at 80km/h you should nod or wave! :p

I also refuse to nod at people on scooters Dr4gul4 (and Burgmans are scooters too!). I think it's because when we all had mopeds/scooters in France (pretty much everybody has one at the age of 16) we didn't expect "real" motorbike riders to wave at us! Scooters/mopeds are like bicycle IMO...
    MrPudding wrote:
    I do tend to wave to car drivers that make an obvious move to get out of my way.
    I give them the aul' "left foot sticking out" wave. I hope they know what it means! :)

I live in Meath but commute to Dublin. as MrPudding says "I always nod". I still remember the 1st time another biker nodded at me. It was 1992, I had been riding unfaired bikes for 5 years. Then one day I borrowed a 1 month old FZR250RR and hey presto instant celebraty status. I had the FZR for 2 weeks while the old honda was in sick bay. I got into the habit of nodding or waving at other bikers. When I got back onto the 1976 Honda CB400-4 I still waved at other bikers but got nothing in return. I felt like a gate crasher. A few months later I bought an 89 GSXR750-J Slingshot and you guessed it, waves a plenty. We are a fickle bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

ninja900 wrote:
    I would often give a nod at bikers but, as you say, sometimes there's just too much going on at the time. Safety first, friendliness second!

I used to wave and get waved at a lot when I had my TDR but nobody waved when I was on the BROS. Maybe they thought I was a courier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I always nod, only wave if someone moves out of the way for me

While we are slating bmw riders, 2 passed me in the space of 2 miles this morning, I was in no hurry, sticking with the traffic, as each one came up, I moved aside to give them as much room as possible, did I get 1 wave or a nod as they passed, not a hope, i suppose I was only on a transalp so 1 does not acknowledge the lower classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I always nod, only wave if someone moves out of the way for me

While we are slating bmw riders, 2 passed me in the space of 2 miles this morning, I was in no hurry, sticking with the traffic, as each one came up, I moved aside to give them as much room as possible, did I get 1 wave or a nod as they passed, not a hope, i suppose I was only on a transalp so 1 does not acknowledge the lower classes
    I would've waved.. I'll turn them all, one by one.. Just give me time.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

I always tend to salute bikes of all shapes and sizes, usually i'll raise the hand but if it's not safe you'll get a nod from me, have noticed that i don't get many returned though lately, might have something to do with the long sleeved hi-vis jacket and white arai, makes me look a bit like the ol' bill :o

about the only time i dont salute is for scooters, i do find though that i rarely get saultes from cruisers, passed a bunch of 7-8 harleys there last weekend and i think 1 might have saluted me....either that or he was about to rub his eye or something (stupid open face helmets).

Update: I just rode 27 miles, I passed about 9 bikes, I nodded at them all (even the couriers) but I didnt get one reply. I will not give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I don't think there's any point waving in the city. I drive through the city every day, there's just too many bikes to wave at. I give the nod to anyone with a GS and that's it. Outside the M50 i always wave. Don't know about beemer drivers not waving, i always wave. The worst thing that can possibly happen to a biker (barring an accident) is when you wave and get blanked! Happens with sports bikes, harleys, tourers, every type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've waved to the same two couriers every day for about a year now.. One day they'll wave back.. Maybe..

Nothing against couriers... I'm sure if you spend all day in a taxi, you wouldn't be bothered waving to fellow taxi-men either..

I've waved to the same two couriers every day for about a year now.. One day they'll wave back.. Maybe..

Next time, blow them a kiss and see what happens:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

BMW riders aren't really bikers in the true sense so don't waste your time. I have been riding bikes for 18 years and now that I finally can afford a BMW I still won't buy one, mainly because having antilock brakes and a stereo and a heated seat and a bottle warmer is not cool - just buy a f**king car if you want that much comfort.

Couriers aren't really bikers in that they do it for money and lets face it alot of them wear runners with plastic bags tied around them.

I always wave down the country but its usually limited to a nod in the big smoke as I need my hands for avoiding myopic car drivers.

Funny enough practically every biker in the US waves - for three main reasons;

- they're into high fives, cool hand shakes and the like.
    - on long straight roads you have loads of time to kill so you might as well interact with other bikers.
    - because you ride on the right over there and approaching traffic is on your left you can easily wave with your left hand without releasing your grip on the accelerator.

boa-constrictor, you say "BMW riders aren't really bikers in the true sense" can you enlighten us as to what is or who are bikers in the true sense. For instance I ride a BMW F650GS. I have owned bikes since I was 15, I am 38 now. At 1 time I owned 3 road bikes. I have owned over 20 in tot. I attend bike racing regularly. I have crashed twice. I have had 2 bikes stolen. I used the bike for 12 months of the year for 8 years, now I ride for 8 months of the year. Do I qualify?

macnab wrote:
    boa-constrictor, you say "BMW riders aren't really bikers in the true sense" can you enlighten us as to what is or who are bikers in the true sense. For instance I ride a BMW F650GS. ... Do I qualify?

No, you relinquish that right once you buy a BMW :D It is written in the T&C's in the User manual.

Nah, I'm only kidding, but to be fair, you have to admit that the "new breed" of BMW owner is a fraction different to the "typical" view of a biker no?

L.

BMW riders aren't really bikers in the true sense so don't waste your time. I have been riding bikes for 18 years and now that I finally can afford a BMW I still won't buy one, mainly because having antilock brakes and a stereo and a heated seat and a bottle warmer is not cool -

You wouldnt mind giving me a list of criteria that I need to qualify as a biker?

After all these years riding bikes and trying to be a biker maybe im actually not one :eek: !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

BMW riders aren't really bikers in the true sense so don't waste your time. I have been riding bikes for 18 years and now that I finally can afford a BMW I still won't buy one, mainly because having antilock brakes and a stereo and a heated seat and a bottle warmer is not cool - just buy a f**king car if you want that much comfort.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 andy gaw

I always gives a nod............ but if theres cops on the road tap your lower shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

andy gaw wrote:
    I always gives a nod............ but if theres cops on the road tap your lower shoulder.
    How many shoulders have you got??? :confused: I've only two and they're both at the same level ...

• Advertisement

andy gaw wrote:

*cough* tap the top of you head.

see "instructional" video linked above...

L.

Advertisement