Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you wave?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 andy gaw

What I meant was tap where stripes would be.........unless of course your doin' over the ton:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I dont wave in dublin cos there are so many of us. But outside dublin i do. (Or nod i should say) Some harley guys tend to wave in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

macnab wrote:
    Update: I just rode 27 miles, I passed about 9 bikes, I nodded at them all (even the couriers) but I didnt get one reply. I will not give up.

I have to say my experience so far is the exact opposite. IN both the UK and here in Ireland I get nods or waves from the vast majority of other bikers....and I am on a beemer. Go figure.

On this subject. I am fairly new to biking, November last year. I did not realise there was the whole waving and nodding thing. It was a very pleasant surprise. I lov ethe whole "being in a club" kind of feeling it gives.

Also, on Friday I was riding up North and I had to pull over to make a phone call. A guy on a Harley passed me, drove on, found somewhere to turn and then came back to check I was OK. Top bloke!

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MizzKattt

I try to wave every time. Sometimes when I'm focusing on the million and one obstacles coming at me in the city, I'll forget to look for another rider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I nod in the city and wave in the open road. Just a safety thing I guess. But I always do it when I see the the other biker coming. That said, I find the "fair wather bikers" You know the lads, No armor and more than likely a helmet a size to big. I dont nod at them, as I gave up last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

sutty wrote:
    That said, I find the "fair wather bikers" You know the lads, No armor and more than likely a helmet a size to big. .

Oi... they`re not fair weather bikers... they`re just gob****es.
    Some of us have no choice but to drive our cages most of the time.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Copper just nodded to me on the way home tonight as I was passing him at a junction, and whilst I was in the middle of ****ing around with my visor (which maybe he interpreted as a wave??). Anyhow, fair play to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Don't think that bikers that don't wave are being snobby or unfriendly, they might just not be that experienced!

when i started riding i was a bit afraid to take my hand off the handlebars in case i'd crash! Or if a fellow biker nodded i was surprised because it was a new thing for me and being so surprised they're already past you by the time you think of nodding back!!

so they mightn't be that used to it yet! But yeah i always give a nod, rarely wave cos i think its a bit poncey to be honest looks like your using to much effort just to say hello when a friendly nod would be sufficient!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Nodding / waving is like cruising the Shannon. Just about everybody does it except the snobs that own their own huge boats.

I always look ahead and give a nod and lift my right break hand, but not taking off bars. Safety really, but I always give a nod. It's a good community for the most part, let's keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i always nod when i pass another biker, 90% of them around kildare always nod back aswel

• Advertisement
Advertisement