Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

P990i opinions

• 14-03-2007 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

hi lads
    just wondering what peoples experience with the sony ericsson P990i,had a p900 and was great if a little slow.the P990i seems to be loaded with features that other smartphones dont have(others seems to always have something missing).what the keypad like and is it usable and is it usable one handed with the flip removed.
    regards
    damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

I use it one-handed with the flip removed, and I find it very usable; I very rarely need to use the stylus. The phone tends to be a lot faster in most things than its UIQ2 predecessors, although it can take a bit long to start the Web browser (the browser itself is fast). The only real negative that I have with it is that the software range is not as wide for it as it was for the UIQ2 phones, and because of the extra security involved with Symbian OS 9, this drawback could be permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I just got one.Its a nice phone but abit hard to use.I think it will take me a few more days to get used to it.Does anyone have any good sites where i can get some games or software for the p990i.thanks

My Symbian has just about every application there is for the P990. Java applications also work on it, although I find games that require a joystick are not very P990-friendly.

DaveK wrote:
    My Symbian has just about every application there is for the P990. Java applications also work on it, although I find games that require a joystick are not very P990-friendly.

I have only used my p990i for 1 day and the reception is really bad.I just want to find out how do i disable the 3g function.I think thats causing the problem as it does for other phones like the Nokia 7600 etc.
    thanks in advance

It seems to be a fairly common problem among all 3G phones.

Tools > Control panel > Connections > Mobile networks > GSM/3G networks > GSM only. (You have to click 'Mobile networks' at the top of the screen to be able to continue to the 'GSM/3G networks' menu.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

cheers lads,prob going to go for it,whats the stability like..does it restart a few times or is it solid,and do you use it for multitasking,i would like to run a msn messenger client,messenging app and opera mini at the same time..is there enough ram to do that.
    can you navigate the whole phone using the jog dial a la m600i style?
    and whats dialing numbers using just the qwerty keypad like?
    are there many voip client available for p990i like the series60 handsets?

cheers
    damo

I find the latest firmware to be very stable; I run Swiss Manager Pro to improve stability and speed further. I don't use a messenger client, so I can't answer your question with certainty, but it doesn't sound as though what you're trying to do would cause any RAM problems. Most of the menus can be navigated using only the jog dial and the 'back' button just below it, but there are a few places where you need to touch the screen to select a particular option. I use the on-screen keypad rather than the keyboard when typing in numbers to dial. As far as I am aware, there are no VOIP applications available yet, although a UIQ3 version of Fring is apparently in development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

coolio..should have mine by next week..cant wait,one thing i missed on my previous smartphone (xda mini-s and i-mate sp5) was wifi so i'm looking forward to having that again,especially with the current gprs tariffs.
    dont understand why it hasnt been popular...decent camera,touchscreen AND wifi in one package,other phones was alsways missing something or have crappy camera's!!

Its lack of popularity is surprising given how much better it is than previous SE smartphones and how popular they were. There were stability and RAM issues with the early firmwares, and these led to some bad reviews. Plus, its launch was delayed for ages, and this seemed to really annoy people. I'm very happy with mine, so I don't care.

DaveK wrote:
    It seems to be a fairly common problem among all 3G phones.

Tools > Control panel > Connections > Mobile networks > GSM/3G networks > GSM only. (You have to click 'Mobile networks' at the top of the screen to be able to continue to the 'GSM/3G networks' menu.)

Thanks it worked perfectly.I cant get my head around it yet :) , I will know how to work it by the weekend. Thanks for your help and if you have any cool softwares,themes ,videos etc please send me a pm .

• Advertisement
Advertisement