Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black armbands for the Ireland - Zimbabwe game?

• 14-03-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Its just been suggested by a Labour councillor (I think) that with the ongoing mayhem in that benighted country that the Irish should wear black bands for tomorrows game. He was interviewed on the Last Word.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Is he up for election soon? Publicity stunt.

While all of us abhor what is going on in Zimbabwe, I don't think Ireland will or should.

I always like to keep politics and sport separate. Look at the Irish team. It straddles two jurisdictions, yet I don't see politics coming into the running of cricket here. Sometimes you cannot ignore it, such as in Zimbabwe's case.

I feel if anyone should be protesting, its the Zimbabwe players themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Things have been especially bad in Zim in the last couple of days with a protester being shot dead by the police and the opposition leader and his fellow ministers were arrested by the police and beaten to a pulp. Morgan Tsvangirai (opposition leader) has a fractured skull and is in intensive care.

A symbolic protest wouldn't be a bad idea. Similar protests and sanctions made a big difference when my government were oppressing the majority of my country's citizens using apartheid.

Sometimes people need to take a stand... even sportmen ;)

Mike

DMC wrote:
    Is he up for election soon? Publicity stunt.

While all of us abhor what is going on in Zimbabwe, I don't think Ireland will or should.

I always like to keep politics and sport separate. Look at the Irish team. It straddles two jurisdictions, yet I don't see politics coming into the running of cricket here. Sometimes you cannot ignore it, such as in Zimbabwe's case.

I feel if anyone should be protesting, its the Zimbabwe players themselves.

The Zim players tried that in the past. The government just axed all the protesting players and replaced them with loyal supporters.

Andy Flower and Henry Olonga certainly did. The protest I'd be thinking of is gaining political asylum, although, in saying that, they might not in fear of what might happen to their families. The Zimbabwe team are all young men, who might not know any better. I'd hope they hear the news from home.

DMC wrote:
    Andy Flower and Henry Olonga certainly did. The protest I'd be thinking of is gaining political asylum, although, in saying that, they might not in fear of what might happen to their families. The Zimbabwe team are all young men, who might not know any better. I'd hope they hear the news from home.

I really hope so too. If things don't change soon they might not get another chance to make a statement.

I'm sure that, in the light of recent developments, the ICC will be forced to re-evaluate their decision to continue to allow Zimbabwe to field a cricket team for international competition.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Yeah I agree, the ICC has to draw the line somewhere. But are they prepared to just hang their team out to dry, questionable.

Having said that I dont think the black armbands would achieve anything.

It'd get press coverage for an important cause which isn't much... but it's something.

Some people need to be reminded about what's going on in Zim. South Africa's leadership need to be reminded that they, as the biggest political power in the area, are responsible for what's going on.

Black armbands will do that in the same way that U2's Joshua Tree dedication and marches in Ireland had an effect on the Apartheid government. Small but not unnoticed.

Ireland and its people are known in Southern Africa for these types of protests.

Mike

mikeruurds wrote:
    South Africa's leadership need to be reminded that they, as the biggest political power in the area, are responsible for what's going on.

It's so true. South Africa hold the key here. The problem is, the ruling ANC feel a bit of duty and respect to Mugabe, because of the support he is meant to have given them during apartheid. The West must pressurise SA on this.

Marshy wrote:
    Yeah I agree, the ICC has to draw the line somewhere. But are they prepared to just hang their team out to dry, questionable.

The ICC has had so much opportunity to do so since 2003, its quite appalling.

DMC wrote:
    The ICC has had so much opportunity to do so since 2003, its quite appalling.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

If the ICC let them into the tournament then Ireland should play them.

Advertisement