Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Me again.. Fanbelt this time.

Options
  • 14-03-2007 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I'll keep this brief.. Im a bit on the "sick of it" side.

In traffic.. temp gauge went high.. fan comes on.. whole car shakes.

SO.. I got home and left it tick over until the shaking and roaring happened again and I had a good look. The fan is turning, but theres a bit black smoke coming from the centre of it..

1998 1.2 16v ELX Punto anyone??? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Centre of the fan assembly? Obviously some friction action going on. Sounds like it needs ripping out and replacing.

Go outside and spin the fan by hand, does it move cleanly or is it rough?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like some mud is stuck to one part of the fan, causing it to be off centre. can happen from driving through mud. motor cis probably on the way out as a result. happened me about 6 years ago, thought the engine was knackered the vibrations were so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

colm_mcm wrote:
    sounds like some mud is stuck to one part of the fan, causing it to be off centre. can happen from driving through mud. motor cis probably on the way out as a result. happened me about 6 years ago, thought the engine was knackered the vibrations were so bad!

How much are we talking for this repair do ya reckon?

A breakers yard is your only man for something like a fan assembly. 30-40 euro would do it I suspect.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    A breakers yard is your only man for something like a fan assembly. 30-40 euro would do it I suspect.

Mike.

Lovely.. I'll give the mechanic a buzz for our fkn weekly chat. :rolleyes:

Roll on the SSIA and my Aygo.

• Advertisement

Fix It Again Tomorrow

Indeed.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Fix It Again Tomorrow

Indeed.

Mike.

Ah in fairness I have it 3 years, and it hadnt had much wrong with it before January this year. Its just old. Like I said, it isnt the usual punto, its the 16v one and the mechanic told me the engine and bits and pieces are more like a stilo than a normal punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bravo more likely.

Its gonna cost a few bob to fix. The motor is gone and will have to be changed.

New, the part is €150 quid. Add on labour to that and it'll be around 300.

Given that I want to change the car in May, this is a major bummer. I gotta find a toyota garage that will give me 2k scrappage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Trotter wrote:
    Ah in fairness I have it 3 years, and it hadnt had much wrong with it before January this year. Its just old. Like I said, it isnt the usual punto, its the 16v one and the mechanic told me the engine and bits and pieces are more like a stilo than a normal punto.

9 years is NOT old, unless you're talking about a goldfish.

Fix it and flog it for cash. Trade ins are a rip-off.

• Advertisement

Advertisement