Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Irish!?!

Options
  • 14-03-2007 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Am I just imagining it or are some Irish people in Galway Racist ?:confused: (thanks finlma)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Do you know what racial means ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Everyone in Galway is racial i.e. they come from a certain race

I'm presuming you mean racist and if you do of course there are racists in Galway, just as there are all over Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 atiyya

Has any one been a victim of Racial Discrimination in Galway by sales assistants in [2 Galway pharmacies] or anywhere else in Galway ?

[Mod-Edit to remove possible libel risk]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yes, I would imagine that some people in Galway are racist, just like everywhere else on the planet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

COLM: Hello there Father.
    TED: Ah, hello Colm. (laughing) Out and about?
    COLM: Ah, same as yourself.
    TED: Good good.
    COLM: I hear you're a racist now Father.
    TED: Wha...What?
    COLM: How did you get interested in that type of thing?
    TED: Who said I'm a racist?
    COLM: Everyone's sayin' it Father. Should we all be racist now? What's the official line the
    church is takin' on this.
    TED: No, no.
    COLM: Only the farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea. I mightn't be
    able to devote meself to the oul' racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

atiyya wrote:
    Has any one been a victim of Racial Discrimination in Galway by sales assistants in Boots & Westside Pharmacy or anywhere else in Galway ?

[Threads Merged]

What would you define as racial discrimination?

Did you speak to the manager/supervisor in either premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I've from roscommon and people from work are racist towards me all the time... Damn galwegians:D

Just money placed on the counter instead of in the hands and coughing after passing by (whatever that s for).I didnt thing anything of most of it until I was told others had the same experience and on the OPRAH show saw a african guy that got to be 'white' for a day and he spoke about the money on the counter thing: as a white he got the money placed in his hand and as himself on the counter but whatever I guess alot of the persons on this board are of the younger generation, was told only the old ladies seem to do these things.
    SyxPak wrote:
    [Threads Merged]

What would you define as racial discrimination?

Did you speak to the manager/supervisor in either premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Had that today as well ... rascist ****ards ... just because I'm from ... the internet .... they practically threw the money into my hand ...

Hmm ... seriously though ... they threw the money into my hand ... don't read too much into it .. you get people like that every so often .. and when you think about it .. do you realise how dirty peoples hands are ? the amount of people you see in public toilets that don't wash their hands is kinda shocking ..

but I'm going onto a completely different subject there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

atiyya wrote:
    Just money placed on the counter instead of in the hands and coughing after passing by (whatever that s for).
    There's a certain member of [XYZ] staff who places the money on the counter regardless of how obvious you make it that you want it put in your hand. Their general attitude to customers isn't particularly polite either. It happens to me and other people I know regardless of appearance/race/etc. Someone I know (Irish and white) goes to a different till just to avoid this individual. Ignorance not racism in this particular case.

[Mod-Edit to remove possible libel risk]

• Advertisement

forbairt money s also loaded with germs so i guess they should wear gloves. Why touch money all day and not someone s hand ?
    Its not like you ll be rubbing hands together,just putting it in the hand doesnt even require touching.
    Leeroy, would it be the oldish lady ?(over40) lol it s ok if you dont wanna tell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I only have a problem with jackeens, and boggers...
    Wogs, spicks and grease balls so far are ok.

biko wrote:
    I only have a problem with jackeens, and boggers...
    Wogs, spicks and grease balls so far are ok.

Whats that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

atiyya wrote:
    Whats that ?

A really bad joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

god, haven't heard the term "wogs" since I left Australia...

Don't think people here are more racist (or less racist) than anywhere else in Ireland, really...And I thought about having an issue with money placed in my hand or on the counter...But I guess you'll find more signs for racism the more you *really* want to look for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Reminds me of one of the locals at the pub where I used to work, he would often say this "If I was Mayor of Galway, every Friday morning between 8.30 and 8.45 we'd line up 3 black men and 2 Mayo men and shoot them. We'd continue this for 3 months, then hopefully those mayo bastards will shut up about football" I don't quite know what the hell to think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I ain't racist... I hate everyone the same...

galah wrote:
    god, haven't heard the term "wogs" since I left Australia...

Don't think people here are more racist (or less racist) than anywhere else in Ireland, really...And I thought about having an issue with money placed in my hand or on the counter...But I guess you'll find more signs for racism the more you *really* want to look for them...

I guess that Guy on Oprah from the UK was reading too much into always geting money placed on the counter and when he was able to be 'white', getting it placed in his hand

I have already decided the next time any one coughs on me when I pass them am gonna curse until the guards get me

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

atiyya wrote:
    Am I just imagining it or are some Irish people in Galway Racist ?:confused: (thanks finlma)

did you mean castlebar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DKIq5zGHwo

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Haha, love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

atiyya wrote:
    Just money placed on the counter instead of in the hands and coughing after passing by (whatever that s for).

1. This happens to me all the time, I'm Irish, and I've lived here all my life. You just get rude staff who drop the money on the counter. Nothing to be done about it, just get on with your life and don't let them bother you.

2. By any chance do you smoke? I find that people will cough when they pass someone who happens to be smoking as a non to subtle message that yes, the smoke is bothering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fmess

I live (as a 'bliding foreign c...t) work and pay taxes here since 1997, but it is bad lads...and I travelled a lot but ye have to change that cultie mentality. It's like in my country back in the 70s. Hope it'll change one day. After all when Irish travel or live abroad are respected, I would espect the same treatement in "multiculture" Galway....but everywhere else in Ireland is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

fmess wrote:
    I live (as a 'bliding foreign c...t) work and pay taxes here since 1997, but it is bad lads...and I travelled a lot but ye have to change that cultie mentality. It's like in my country back in the 70s. Hope it'll change one day. After all when Irish travel or live abroad are respected, I would espect the same treatement in "multiculture" Galway....but everywhere else in Ireland is the same.

I think that you need to recheck your facts about the Irish being respected abroad; just 10 years ago in Munich the Irish weren't wanted, and in England there were the "no dogs or Irish need apply" notices.

Oh, yeah; not all shop assistants hand people their change into their hands, and that over 40 woman working in a particular Shop Street chemist is rude, thick and impolite to absolutely everyone.

I know that Galwegians are not the most tolerant of people, and some of the comments I've heard made to foreign nationals are, in my opinion, proof of peoples ignorance and insecurities.

That said, there is a certain aspect of reverse racism at work in the city, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Fey! wrote:
    just 10 years ago in Munich the Irish weren't wanted

The Irish students gave the Irish a bad name in Munich, they were the biggest pack of scumbags you could ever meet.

In San Diego they aren't too keen on renting apartments to irish students. I wouldn't blame them, the majority of them have these going-away parties and the place gets trashed.

Oh. My. God! Some women who work in the GMIT campus did that all the time to me. They must be racist!!!!

A person doing that doesn't make them racist- have you ever thought they could be rude? Also, are you seriously taking advice from Oprah? Sheesh.

boneyarsebogman- It was a show aired in the UK and she had one fguy from that show as her guest.

Karl Hungus- No i do not smoke;)

In San Diego they aren't too keen on renting apartments to irish students. I wouldn't blame them, the majority of them have these going-away parties and the place gets trashed.

Oh. My. God! Some women who work in the GMIT campus did that all the time to me. They must be racist!!!!

A person doing that doesn't make them racist- have you ever thought they could be rude? Also, are you seriously taking advice from Oprah? Sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

atiyya wrote:
    I have already decided the next time any one coughs on me when I pass them am gonna curse until the guards get me

Watch out! It's the childish bridage!

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

It is racist to class a certain race as racist.

• Advertisement

whatever :D I ddint know children were allowed to curse

\
    DRakE wrote:
    Watch out! It's the childish bridage!

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement