Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen - best reliability in Europe

Options
  • 14-03-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Worldwide car survey of 450000 vehilcles for reliability has Citroen as the best major European make, ranked no. 10 behind the Jap makes you would expect. And Fiat at no.17, is ahead of BMW, Merc, VW, Skoda, Audi etc.

Anyone surprised? Seems to contradict much of the opinions we read on this board.

From todays Irish Times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As a matter of interest and kind of OT but does anyone know how come american cars are never part of these survey's. I mean real american cars, ot the likes of teh "chevrolet" aveo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think German cars are reliable. This isn't new news, major reliability surveys show that VW Mercedes Benz and BMW aren't as well built as people imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Sandwich wrote:
    Worldwide car survey of 450000 vehilcles for reliability has Citroen as the best major European make, ranked no. 10 behind the Jap makes you would expect. And Fiat at no.17, is ahead of BMW, Merc, VW, Skoda, Audi etc.

Anyone surprised? Seems to contradict much of the opinions we read on this board.

From todays Irish Times.

Citroen only ever made three good cars.....the Traction Avant L15, DS/ID19, and 2cv, they went down hill after that!!!

Sandwich wrote:
    "Groupthink"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Probably all due to the BarelyGo. Misleading title, though, isn't it? They're 10th, really, which does not bode well for European makes in general. Thought Skoda were tops there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I was always under the impression that PSA made fairly good solid cars. I know a lot of people who swear the Pug 405 was the best car ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Without knowing how exactly the survey was carried out it's difficult to comment on its accuracy. I am dubious of a lot of these reliability and satisfaction surveys.

Anyway it wouldn't surprise me if Citroen are a bit ahead of the other European manufacturers but a bit behind the Japs. For a long time I've thought that all European manufacturers are much of a muchness when it comes to reliability.

Its worth recognising cars don't break down anywhere near as much as ten or twenty years ago.
    They generally don't rust any more, fade in the sun or put the engine in the front seat beside you if you crash.
    Its pretty difficult to buy a bad car anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:
    I was always under the impression that PSA made fairly good solid cars. I know a lot of people who swear the Pug 405 was the best car ever made.

The 405 used to be a good seller here but you don't see too many of them on our roads these days.

Still plenty of old Starlets and Jettas knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    Still plenty of old Starlets and Jettas knocking about.

Plenty starlets, but I don't know about Jettas.

I think though how long cars last on the roads is not just based on how reliable they are. There are lots of old Mercs and BMWs, but that is mostly because they are a desirable car, and people are willing to spend money on them. There are plenty of small cars, because many have very little driving done, etc.

The 405 was the kind of car that got junked once running costs went a bit high. The youngest one would be 12yrs old now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a few thoughts on these surveys.

I do NOT rate satisfaction surveys. They are just peoples OPINION and therefore highly subjective and hence inaccurate.

Regarding reliability surveys, you really need to see the figures. As pointed out earlier, all cars these days are on fairly equal terms in reliability. These surveys usually consider other factors, like dealer service, cost of repairs, etc.
    So the difference between the first placed manufacturer aand the last placed manufacturer could in real terms only be (on average) one extra visit to the dealers and mayme €50 in the difference of an average repair job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't believe a word of that.

Citroen make some truly pants cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Here we go again :D

[whispers]Glad to see Fiat at #17, me ol' Stilo is goin' great at the mo'[/whispers] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The Citroen LNA my Mum had in about 1983/84 was a dog, but they were doing the CX at the time which I thought/still think is still a great car. We had a GS after that which never broke down but people kept crashing into it, then I had an AX, which was without doubt the best small car I ever owned. It never broke down, despite a hard life, and was great fun to drive.

Then again, I have a fondness for a lot of French cars, so I'm probably biased :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. . who remembers "The Unhappy Citroen Owners Club" ( O.K. goes back a bit)
    Sid Throne

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I'm sure theres loads of people in France that would agree with you there - never ceases to amaze me when i see ancient 405's belting down a motorway in France doing 100mph all day long and not a bother on them!
    maidhc wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

BrianD3 wrote:
    Without knowing how exactly the survey was carried out it's difficult to comment on its accuracy. I am dubious of a lot of these reliability and satisfaction surveys.
    I believe this survey was from Warranty Direct in the UK based on claims for 3 - 9 year old vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Citroen reliable have you ever owned one:confused:
    Hates the sight of the peices of sh!t :mad:
    Here is just one comon problem with em:p
    http://bebo.com/watch/3224476589 :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Car Mad wrote:
    Citroen reliable have you ever owned one:confused:
    Hates the sight of the peices of sh!t :mad:
    Here is just one comon problem with em:p
    http://bebo.com/watch/3224476589 :D:D:D

Is that is the best evidence you can come up with too support your claims....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Could this have anything to do with the fact the dealer networks / mechanics have at least one clue about servicing and repairing cars in Europe

• Advertisement
Advertisement