Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OK.. I know this will seem like a stupid question...

Options
  • 14-03-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

.. but my own Passat is getting her 10k service until tomorrow so the dealer I bought her from has generously lent me a 00 Mercerdes 320D :D

Not a bad car I have to say. VERY comfy, VERY quiet (80km/h feels more like 60 etc) but it feels like you're "disconnected" from the driving experience (very light steering and it seems to drift rather than turn) and the pickup isn't nearly as good as my own TDI

Anyway.. here's the question.. is this thing petrol or diesel as I'll have to probably put a bit into it before I bring it back to him tomorrow evening?

(told ya it was stupid.. :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

the D would indicate its a diesel.

And are you sure its not a BMW 320D??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it an Mercedes E320 CDI? or a BMW 320D? either way it's a diesel !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No it's a Merc - the "gunsight" on the bonnet is a dead giveaway :)

Elegance model.. I even have most of the buttons figured out. Have to say I don't like the handbrake pedal thing though!

EDIT.. nevermind. Just went out and had a look at the back E200 it says! Yer man's writing on the key tag is awful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The very light steering would also have to do with the fact that there are no drive forces transmitted through the front wheels ...as it is RWD. Plus it's probably over-assisted.

E class is horrid to drive. steering wheel leather too soft, and steering way over-assisted. also very sloppy suspension.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    E class is horrid to drive. steering wheel leather too soft, and steering way over-assisted. also very sloppy suspension.
    Good thing its only a loaner so! It feels very slow/heavy too.

that'll be the "200" bit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the "200" bit would also make it a petrol engine :D

Well in my defence I DID say it was stupid! :p

Having driven this though for the day I can verify that my 1.9 130hp TDI Passat is a much more responsive, faster off the line, machine.. and I thought Diesel Automatics were supposed to be slow?? :rolleyes:

I think the problem is you thought Mercs were supposed to be fast :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think the problem is you thought Mercs were supposed to be fast :rolleyes:
    Well I've learned why they're known as "barges" :D Handles like one anyway. And like I say, that pedal handbrake thing is driving me nuts! :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

E320d (I assume) is hardly slower than a 130bhp Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

E320d (I assume) is hardly slower than a 130bhp Passat?
    It's an E200 petrol. An E320CDI would, of course, blow a Passat TDI away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Even the E200K has 163BHP but probably less torque than the VW tdi. Still overall the Benz would be faster, it just wont feel like it, especially around town.

The steering is servotronic, light at town speeds then it gets progressivley heavier as the going gets tougher.

Still its hard to beat a decent rack and pinion set up, which only the French seem to be capable of making. Even the BMW 3 series has lost its sharp edge totally !

The E320 CDI is quite fast, and sounds good - for a diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

130bhp TDi passat going in for it's 10k service??? Do you mean another 10k service or is this its first 10k on the clock? Which leads to the question of why have you only got 10k on a diesel that must be at least 2 years old now? (old model)

Biro wrote:
    130bhp TDi passat going in for it's 10k service??? Do you mean another 10k service or is this its first 10k on the clock? Which leads to the question of why have you only got 10k on a diesel that must be at least 2 years old now? (old model)
    She's a 02 that I have about 6 months (I do a lot of mileage) and was due her 10k service (90ish on the clock!).. also needed the oil sensor replaced as well as a few other bits n pieces - minor stuff for the most part.

Dunno what he did (ah I do really.. full itemised list), but she's even more responsive and quick than she was! (and that's saying something as she was already very good!) :D

(EDIT: Or maybe that Merc made me temporarily forget? :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Normal simple rule is a diesel pump will not fit into a petrol car as nozzel is a lot bigger but beware a petrol one will fit into a diesel lol should be written on the cap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

look at it this way.....

if you put diesel in the E200, you'll only end up with bill to clean it out, on the other hand, put petrol in a CDI and you'd better have.......3 grand to spare.......? New common rail pump, anyone.........????

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    She's a 02 that I have about 6 months (I do a lot of mileage) and was due her 10k service (90ish on the clock!).. also needed the oil sensor replaced as well as a few other bits n pieces - minor stuff for the most part.

Dunno what he did (ah I do really.. full itemised list), but she's even more responsive and quick than she was! (and that's saying something as she was already very good!) :D

(EDIT: Or maybe that Merc made me temporarily forget? :p)
    I see now... I thought it was only the first 10k on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Maybe a silly thing to ask but could one not tell if the car was petrol or diesel by looking at the rev meter and seeing if it shows about 6.5K - 7K rpm at the redline for petrol or 4.5k to 5k for diesel? Or perhaps by the clatter coming from the engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I know nothing about automatic merc's but I would guess that they do not show revs or at least this model does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

tuxy wrote:
    I know nothing about automatic merc's but I would guess that they do not show revs or at least this model does not.

They all show the revs but it's usually off to the side and quite small relative to the speedo

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Its obviously not that stupid a question. You could phone the garage and ask them.

Also, putting diesel in a petrol engine will cause a lot more damage than the otherway round. Hence Deisel nozzels wont fit into petrol cars.

I know this from experience having put 20L of unleadead into my first diesel car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

The easyist way to tell if a car is petrol or diesel is to look inside the flap that covers the filler cap and read it.
    If it says Unleaded fuel only its petrol and if it says diesel fuel only its diesel. Simple.
    Can't believe this thread has gone on so long and people are still debating the best way to tell the difference.

(especially considering the car has since gone back to the garage and I've gotten my own Passat back :))

But actually as it turns out, I did check with the garage to verify it was petrol (it was so you were all right), and as it happened, there was a sticker inside the flap as well.

Advertisement