Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some clarification

• 14-03-2007 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been looking for some clarification on the dimensions of an athletics track specifically the 100m sprint area, I'm wondering if there is a specific minimum/maximum run-off area at the end of the straight?

I've been unable to find any info on the IAAF website etc.

I've been told by the IAA that a club just has to work with what area they have available at the end of the straight, but was hoping to have this clarified in writing somewhere else. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a manual, or other publication where this would be available.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I just found a pdf on the UK athletics site which has some details on dimensions but it all seems to be a bunch of reccomended distances between the different features and no fixed regulations.

Clicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Don't know of any published material but most tracks I've run on have no run-off area at the end of the track, the first bend is the run-off area. While at the start there just need to be an extra 10m for the high-hurdles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cool, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The straights on an athletic track are around 85m, so there needs to be a run-in area into the finishing straight of at least 25m. But, as tingle said, very few tracks have run-off areas. They just use the bend.

Advertisement