Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soaring temps after installing X-Fi sound card...

Options
  • 14-03-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

My X-Fi Fatal1ty arrived today, and just after popping it in I noticed my overall temps increased quite an annoying amount...

Ambient case temp used to be at a nice 29C. Now it's up at 34. Not a drop below.. Then after load for around half an hour it sits at 40 for a long time before finally starting to drop.

CPU used to idle at a cool 27/28C on full fan speed (2050). Now it's sits around 33/34... Don't now load yet be it used to be close to 50C so I can imagine it's probly above and beyond that now...

Rest of the parts arent bad at all. Gfx card now idling 39-41C (used to be 35C) but still only barely hits 60C load. HD idling 28. Used to be 25.

So I guess this is a normal temp step up? Did not expect a sound card to affect temps this much. Even though not dangerous (bit worried about the CPU temps though..) it's still nice to have a cool running system... Anyone have similar temp increases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok the card much be in the way of ur air flow have alook at ur fans at see what u can do.if you have a spare fan try moving it around if it makes a diffrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Not much I can do at the moment cause I have no spare fans. Will get one soon though. I actually have the sound card on the pci slot second from the bottom. Do you think it would help if I moved it to the lower slot? Also I have no back brackets removed. I doubt that would do much though?

Of course I have the dam extra ribbon cable in there if that would be disrupting air flow at all?

I really need to find a speedy solution to this cause my 8800GTS is gonna bake in this case...:eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Dont have the same high spec but this may help

XFI Fatality, case temp never more than 25c, one 120mm intake front, one 120 mm intake side and 1 rear 120 fan exhaust.

Other kit, 3.2Ghz P4 Prescott ( the hot one ), Asaka Evo Blue Cpu Cooler, Sapphire 1650Pro passive, memory cooling plates,

Case never gets above 29c, CPU 48c, HDD 24c

Cant understand how your card could cause an issue

W

Could be something to do with my case airflow then. I only have one intake (120mm), one 120 out-take and 90mm outake. Also one top 90mm...

If I had one 120mm on the side that would do the job cause it's just the ambient case temp that I need low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

IT is all to do with airflow, Move the card to the lowest pci slot. And try and use a rounded floppy cable for the connection to the breakout box.

Or do what most do and move the cable underneath the board so it does not effect the airflow.

WOuld you mind taking a pic of inside the case and showing us?

• Advertisement

Yeah I will try get a pic up as soon as possible.

Advertisement