Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive Intel Quad-core Price Cuts Before "Barcelona"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

i have an opteron 165 but i think before summer i will upgrade to intel dual core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

IT really depends on what you are doing, For games i dont really notice the difference between my two systems untill i start upping the resolution/aa/af

At 1280*1024 i see hardly anything at all.

When it comes to dvd encoding and the likes the difference is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anti wrote:
    IT really depends on what you are doing, For games i dont really notice the difference between my two systems untill i start upping the resolution/aa/af

At 1280*1024 i see hardly anything at all.

When it comes to dvd encoding and the likes the difference is huge.

Well you won't a difference because you aren't using games that are really going to stress either. Maybe try Supreme commando across 2 monitors, its supposed to make full use of multithreading with dual cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I don't think games will be using quad cores for a while, will they?
    Do they barely use dual cores?

I think there's other things to wait for if you plan to build this year, like PCI-e 2.0, DDR3 and the Core 2s that will come out that use them, like the Core 2 Duo E6650s and E6750s etc...
    To future proof, know the future! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BopNiblets wrote:
    I don't think games will be using quad cores for a while, will they?

Unreal Engine 3 uses 4 cores. I'd speculate that any new gaming engine will make use of > 2 cores (in an attempt to keep 2 core machines 100% busy). The screeny I saw of Rainbow 6 blah blah (which uses UE3) had 2 cores at 100% and 2 cores at around 30-40%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Exactly, it is a lot easier for game developers to add multi-threading support to games then it is to add 64bit support. Supreme Commander also makes use of how many cores the CPU has.

I'd say every game that has been in development for the last year or so will be released with multi-threading support, if not, then they'll at least have a patch to enable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It actually becomes progressively difficult to make use of extra processors in real-time for applications that are not clearly parallelisable (e.g. seti@home is easily parallelisable).

Part of game calculations are parallelisable for sure, but I think when 8 core machines become the norm, developers are going to struggle to make them all useful at the same time.

Advertisement