Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you want as the key election issues ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

redspider wrote:
    FF + PD's, surely they have had their stint at this and failed.
    http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/our_policies/energy/health_reform/

Harney hasn't done too bad, all things considered.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Het-Field wrote:

-New prison With More Places

The prison population is high enough. Do you we really need to spend tax payers money on another prison, would it not be better to set up community service programmes for minor offences, that way the offenders are giving something back to their communnity, and keep prison places for those who pose a genuine danger to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The prison population is high enough. Do you we really need to spend tax payers money on another prison, would it not be better to set up community service programmes for minor offences, that way the offenders are giving something back to their communnity, and keep prison places for those who pose a genuine danger to society.
    I read on the front page of the Irish Times today that it costs on average €450,000 to keep a Y.O. in a Y.O. institution. The cost for female Y.O.s the figure is closer to €750,000. Indeed, more people in prison is not the answer.

We also see in recent days that the system is failing to keep criminals from runnning their enterprises from within the confines of our prisons. What purpose exactly do these places serve? They are not rehabilitating these people. Effectively they are not locked up either if they can continue to commit crimes which effect people outside the prison.

I genuinely think that serious efforts need to be made at Y.O. level to intervene earlier in these people's lives. We also need to look at how social work is carried out to see if improvements can be made there. I'm not a social worker but I would imagine it is a very difficult job. I am sure there are situations where the social worker has to leave a child in a very negative environment because the alternative is worse. We also need to legalise adoption of children of married parents.

Het-Field wrote:
    1.Reform of Archaic Gun Legislation which
    -Allows For Guns In The home
    -Allows Local Superintendants Hand Out Gun Licences

2.Criminal Justice
    -Mandatory Life Sentences For Rape, Murder, Drug Dealing
    -Mandatory 30 year sentences for all heavily involved in Gangland Crime
    -Electronic Tagging
    -New prison With More Places

You missed boot camps or forcing the unemployed into the army. Guns in the home? Nonsense of the highest order. I'm not going to vote for a Columbine or Dunblane or Hungerford myself anyway. Mandatory sentences for murder? You'll be glad to know that has been the law for a rather long time, but don't let that get in the way of a rant. And I'd pity the sod who allows his friend a joint in return for the latter giving him a fiver towards his next purchase. Life? Positively hilarious.

None of my key issues would involve kneejerk bog standard right wing 'flog them all' stuff anyway.

You missed boot camps or forcing the unemployed into the army.
    Neither of those are PD policy as far as I am aware. The former is however an excellent FG policy.

Forcing unemployed to work is debatable. Some people just are unemployable.

Some people work in the black economy and still claim welfare i.e. gardeners, handymen, domestic help etc. I don't have much of a problem with these. They probably don't make enough in the black economy to actually support themselves but at least they are not idle.

Then again you have those actively engaged in crime and who are claiming welfare. This is unfair. The CAB takes care of the biggest offenders there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Delboy05 wrote:
    Immigration (asylum seekers, EU citizens, and work permit holders)
    Whats each party's plan.
    To FF/PD canidates;
    1. how has practically every asylum seeker who arrived here been allowed stay (except those that moved on voluntarily) through 1 loophole or another. Why deportation orders not acted on.
    2. why are people who's work permits have elapsed allowed stay here and pressure is now arising for an amnesty for them!!!!
    3. How many people are we expected to let in to this country....when the Irish population are in a minority?
    4. why are student visas still being handed out to chinese students when the dog on the street know that this is 1 huge scam.Most of them dont do to college, they work far more hours than they're visas allow and when their visas elapse, they just remain on here. Hence the chinese are now 1 of the biggest ethnic minorities here now.
    5. Labour law enforcments. When will the number of labour inspectors be increased so as to catch illegal immigrants and improve the lot of legal workers being abused by employers.

To all other candidates:
    what are your views on the above issues and what would your party do about it

1.Yes and what is there policy on the thousands of illegal Irish in the US.
    2. Will they back US Plans to round up these Irish and deport them back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/our_policies/energy/health_reform/
    Harney hasn't done too bad, all things considered.......

I had a read of that, and listened to her youtube video.

Now, first things first. Are you a PD supporter? If so, and perhaps this is something that should be included in all postings here, you should declare it. I am a 'swing' (neutral?) voter by the way and change (usually) at each election.

As to Mary's achievements in Health. She is only in the job 2.5 years. To say she is responsible for changes over 10 years is disingenuous. Also, some of the improvements she is talking about are relative and some even highly contentious. Increasing hospital infrastucture in a Government that has taken in more taxes (in absolute terms) is what would be expected. Fire-fighting with 'improving A&E' by 40% is a joke when that problem shouldnt be there in the first place! The same with cleanliness. These are not achievements in my book or indeed many Health officials and practicioners. The recent Prime Time programmes on Health highlighted some of the mess and Mary pulled out of being interviewed on that programme. Its not like her to send in a written statement so clearly she realises that at times its difficult to defend the problems.

I dont envy Mary or anyone the Ministerial position in the Health portfolio. But she has not been so radical or effective as she may have thought. I think she suited Industry and her switch with 'Mee-hall' Martin has not worked out. Granted it has been a short space of time, but that's why the FF/PD ticket needs to be looked at in its whole, and the progress over 10 years, especially in terms of Health.

Its true that the next 'shower' mightn't do any better, but 10 years is a long tenure. Its a fair crack of the whip and if improvements haven't been tangible, really tangible, then it would seem prudent to pick someone else and give them a shot. They may be worse or they may be better, but uless they are tried, we wont know.

Mary is okay though as a politician, and as a person, although at times I worry about her own health and sometimes she has been very 'right wing' in terms of her negotiation skills and economic positions, but she is certainly a good person to have in the Dail. Maybe a stint in opposition will see her shine as well!

Redspider

Party Affiliation: none
    Voting Intention: not decided yet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

redspider wrote:
    Fire-fighting with 'improving A&E' by 40% is a joke when that problem shouldnt be there in the first place!

Could you elaborate on that? Without improving A&E in the first place how could it not become a problem? I may have missed your point though.

Edit: Sorry, I think I was unclear myself in the above. Basically, this isn't a zero sum game. Our population has increased over the past 10 years so we were always going to have to improve A&E facilities etc just to maintain the then present standards (which I think we all agree were not high enough). Due to (needed) cut backs and the previous recessions, the health system that was inherited was sub standard and not in a state to deal with a population increase, never mind a substantial one. It was always going to be an uphill struggle and to just maintain the waiting list times that we all complained about needed investment! We have a low tax system and the framework of our national health system and the strength of the unions in this sector will make change difficult for any party who wants to maintain the present tax system status quo (which is all of the major ones). When analysing the health system it is not as simple as saying that there shouldn't be a problem with it. It was in trouble before the present Government took office and the fact that despite a substantial population increase it has not descended into total chaos is something that they should be at least lauded for, if not particularly loudly. They might not have effected major change within the system but they didn't leave it fall to pieces either and managed to make some headway. Perhaps not enough, that is arguable, but to accuse them of completely messing it up is either a)mis-informed or b) opposition spin tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

If you have visited Mountjoy one sees the need for a new prison. This is simply to afford convicts a reasonable standard of living. THey have to **** in a bucket, eat in their cells, sit in rooms with no ventalation, and in some cases tiny little cells have three or four to a room. A new prison would afford this new standard of living. Im not saying that rapists or murders should be held in the lap of luxuary, far from it. But a bigger prison would be a useful tool in keeping prison violence down, and it would also help with palcing new aminites in the prison. Furhtermore, a bigger prison would provide for longer sentencing for those who deserve it. While twelve year may sound a long time, relatively speaking its very short, and a larger prison with more places would allow the government investigate the possibility of extending sentencing. As things currently stands the sentences are short so the state can move prisoners on.

A new prison would have advantages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

You missed boot camps or forcing the unemployed into the army. Guns in the home? Nonsense of the highest order. I'm not going to vote for a Columbine or Dunblane or Hungerford myself anyway. Mandatory sentences for murder? You'll be glad to know that has been the law for a rather long time, but don't let that get in the way of a rant. And I'd pity the sod who allows his friend a joint in return for the latter giving him a fiver towards his next purchase. Life? Positively hilarious.

None of my key issues would involve kneejerk bog standard right wing 'flog them all' stuff anyway.

No, you misunderstood. I want the legislation reformed to remove guns from the home. Under the 1935 act one can get guns in the homes after an agreement with the local superintendat. The reform I want is to see regional gun clubs, with heavy security. This would allow the government keep a stringent track on all guns in the county. Furthermore, I dont want the local gardai having the power to throw around gun licences. Conflicts of interest occur, and that is unnacceptable.

Furthermore mandatory sentences have never been upheld. Its time they are.

This is not right wing rubbish or a flog em all attitude. Thats rubbish. I want sensible reform

You clearly dont understand the legislation, and what I said. Too blinded in having a go at the PD's and what you thought you read. I suggest you reread my earlier post, and read it with a clear head

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote:
    A new prison would have advantages
    A new prison may have advantages. Extra prison places is another issue.

Why do you think more of my tax money should be spent keeping people locked up for longer? What are the benefits?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Het-Field wrote:
    While twelve year may sound a long time, relatively speaking its very short...
    Relative to what, exactly? Twelve years is one-third of my life so far, and however I slice it it's quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Het-Field wrote:
    While twelve year may sound a long time, relatively speaking its very short...
    So I take it you won't mind FG taking the ministerial seats in the Dáil for a couple of terms then.

I expect the next 12 years will seem very long for the PDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Ibid wrote:
    So I take it you won't mind FG taking the ministerial seats in the Dáil for a couple of terms then.

I expect the next 12 years will seem very long for the PDs.

Nice change of context! he referred to "prison terms" and you seem to think "terms in government are the same thing". :) And FG would certainly have ministerial seats if they went into government with FF. I am not talking about the upcoming election but withing 20 years if FG dont get into government with Lab either Lab SF Greens or FG will have to go in with FF. I really doubt a SF PD Green Lab FG coalition. So they will have to get it this time or one will have to declare with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

nesf wrote:
    Could you elaborate on that? Without improving A&E in the first place how could it not become a problem? I may have missed your point though.

A&E as far as I can recall, was not as huge a problem back in 1997 as it is today. So in that sense, Mary Harney stating that A&E improvements in recent months is a major accomplishment is disingenuous to say the least. The A&E crises, and some other problems in the health service, have by and large happened under an FF/PD watch. FG/Lab have hardly been in power at all over the last 20 years so any inheritance was from FF/PD and FF, even FF/Lab.

> Basically, this isn't a zero sum game. Our population has increased over the past 10 years so we were always going to have to improve A&E facilities etc just to maintain the then present standards (which I think we all agree were not high enough). Due to (needed) cut backs and the previous recessions, the health system that was inherited was sub standard and not in a state to deal with a population increase, never mind a substantial one.

I agree, the demographics have changed both in size and in profile. An increase in the numbers of our older citizens puts more stress on health as does an increase in population and immigration. But having said that, costs going in adjusted for any normal figure of inflation have increased by an even bigger amount. It would be interesting to see the PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) figures per capita spent on the Health Services over the last 30 years or so and even better to have a study/report which can quantify the illness propensity/increase out of that due to numerous factors, age, lifestyle, etc.

> It was always going to be an uphill struggle and to just maintain the waiting list times that we all complained about needed investment! We have a low tax system and the framework of our national health system and the strength of the unions in this sector will make change difficult for any party who wants to maintain the present tax system status quo (which is all of the major ones).

Low PAYE income tax is a headline figure and not a true reflection of total tax take. I dont have the tax take to hand as a percentage of GNP or GDP or how much of that is spent on health. Ireland is not a high tax country, but there is quite a lot of tax going towards a large public service that includes the health service. Perhaps 30% of GNP is tax and pays for the public/civil service area and one third of that is spent on Health. I think this 10% figure is what I've heard mentioned elsewhere. Germany and France spend higher, 13% for the latter I understand, but they would seem to get far more value for that spend. That is the big thing with our Health 'system', its not the cost but the output/productivity. Or are we saying that as a nation we are less healthy than the French? Maybe so .... we cant be exactly the same.

> When analysing the health system it is not as simple as saying that there shouldn't be a problem with it.

I'm saying that there shouldnt be stupid problems with it that are solvable and a necessary minimum. eg: A&E. An old lady waiting on a chair for days is ridiculous. And for example, today we are hearing that many expectant mothers have to wait 5 months for their first scans such as in Galway. That is not good practice by any medical standard. The backlog could probably be got rid of simply I am sure if equipment and staff were made available, without the staff having to go off and look for 20% extra!

> It was in trouble before the present Government took office and the fact that despite a substantial population increase it has not descended into total chaos is something that they should be at least lauded for, if not particularly loudly.

Erm, I dont think anyone would state that the Health situation is a job well done. I dont even think Mary thinks that.

> They might not have effected major change within the system but they didn't leave it fall to pieces either and managed to make some headway. Perhaps not enough, that is arguable, but to accuse them of completely messing it up is either a)mis-informed or b) opposition spin tbh.

I'm not saying its the PD's fault, per se. I'm just saying that the problems in Health havent been remedied, and that many problems have appeared on the FF/PD watch since 1997.

Even though my handle is related to a spider I try and avoid spin !

Redspider

Party Affiliation: none
    Voting Intention: not decided yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

My number one issue is the Health Service. Along with all the usual A+E, consultants, nurses etc that are deemed important enough to form part if the various pledges being made, as a student physio the situation in both my and the other allied health professionals is bleak.

Most graduates cannot get jobs in Ireland, despite the fact that in-patients are not getting enough treatment, and out-patients face an 8 week+ wait to be seen, and this is after a referral from a consultant which in some cases can be a far longer wait too. Yet we have a situation where there can easily be over a hundred applicants for a basic grade physio post...

Similarly there are shortages in the amount of Radiographers, OTs, SALTs etc. Currently (as far as I'm aware) it's not that difficult to get a post, though it has been getting progressively harder in recent times (again despite a clear need for more posts) for graduates to get a job and in a few years this situation is likely to have escalated if action is not taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Education - if a silver bullet exists to solve the majority of society's problems in a generation or two, it's the education system. Pump it with resources and reform the out-dated curriculums where necessary. Provide for Life-Long Education instead of just waxing lyrical about it.

Competency and Honesty - no more tolerance of TD's lying about their qualifications, being given portfolios any man on the street can tell you they're unqualified to run, or in a nutshell "the right person for the right job".

Clean up the legal profession - Remove the self-regulation of Kings Inns and the Law Society. Give Fathers equity in the Family Courts. Clamp down on frivolous law-suits. No more allowing serial offenders to walk the streets. Ensure that those guilty of serious crimes do time.

End the corruption - Forget about tribunals that only serve to line Barrister's pockets. If there's evidence of corruption, the guilty party should stand trial in a criminal court. Re-introduce capital punishment for public representatives found guilty of corruption.

Health - This largely ties into my first point. The best way to improve people's health in this country is to educate them on proper health and nutrition. Teach this in our schools, provide the facilities and fund the sports programs etc for our youth and they'll live longer healthier lives than our generation.

Those are my main concerns. If there's a need to raise taxes to pay for this, I'm happy to pay my fair share as long as the 'golden circle' pay their fair share too.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sleepy wrote:
    Re-introduce capital punishment for public representatives found guilty of corruption.
    Let me get this clear: you're advocating executing politicians for taking bribes?

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Firstly, apologies for the late reply, I've been stupidly busy lately. :)
    redspider wrote:
    A&E as far as I can recall was not a huge problem as it is today back in 1997. So in that sense, Mary Harney stating that A&E improvements in receht months is a major accomplishment is disingenuous to say the least. The A&E crises, and other problems in the health service have by amd large happened under an FF/PD watch. FG/Lab have hardly been in power at all over the last 20 years so any inheritance was from FF.

It's a shared inheritance, via the Tallaght Strategy (cross party support) and from before then. It wasn't just FF. My point though was more that no matter who took on the role of Government, they would be starting from a sub-optimal position rather than blaming those who came before the present Government. I don't like the historic mudslinging that usually follows party-line argument so I try to avoid it.
    redspider wrote:
    I agree, the demographics have changed both in size and in profile. An increase in our older citizens puts more stress on health as does an increase in population and immigration. But having said that, costs going in adjusted for any normal figure of inflation have increased by an even bigger amount. It would be interesting to see the PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) figures per capita spent on the Health Services over thye last 30 years or so and a study/report which can quantify the illness propensity/increase out of that due to numerous factors, age, lifestyle, etc.

Those would be interesting figures alright.

It is a very complex situation though, with many different factors and is muddied by the media to a large extent imho.

redspider wrote:
    Low PAYE income tax is a headline figure and now a true reflection of total tax take. I dont have the tax take to hand as a percentage of GNP or GDP and how much of that is spent on health. Ireland is not a high tax country, but there is quite a lot of tax going towards a large public servichat includes the health service. Perhaps 30% of GNP is public service and one third of that on Health. I think this 10% figure is what I've heard appox elsewhere. Germany and France spend higher, but they would seem to get far more value for that spend. That is the big thing, its not the cost of our unionisd staff but their output/productivity. Or are we saying that as a nation we are less healthy than the French? Maybe so .... we cant be exactly the same.

Our overall tax take is not small, I agree. However, changes to the health system will be paid for over decades, not just one term. We may receive a lot of our tax take from companies now but that may change and we should avoid creating a health system which while excellent would be unsustainable in rough economic times (like France, essentially).

redspider wrote:
    I'm saying that there shouldnt be stupid problems with it that are solvable and necessary. For example, today we are hearing that many expectant mothers have to wait 5 months for their first scans. That is not good practice by medical standards. The backlog could probably be got rid of simply I am sure if equipment and staff were made available, withouth the staff having to go off and look for 20% extra!

I agree, but the strength and attitude of the unions is a problem independent of the Government (though, something that they need to either combat or work around/with). Look at other EU countries, France in particular, and see how unions and regulation can hold back reform in areas. It's tricky and I wouldn't solely lay the blame on either side in this but any reform in the Health Service is not going to happen in a vacuum.

redspider wrote:
    Erm, I dont think anyon can state that the Health situation is a job well done. I dont even think Mary thinks that.

I most definitely didn't mean to say that or come across that way. I think progress was made but that there is a long way left to go, though I'd honestly believe that this will always be the case with a health service - there will always be room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

1. Proper management and efficiency for all public services, especially Health. E.g. examine possible solutions such as separation of Accident and Emergency through introduction of more local clinics.

2. No more wasting public money. Barrier free road tolling will be the next big waste if the current plans are implemented.

3. Overall of everything to do with Justice and Law. For example, too many cases of rapists and killers walking free/ or on bail while non payers of fines take up prison spaces. (Why not use community service more?).

3.1 More protection for victims of crime, more punishment for scumbags. Anyone found guilty of damaging property should have to pay for the damage, in full.

3.2 Investigate decriminalising drugs - possibly at a European level.

4. Adequate provision for our future energy needs, our economic future depend on this..

4.1 Incentives (tax or otherwise) for those who conservere energy and/ or make their homes and business energy efficient. E.g. large grants and no tax on purchase and installation of solar heating a insulation.

4.2 Disincentives (fines and/or tax) to businesses and public services who waste energy or fail to implement measures to conserve energy. We don't have enough to waste...

5. Development of national public transport. For example parallel planning of rail links along with national/ motorway routes. If rails were laid down with the M50 extra lanes might not be required.

6. Development of bus and/or light rail in cities, towns, and rural areas where appropriate.

7. National wireless Internet access - 100% coverage.

8. Incentives for indigenous businesses and employers. Encourage investment in Irish business rather than property (esp. overseas property)

9. No stamp duty on property for 'owner occupiers.' Investors (especially those owning more than 2 properties) should bear the brunt, not those looking for somewhere to live.

10. Replacement of motor tax with a system which encourages purchase of efficient vehicles, e.g. include tax in price of fuel. Remove VRT, or at least do not apply it to safety features.

11. High quality education (and decent schools/ facilities) at all levels, starting from primary.

12. Make homelessness and poverty in Ireland a thing of the past.

13. Lots more but I'd be happy if the above could be achieved in 4 years!

Now to decide who to vote for...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Healthcare - an essential service

As far as I know, the number of very young people and old people is low now compared to the past. Surely these were the biggest burden on the health system.
    The increase in working people in the middle range should mean we are all using the health system less, therefore even if it had stayed the same as the 70s then it should be performing better(fewer people using it). Also most of the immigrants are in the middle group, of working age not older people, therefore more taxes should be going into the system now as well.

OK I could be wrong on this, I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I'm going to answer the door, and talk in Irish, and watch them sweat, In the unlikely chance their Irish is more then just plain hi and slán then I'll ask them about taxation, and why labour is reducing tax, and bin taxs etc etc.....

Whoever is last standing gets my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Cliste wrote:
    I'm going to answer the door, and talk in Irish, and watch them sweat, In the unlikely chance their Irish is more then just plain hi and slán then I'll ask them about taxation, and why labour is reducing tax, and bin taxs etc etc.....

Whoever is last standing gets my vote!
    Even if she/he tells you, as Gaelige, that they want to raise personal taxes to 60% flat, abolish all state sponsored health care and get our Army into Iraq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TomGunn

Health ....I think Mary Harney is doing a good job but more needs to be done
    Immigration.....a proper debate is needed...failed Asylum seekers must be deported....all loopholes must be closed...this scam has cost this country hundreds of millions.
    Broadband....we need to get real on broadband
    Justice....something must be done about our bail laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Health - it's a disgrace that after 10 years this government has got nowhere. The lack of cleaning and care in a well known Dublin hospital contributed to the death of my Grandmother. Waiting lists are a disgrace. The lack of mental health care is shocking. More people die of suicide than die on the roads. We need better care for our elderly and disabled too.
    You're right that is a disgrace, but you're wrong if you think its going nowhere. In the last year alone, the number of people waiting in A&E has fallen by 40% (according to the nurses themselves). The first ever hygiene audit was carried out under Mary Harney, and the number of 'clean' hospitals rose from 5 in that audit to 32 in the second audit. Waiting times for children's and adult's cardiac operations are now measured in months, not years like they were in 1997. Cancer survival rates are up. Breast cancer screening didn't exist 10 years ago. Now it is available nationally.

In terms of mental health, sucide rates have fallen each and every year since Tim O'Malley took office.

Care of the elderly has been prioritised in the two budgets since Harney took charge. Home care help packages are set to increase five fold thanks to the extra 400 million invested over the last two years. In addition, there has been an increase of 1,800 nursing home beds over the past two years and new Care and Welfare Regulations and an independent inspection regime have been brought in to protect patients. Furthermore, Harney was the first minister for health to grasp the nettle of the illegal nursing home charges, an issue which had been going on for 29 years.

On care for the disabled, the Fianna Fáil/PD government inherited a shoe-string budget from the previous administration, so if you think that either Labour or Fine Gael prioritise investment in disabilities, you would be wrong. Over the life time of the last government, 800 new places were provided for people with intellectual or physical disability or autism. This was matched with an extra 800 frontline staff. I have witnessed the complete refurbishment of disability facilities in my own locality with the construction of the new Enable Ireland centre (formerly CPI).
    Crime - it's increasing. I feel less safer on the streets than even 3 years ago. Anti-Social behaviour is getting out of control. We also need drastic changes in our justice system, its a joke, McDowell has to go.
    You're right, we do need drastic changes, but McDowell is the one to bring them in. Legislation brought in by McDowell has established the Garda Ombudsman, the Garda Inspectorate and Local Policing Committees. Garda numbers have increased by 3,500 since 1997 (10,800 vs 14,300) and funding has doubled. McDowell was the one who brought in Anti-Social Behaviour Orders. More prison space is being opened with additional places in Cork and Portlaoise, as well as a proposed new prison in north Dublin.

McDowell has also introduced longer life sentences. Previously, prisoners were entitled to a review after seven years. Now atleast 15 years must have passed in the case of a murder committed in the course of violent criminality before a murderer can be considered for release.

CCTV systems are being substantially improved. Retention of DNA and fingerprint samples has been made indefinite. Detention times for murder kidnapping and other gangland-related offences will be increased to seven days. Immigration law has been overhauled. More judges are being brought in to speed up the justice process. Videoconferenceing of court proceedings will do the same. Mandatory drug tests have been introduced in our prisons. The manner in which Gardaí are promoted has been modernised to ensure accountability and transparency. Access to civil legal aid has been improved. Penalties for the assault or obstruction of emergency workers have been strenghtened. The Garda Reserve has been brought in to back up Gardaí 'on the beet'. A new offence of 'reckless endagerment of children' has been brought into law. New offences for modification of firearms has been introduced. In 1997 there were 12 youth diversion programmes. Today there are 74. The Government has also approved the modernisation of the defamation law. Land Law has also been modernised - some aspects of statute law dated back to the 13th century. Changes have been made to parental leave. Electronic tagging is contained within the Crinimal Justice Bill, but, unlike the Fine Gael proposal, such activity will be civilianised so as not to consume Garda resources. The coronor service has been reformed...

I could go on, but I'm getting tired, and I still have to address your other points. What I'm trying to get at is that McDowell has brought in more 'drastic changes' than any justice minister in the history of the state. He can not be accused of not being a reforming minister. And on a technical point, headline crime has decreased over the past three quarters.
    Poverty - As Cowen showed yesterday, this government is happy to ignore the most in need. We need a government who will go out of the way to look after the most vulnerable.
    You're right. We do need a government who will look after the most vulnerable. But the most vulnerable don't live in Ireland, where poverty is defined at 60% of median income. In the developing world, poverty is defined as living on less than a dollar a day. And Ireland's track record of combatting global poverty is exemplary. The increases in funding have been such that IrishAid has had to send what amounts to a receipt of expenditure to every household in Ireland in order to maintain transparancy, accountability and public support. One of IrishAid's biggest challenges is coping with the large increase in resources and personnel.
    Young people - €500,000+ mortgage? F**k off, I don't have a chance of ever buying a house. It's an absolute national scandal our current government's collusion with their property developer buddies. We need a government who care about the young people in our nation instead of looking after the property developers and the property investors.
    I don't stand a chance of living in the area I've grown up in, been educated and work in. That is why I'm so vocal about supporting Sen. Tom Morrissey's Dublin Bay Plan, which involves the relocation of Dublin Port to Bremore, freeing up the whole port area for high-density development. Yeah, the developers will get another bit of land to make profit from, but what the hell do I care so long as it eases the pressure to sprawl.
    Environment - we, Ireland are heading towards catastrophe within 50 years. What does our current government do? Spend most of the environment's budget on poluting the environment even more! We need a government who care about our future and invest hugely in an eco-friendly society and economy. It will reap rewards for our future generations.
    The list of government failures in this area is as long as your arm. Dick Roche is a sham and a national liability. However, to give a bit of good news on the subject for a change, Ireland's target recycling rate of 35%, which we were scheduled to reach in 2013, was reached last year.

I'm too tired to continue at the mo, but I'll be back! I just want to finish by stating that the following is a complete fabrication:
    I also want to see a guarantee that 3rd level fees don't return as we know the PDs want them back.

It was FF who considered the reintroduction of college fees. The PDs under Mary Harney threw a fit and it became clear they would quit the government. The proposal was dropped.

Advertisement