Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion for LC

Options
  • 15-03-2007 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hello there! I have to pick my subject for LC fairly soon and I'd been thinking abour Religion as from what I;ve seen it looks pretty intersting. Can anyone tell me here if theyve done it and what was it like? What kind of material is covered etc.? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

PM Jakkass, he never stops going on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

JC 2K3 wrote:
    PM Jakkass, he never stops going on about it.

LOL:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I didn't do it, but it seems easy enough, especially if you're interested in that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

:eek: NO WAY!?!?!!!:eek: .................religion is a 'REAL' subject in the L.C. ....right.... (no comment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I would advise being very religiously inclined if you want to take up this subject otherwise it really is a deeply boring and yet highly complicated LC subject. I don't do the actual examed subject but in my school we do have it compulsory as a form class (a complete waste of valuable time but thats not for here) and we have heard so much of the course from our teacher and needless to say the scope of your knowledge must extend far beyond christianity. Don't just look upon it as easy points. But if you are a fan of religion it shouldn't be in anyway difficult and more than likely you'll enjoy it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

hahaha...religion.......ive never heard of something so ridiculas in my life! how is that even an academic subject??

In my experience only devout Catholics seem to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

I would like to study atheism for the lc. Can I claim discrimination???:D :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There's a difference between studying religion as an exam subject and religion not as an exam subject. As far as I can tell, as an exam subject it's not just "Ok kids, this is jesus." It actualy goes into comparative religiosity, theory of stuff, yadda yadda. I wouldn;t do it, but I'm told it's interesting. By a very not christan friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah I found out a bit more about it, in my school you have compulsory RE which is Dominican Ethos blahdey blahdey blah etc. In the actual LC cours eitself it goes from the Socratic Greek philosophers right up to comtemporary spirituality, with a lot of focus on world religions, it looks interesting so I think i will choose it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

i did religion for the JC and i found it very boring
    i don't know what the LC paper is like but if your not really really interested in religion i wouldn't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

As others have said yeah I like doing Religion for LC, it's a very interesting course. And no you don't have to be a "devout Catholic"as JC 2K3 has described theres a good amount of humanist and greek philosophy on the course. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions Piste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Why do I always imagine the paper to be something like:

Who is our saviour?
    (a) Roy Keane
    (b) Bertie Ahern
    (c) Jesus Christ
    (d) Buddha

Well all you need do is check the PDF of the exam on the examinations.ie site.
    Theres also a coursework project like the History or Geography ones.

Jakkass wrote:
    As others have said yeah I like doing Religion for LC, it's a very interesting course. And no you don't have to be a "devout Catholic"as JC 2K3 has described theres a good amount of humanist and greek philosophy on the course. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions Piste.
    Actually, I simply meant that anyone I know doing it is a devout Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I'm not sure how it's taught but I think LC Religion could have the potential to be a brilliant subject. A history type once I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Only like 80 people in the entire country do it every year.......So that pretty much tells you everything you need to know right there.

Nehpets wrote:
    I'm not sure how it's taught but I think LC Religion could have the potential to be a brilliant subject. A history type once I suppose
    I can't see it being taught objectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Why do I always imagine the paper to be something like:

Who is our saviour?
    (a) Roy Keane
    (b) Bertie Ahern
    (c) Jesus Christ
    (d) Buddha

Roy Keane of course.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Only like 80 people in the entire country do it every year.......So that pretty much tells you everything you need to know right there.

My god:eek: its even less popular than......Physics!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

JC 2K3 wrote:

Me either. Which is a shame.

Well not really for me since I won't ever have a chance of doing the leaving again! Well I hope not!

JC 2K3 wrote:
    We don't have anything shoved down our throats, we are perfectly free to discuss anything after we've covered it etc. Infact a lot of people in my Religion class are non-theists, so it's good for everyone so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

JC 2K3 wrote:

True but the same could be said for soemthing like the Irish history section of History...our teacher grew up in Belfast during the troubles...let's just say it's interesting when we get onto topics like the British army etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Naikon wrote:
    My god:eek: its even less popular than......Physics!
    Actually Physics is quite popular with over 7500 people doing the exam in the leaving last year (5300 sat the honours paper).Also I made a mistake earlier, last year 230+ sat the religion exam, but the year before it was indeed under 80 people.Also the least popular exams in last years leaving cert were Dutch and Portugese, both with only 22 people (for each subject) in the entire country doing the exams (theres also only level to do it at.No pass/honours).Japanese comes in as the 2nd most unpopular exam, with only 55 people sitting it (40% of the people who sat it got an A1........I'm thinking its either a really easy exam, or they were all Japanese anyways).

Hell more people sat the exam in Latin last year than the people who sat Durch, Japanese and Portugese combined!What the hell is that about?Who the **** does Latin?!

O.O

Advertisement