Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs in Cork City?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, myself and 5 other lads from |Donegal are headin for Cork City for Paddys Day for a mad session, none of us have ever been to Cork so does anyone have any good advice for pubs with good atmosphere? Trad music, or good lively bands not that intrested in Nightclubs(they're all the same!!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Daithí Locha

Dan Lowrey's, The Long Valley, and The High B (where you'll be sha**ed) out if you use a mobile!) are among the best. There are hundreds of good pubs though.

Enjoy ST PATRICK'S weekend anyway. The phrase 'Paddy's day' drives me nuts! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Its actually re-opening tonight I think??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm more interested at the notion of the welly-wearing festival that is the average night in Rearden's being described as "good". God, words fail me when it comes to describing how little I like the place.

My suggestions would be Preachers, Crane Lane, Franciscan Well, The Bierhaus, The Slate, The Gateway. Possibly a few more but off the top of my head they'll do...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Rearden's is a **** hole cattle mart would not recommend going there full of horny Famers and pig ugly women dont go there if you have any sense would recommend club classic good spot or the old oak An Brog or Crane Lane all good spots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Reardens is a nice pub......until people come in. Once people come in some **** DJ rachets up the volume to seventy trillion decibels and loses all taste in music. It's probably so all the clientele with their heads up their holes can hear it.

Ditto to what Fysh said and add Tom Barrys if you're on Barraca or the LV if you're in that part of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Bodega and the mutton lane inn. wouldn't spit on reardens but you'll probably pull there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

agreed... Reardens is the pits. Wouldn't entirely agree with the Bodega, last time I went in there it was full of 'morketing' types. Mutton Lane Inn is a definate though, if you can squeeze in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Bodega is closed. I agree with FYSHs sentiments for Reardens. Its reopening was described to me from some idiot ol doll I work with as "its going to be some lauuuuuuuuugh". How being crushed and paying over the odds for crap drinks escapes me, not to mention there are 2 types of people that enjoy going there - muppets and morons.

Someone mentioned The Gateway - unfortunateky under its new ownership its a dive, which is a crying shame as under the previous owners it was the best pub in Cork. last time I was there some old drunk pissed himself at the bar, and the barman served him again 2 minutes later. No bull.

Tom Barrys is the spot on Barracka now. The Oval on South Main Street is a great spot. Sin é will be ram jam on the other side of the city, but a great spot all the same. Cleavers is a good spot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I thought the bodega was still open for a while before it's to be gutted and turned into.... whatever it's being turned into.

Cleavers is nice, gets very packed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

rymus wrote:
    I thought the bodega was still open for a while before it's to be gutted and turned into.... whatever it's being turned into.

According to the Echo during the week (so it must be true) it'll reopen as a pub again in a couple of weeks for a few months while they figure out what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 odonaghue

I'm totally confused now buti'm sure the Stout will lead us in the right direction, if not it'll prob some blond with big.... Say no more!!! Thanks to all who replied and hope you all have a Mad Jumpin Fantastic "St. Patricks Day"!!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

gimmick wrote:
    Someone mentioned The Gateway - unfortunateky under its new ownership its a dive, which is a crying shame as under the previous owners it was the best pub in Cork. last time I was there some old drunk pissed himself at the bar, and the barman served him again 2 minutes later. No bull.
    I believe you. I went in there a couple of months ago and I couldn't believe the complete knackers they had in the place.

Jesus, the Old Oak is just as bad as Reardans. The only way you could improve either place is to put a rake of mirrors up outside; that way the current clientele would be so busy admiring themselves they'd never get in the door.

Although it's probably more likely they'd get so confused by their own reflections they'd have to go home with a headache.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Franciscan Well is a great pub but not so much for watching the match

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Disappointed to hear the Gateway's after going to the dogs, there seems to be a few pubs that have gone downhill of late. The new LV is rubbish, the Phoenix seemed to be fantastically reborn as the Blues Bar but is now full of scumbags (in the last 2 weeks I've seen people openly snorting coke in the bar and heard about at least 1 person getting glassed in there), the Bodega seems to be on its last legs, Kennedy's turned into Sinners which was actually decent (albeit with a sticky floor that you didn't want to ask about) but then turned to crap again in its latest incarnation as Sinners... any other formerly decent pubs that have been turned to crap by new management?

Edit:

D'oh. Sinners was good, Ziggy's is the new crap incarnation. Not that I get easily confused or anything...

I say we rent a minibus and go on the piss in Cobh. If all the knackers are in pubs in Cork, all the pubs in Cobh should be empty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Good Christ, at this rate I think I'm better off staying at home :( Come back The Old College Bar, all is forgiven!

• Advertisement

Sober Lane's a great one actually, I've yet to be disappointed by a trip there. Decent music, decent crowd and for those it affects, one of the two best smoking areas in town (on a par with, if not better than, the one in Scotts).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

dahamsta wrote:
    I say we rent a minibus and go on the piss in Cobh. If all the knackers are in pubs in Cork, all the pubs in Cobh should be empty. :)

Nope - Celtic jerseys everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I walked passed the LV yesterday and saw that its lost all its old charm. It didn't have those old wooden seats anymore and had some metal minimalist chairs. They simply ruined it!

Sober Lane as already mentioned is fantastic. Has pizzas served until 12 and they are a good enough price and very tasty after a few pints in ya.

Mutton Lane on Patrick St is a nice pub with a great atmosphere.... well a nice atmosphere if its just you and the missus.

Washinton Street area si probably the best if you want to see a few pubs quickly. On North Main St you could start with the Raven or the Castle Inn. They both are at opposite ends of the spectrum so you can quickly decide which you prefer. Then just around the corner is Cleavers which is a good old laugh. Darts board and pints. Nout is really better.
    Turning the corner once more brings you to the Courthouse Tavern. I simply love this pub if I'm out with the lads. It may have no chairs but I always find it has a good hussle and bussle inside.
    I suppose Costigans wouldn't be too bad if there is a lot fo you either, its big and its a late bar too I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Sober lane is a head wreck at teh weekend, packed out the doors.

costigans on washington st has a nice smoking area too

Advertisement