Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords bulbs ^ bulb recommendations

Options
  • 15-03-2007 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Had a few light issues on the missus scenic (00) A while after she got it last year there was an issue with the brake light flashing when the indicator was turned on. When I took out the bulb holder the cables were strained where someone (im guessing the previous owner fairly obviously had problems unclipping it (I'm guessing they didnt know there was a clip and thought brut force was the best way to take it out) and was yanking it by the wires. There was half an old bulbn in the cluster that gave further evidence that they werent the gentlest when changing bulbs.

Anyway, I got new bulb holders and cables from a breaker on ebay and put in the new brake light (the brake light blowing is what started it all) and they worked fine for a few mins but then a while later I noticed that when the lights are on the brake light is on full like she is driving with her foot on the brake (also looks like a fog light as most people arent going to know from behind that its the brake light)

This is getting long winded. :)

So tonight I went to have a fiddle to see if I could sort it, and through much messing around and changing bulbs around the situation was getting worse. Then when I swapped the bulb the brighter filiment that comes on when you brake was lighting at all. So I checked the mothers clio and the bulbs are the same. Tried the brake bulbs from the clio in the scenic and hey presto, everythign works perfectly. Put the Halfords bulb back in and it looks like a fog light again. I'm neearly sure the last time bulbs were gotten for the clio they were gotten from a Renault dealer. They had writing on them "hella" somethign or other and voltages etc. The halfords bulbs have nothing on them, although they look pretty much the same.

So, to the question. Are Halfords bulbs just crap ? Or are the bulbs faulty/ the worng bulbs? ( they were the ones in the catalogue for the scenic?

Anyone any recommendations for good bulbs? They look like a fairly standard push in and twist,2 filament brake bulb.

Sorry bout the yowage post.Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Halfords bulbs could well be just crap.

Make sure that there is no corrosion in the plug connectors to the bulb holders and also clean any earthing points in the luggage compartment.

Hella bulbs are a decent enough brand, but make sure that the pins offsets match the bulb holder correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

crosstownk wrote:
    Halfords bulbs could well be just crap.

Make sure that there is no corrosion in the plug connectors to the bulb holders and also clean any earthing points in the luggage compartment.

Hella bulbs are a decent enough brand, but make sure that the pins offsets match the bulb holder correctly.

As far as the bulb holders go, I've 2 sets of them and both do the same thing with the halfords bulb.so I think I'm ok on that front. Seems to be the stupid bulbs. Thnk I'll try a differentr brand and steer clear of Halfords bulbs from now on. If nothing else than to just avoid all the hassle of the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've seen loads of 99-01 Megans/Scenics with that same issue. I think its their wiring. So replacing the lights may not fix the issue

All bulds should be the same quailty, unless you buy some that fell off the back of a lorry;) Any motor factors should do bulds.

Are you sure you didn't put the buld in backwards? Did you try the bad bulbs in the Clio?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Hi Stekelly,

I've had similar problems with some of my cars, especially my meagne and 306.
    It's seems that the problem is a bad earth.
    Each time i've just brought a new piece of wire from the light board earth ( were the case of all the bulbs connects) to the body of the car somewhere. I drill a small hole near the back of the light and use a self tapping screw to fix the new wire to the body.
    This creates a new stronger earth and has fixed the problem for me.

Advertisement