Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux & Me

• 15-03-2007 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Having recently seen this video I was convinced to switch to Linux, at least to try it out.

Now, let me stress this. I had a bloody awkward time getting Ubuntu to work with my ****ty Dell Dimension (which is specifically tailored for XP even though it sucks on that). I had to learn how to do shell commands for installs and search all over the net for drivers, uninstall conflicting programs and all that bollox. But now that it is all over, I am enjoying the fruits of Ubuntu Linux.

For one, it works. It never gives you errors, for example, blue screen of death. "> I'm sorry but your PC has crashed and is permanantly ****ed for no good reason, tough ****.". It is well layed-out and has access to 1000s of free softwares for you to download.

As for internet, it is astonishing. Firefox on its own is lightning fast. Then you can edit "about:config" and get it to go even faster. Now (with Linux only) you can download "Swiftfox", which is even faster, if you can imagine.

I downloaded a program called "Beryl". It is basically a emulator of the 3D Windows Vista interface, except it's free, doesn't require you to buy a totally new system, fork out a few hundred dollars for new hardware or pay 200+ euros for a buggy as **** OS.

Now, the PC I am on has 1.5 ghz Intel Processor, 256 RAM and a ****ty on-board graphics card and it is running this 3D interface with NO hic-ups. It is multi-tasking like no tomorrow when in actually fact, it shouldn't.

Basically, if you're sick of the unreliability of XP and the barbaric usage of RAM promoted by Windows XP/Vista, install Ubuntu Linux and give it a go.

Sure what the heck, IT'S FREE.

www.ubuntu.com

:cool:

Plus, I mean the license agreement with Windows Vista is Orwellian.

You pay 200-400 for the thing in the first place, but you never actually own it. It is "licensed" to you. You can only install it on one system, EVER. If you want to put it on another PC you need to delete it fully from the first one then put it on the other one. It requires so much hardware because it is FULL of spyware monitoring what you do and advising you on what to do. It also has permission to delete programs deemed "illegal" or "spyware" without asking you. Considering Big Brother is watching us on camera every day now we can't even have a **** without being monitored :p

Basically, Vista restricts your freedom, money and will maliciously corporatise the files you save on it to be compatible with Microsoft systems only. Using Linux, in my opinion, is not only a wise, efficient, helpful thing to install on your own and many other computers but it is only a humanitarian thing to do. Software should be free in money terms and private terms. It worries me that Microsoft being the biggest IT company in the world would want to still scrounge every last penny from people and restrict their freedoms. I suppose it's the main component of a multi-million dollar industry.

Install Linux for world peace! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does the phrase "Preaching to the Choir" mean anything to you? :p

Good to hear you're having a good experience, though the FUD, pomp and hyperbole could have been left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm actually downloading Ubuntu at the moment. Been using Suse 10.2 for a couple of days and I'm not happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Good to hear you're having a good experience, though the FUD, pomp and hyperbole could have been left out.

request this be moved to the windows forum:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have been using Ubuntu on an old Dell 1.8ghz with 1gb RAM for a few weeks now and I am very happy with the way thinks are working out. In addition to using the desktop I am running samba and using the pc as a file server for a small wireless network. Everything seems to be working great.

The only windows program I miss is photoshop so I am trying to get to grips with The Gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

So Glad wrote:
    Install Linux for world peace! :cool:
    I for one blame Bill Gates for original sin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

I'm not sure I follow. Am I going good, or going bad? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

KTRIC wrote:
    I'm actually downloading Ubuntu at the moment. Been using Suse 10.2 for a couple of days and I'm not happy with it.

I thought it was just me. Anything in particular you dont like, or is it just a general "feeling" ?

I cant really put my finger on it, but I much preferred my Debian installation from last year.

For one reason or another I've been running XP exclusively since early last year, and I snagged Suse from a coverdisc a few weeks back and decided to go back to Linux. But meh....I think I'll grab Debian again. :)

Shiva wrote:
    I thought it was just me. Anything in particular you dont like, or is it just a general "feeling" ?

I cant really put my finger on it, but I much preferred my Debian installation from last year.

For one reason or another I've been running XP exclusively since early last year, and I snagged Suse from a coverdisc a few weeks back and decided to go back to Linux. But meh....I think I'll grab Debian again. :)

Why not give "Dream Linux" a bash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Welcome to the beardy club* :)

*beard not actually required
    So Glad wrote:
    I downloaded a program called "Beryl". It is basically a emulator of the 3D Windows Vista interface, except it's free, doesn't require you to buy a totally new system, fork out a few hundred dollars for new hardware or pay 200+ euros for a buggy as **** OS.
    One small point is that Beryl came from Compiz, which was released in January of last year, so it actually predates Vista.

So Glad wrote:
    Why not give "Dream Linux" a bash?
    Oh oh see what you did there lol!

• Advertisement

Oh oh see what you did there lol!

I don gerrit. :confused:

So Glad wrote:
    I don gerrit. :confused:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASH

Nerd jokes √16 ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASH

Nerd jokes √16 ever

Oh yeah, you found me out. Wuz testin' your knowledge.

You passed. :cool:

Blowfish wrote:
    Welcome to the beardy club* :)

*beard not actually required

I had a beard but I could grow one again, given I know what benefits this "Beardy Club" sustains. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I have been using FreeBSD 6.2 for 3 weeks now, and I am very impressed with it so far.
    I dont have to install new updates every day which is a plus, and FreeBSD appears to offer better reliability than windows(No BSODS:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I've only just installed Mandriva on my system yesterday. I'm completely new to the whole Linux thing but as mentioned in the opening post what your given with the distro including all the software you'd have to pay for with windows& I think people are mad not to give it a chance. The Linux file system will be something that is going to take me a while for me to get my head around & installing software on Linux....The biggest problem is that I've been Microsoftised for too long!;)

Advertisement