Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Site size & distance of house from road

• 15-03-2007 1:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

It probably varies from county to county but is there a minimum distance that a new house should be from the road.

I'm looking at a half acre site in a rural location and would like to build a 2000 sq ft bungalow on it. Unfortunately the site is only 100 ft deep. If the house is say 65ft wide X 30ft deep then there is only 70ft left for front and back garden - say roughly 35ft for front and back.

So is 35ft too near the road?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A few things to look out for. Is there an established building line along the road? What is the status of the road, ie is it local, or regional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Hi Smashey

The only other house on the road is my parents' and that is almost ON the road.

As for the road designation - I don't really know. Probably local - good point, though, I'll check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The building lines are contained in the Development Plan for the county. There would possibly be a reduction in the distance when there is an adjacent house.

Check if the devp. plan is available online - most of them are - and you can look this up yourself. Alternatively pop in or phone the local planning office and they will be happy to advise. You may need the road number first which you can get from your local council roads office.

I take it you have a lot more area to the side of the site

muffler wrote:
    I take it you have a lot more area to the side of the site

Yes, the site is 220 ft wide approx.

Thanks for the input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

How long is your parent's house there?

I can't see this having any bearing as it was probably built in a time of 'lax' regulations..

• Advertisement

paulocon wrote:
    How long is your parent's house there?
    Since before time began:)

I'm thinking of having a pre-planning meeting to see if the site is suitable.

Anyone any experience of these.?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 keyplan

General rules for a rural dwelling.

Min. site area - 0.5 acre.
    Min. from front of house to site boundary - 40ft.
    Min. frontage (i.e. distance between side boundaries at road) - 100ft.
    Min. from side of building (including garage if attached to house) to side boundary - 20ft.
    Min. from rear of house to rear boundary - 35ft.

Hope the above is helpful ;)

keyplan wrote: »
    General rules for a rural dwelling.

Min. site area - 0.5 acre.
    Min. from front of house to site boundary - 40ft.
    Min. frontage (i.e. distance between side boundaries at road) - 100ft.
    Min. from side of building (including garage if attached to house) to side boundary - 20ft.
    Min. from rear of house to rear boundary - 35ft.

Hope the above is helpful ;)
    While your input is appreciated you should look at the date of the last post. There is really no need to drag up a 15 month old thread as it serves no purpose now.

Welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

muffler wrote: »
    While your input is appreciated you should look at the date of the last post. There is really no need to drag up a 15 month old thread as it serves no purpose now.

Welcome to the forum.
    Idon't know Muffler.. I like his enthusiasm and attention to detail. :D Plus a bit of simplification is never a bad thing

muffler wrote: »

Welcome to the forum.

I wasn't aware of a time limit on posting answers to questions? My reply was for the benefit of people that might have the same query. After all I just came across the post this morning myself. In my experience it's a common enough query.
    I just thought it would be a little more helpful than telling a lay person to wade through their local development plan!

• Advertisement

Just to explain. The information was required in March 07 by the OP so its reasonable to assume that he/she either got an answer here or got an answer from his local council. To post a reply 17 months later does not help the OP at this stage and given the time lapse a lot of requirements could have changed.

Now while keyplan did use the word "general" I would point out that in Donegal for example none of the 5 different minimums stated are applicable under the requirements of the County Development Plan.

Every forum operates this way. Its not a positive contribution to drag up a 15 month old thread and in doing so it makes us (the mods) to look carefully as to why it has been dragged up. For example yesterday a new user here dragged up a 3 month old thread just so as he could post a link to his daddy's business. Pimping a business is in breach of the charter and he wont be doing it again.

Hopefully this explains the matter and Id rather leave it at that now as discussing modding advice or decisions on thread is not allowed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

to be honest id have to say keyplans post was over simplified to the point of being incorrect for many applications....

many CDP have different min site areas
    distances between side boundaries or rear boundarys are not 'Rules', good practise maybe but certainly not requirements...
    front buildnig line is directly linked to the classification of public road and existing building lines
    road frontage requirements vary widely between LAs...

When I replied to the thread it was taken as read that Podge 3 knows that the rules vary from county to county, as he had stated in his initial query. My reply was a general answer to give him some idea on a short term basis.

For a post that was a waste of time replying to there seems to be a hell of a lot of interest shown. Long live free speech!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

13 months later is hardly 'short term'....

Long live free speech!
    Please read the last line of my previous post.

Oh and this is a privately owned site open to the public and there is no such thing as free speech here which you will soon discover if you persist with posting comments on modding decisions or off topic comments.

Bloody Hell! Sorry I bothered now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Long live free speech!

Free speech?

Eh.... not in this instance.

Locked unless muffler thinks otherwise.

smashey wrote: »
    Locked unless muffler thinks otherwise.
    Its not for me to judge the depth of your inebriation. :D