Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Line

Options
  • 15-03-2007 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭

A friend of mine got his line tested for broadband and got Amber. He is two miles from exchange, what are the chances of getting broadband .

Stan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

His chances are pretty good.:)
    At just 2 miles it should be a green pass though so there is probably a line problem somewhere. All amber passes I've come across recently have required an Eircom engineer visit (at no cost) to do the setup and sort out any problems.
    2 things to tell him:
    1. Order BB asap while the line test is amber. Borderline test results can change to a fail very easily for a variety of reasons.
    2. Order from Eircom, as much as it pains me to say it. They'll be quicker to sort out any line problems if the order is with them. He can switch after 6 months if he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭pyzon

my line came up amber and i am 100mtrs from exchange in a new house with new Eircom cabling :)

I'm guessing it was the Sky+ unit but who knows, anyway no issues just ordered and as soon as modem arrived it was ready for use even though Eircom had given me a date 5 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I guess by Amber you mean a conditional pass?

My line conditionally passed recently (after failing for years). I'm with BT (though check was done on the eircom site) who sent out a modem and switched it on.

I reckon it's all part of the recent drive by eircom to get more passes, they might be passing more partial lines and chancing that they'll work. The line stats for my line are well dodgy (SNR 6-7dB, LA 50+dB) but the broadband works fine with occasional disconnects (once or twice daily for about 1min).

Still though, anything is better than dialup!!! I say go for it - order the broadband and see from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

He did mention about a Eircom Engineer coming out to check the line at a cost of €30. Is this normal, His Dial up is very bad low speeds and keeps getting cut off.

Advertisement