Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On the spot fine for using buslane?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

My mate was pulled over this morning for using a buslane. The Guard wrote something in his diary but never issued a fine then and there. Should he expect anything in the post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

In short, yes. On the spot doesn't mean you have to pay there and then. It's all entered electronically and he'll get a fine in the post in a few weeks. Once that's paid, he'll get points (if applicable) soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

6ix wrote:
    In short, yes. On the spot doesn't mean you have to pay there and then. It's all entered electronically and he'll get a fine in the post in a few weeks. Once that's paid, he'll get points (if applicable) soon after.
    But he wasn't told he would be getting a fine? I wasn't aware that using the buslane was a penalty points offence?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

Probably comes under the Failure to comply with traffic lane markings one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All the evidence we see here on this forum in myriads of posts like this points to the fact that the Gardai are notoriously bad at letting people they stop for offences like this know what they're being stopped for and what is actually going to happen.

I just don't get it. In other countries they outline exactly what the offence is that you're being stopped for and they explain what will happen .. fine in the post, possible court appearance, points etc., before they let you go. Why on earth can't this be done here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

fletch wrote:
    But he wasn't told he would be getting a fine? I wasn't aware that using the buslane was a penalty points offence?

That's why I said "if applicable". I don't know whether or not it's a penalty points offence.

The time I got penalty points, the Garda was quite straightforward with the info, but it does seem to be a problem from hearing other's experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Agrred Alun. I think the reason drivers don't ask outright what's going on is the fear that if they mention points, they might put an idea on to the head of a Garda who was going to let them off with a caution.

The Gardai don't mention what's going on in order to reduce drivers "pleading" with them to let them off, as one Garda I know put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there wont be points, should be a 60 quid fine

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Alun wrote:
    All the evidence we see here on this forum in myriads of posts like this points to the fact that the Gardai are notoriously bad at letting people they stop for offences like this know what they're being stopped for and what is actually going to happen.

I just don't get it. In other countries they outline exactly what the offence is that you're being stopped for and they explain what will happen .. fine in the post, possible court appearance, points etc., before they let you go. Why on earth can't this be done here too?
    How many countries have you been stopped in?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rondeco wrote:
    How many countries have you been stopped in?
    3 .. UK, Holland, Belgium. All (minor) speeding offences on motorways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Alun wrote:

Unlike most countries, our Guards are still quite fond of the "slap across the wrist" approach. In all the times i've been stopped, i've only ever been charged once. Funnily enough, that was for driving in a bus lane (late for a wedding).

• Advertisement
Advertisement