Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food when recovering from Gastroenteritis?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Hi, The lil one has had a bad dose of Gastroenteritis and is recovering now. However she has not been able to take solids in the past week. We want to start her back on something light today so can anyone suggest an ideal food on the tummy with the least likelihood of seeing it again in some shape or form within 20 minutes of consumption!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How old is your little one ?

I would suggest banananananana blanamange. It is bit like cusatrd but with out the eggs so is lighter on the tummy.
    I pot of it can be made up and portioned out and used over the space of a day to get her back on her feet so to speak.
    Preparation time:
    Cooking time: 3 minutes
    10 minutes
    Prepare in advance - should be allowed to cool and set.
    Or can be served hot, like custard.

Ingredients

(75 g) 1/3 cup white (refined) sugar
    (45 ml) 3 tbsp cornflour
    2-1/4 cups of hot milk (or soya milk)
    1 tsp vanilla essence

Added toppings: fresh fruits or a sweet sauce (jams, chocolate, butterscotch, etc.).

Method

Mix the sugar, cornflour and 1/4 cup of milk in a saucepan.

Tip: By adding a small amount of milk at first and mixing vigorously to a thick paste, you will avoid the cornflour forming lumps in the thinner mixture.

Gradually stir in 2 more cups of hot milk and mix until the mixture is smooth. Boil for at least 7 minutes and remove from the heat.

Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.

Pour into individual set serving dishes. Cover and chill until set.

Serve with fresh fruits or a sweet sauce.

P.S. To convert recipes from flour-thickened fruit pies to cornflour, use half as much cornflour and sugar then toss with the fruit and turn into pie crust (if using fruit that needs no stewing).

Usefulness

This ancient recipe is a kind of custard - from the days when unused milk could not be preserved in the Caribbean - is very easy to make, and all of the ingredients are fairly common in kitchens around the world.

Delicious with a favourite topping (try it with a smooth raspberry jam!! YUM!!), this off-beat dessert can be put together in a few minutes several hours ahead if necessary and kept in the refrigerator, but cover tightly with cellophane wrap to avoid a skin forming on the top.

Like custard, it can also be served hot - perhaps with a slice of fruit or pound cake, or with some crisp ladyfingers.

Can also be set in a single large bowl and portioned out as needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

she is 13 months. OK ,I will try that. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I dont believe in starving kids, they need their nourishment although i know its more distressing if its coming back up.

It depends what you normally give her. Introducing new things now may just upset her tummy more.

I would stick to carbs, i.e. potatoes maybe with a little soup mixed in to taste, bread and keep away from anything high fibre i.e weetabix, even veg, just for the moment. Mashed banana, basically anything that binds her. I'd try to avoid yogurts for a while til she has something more solid in her,

Even the little tins of baby food might be ok but once whatever you give her is in small portions and regularly if possible i.e rather than 3 meals try 6 smaller ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

brat diet

bananas
    rice
    apple sauce (stewed apple)
    toast

generally works if the little ones have upset tummy

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

we ended up giving her some apple (she likes eating it when I am having one) and plan dry rice (sounds awful but she liked it!) and of course the old reliable, toast!
    Now I will know for the next time (groan).

• Advertisement
Advertisement