Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replicas to be banned?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Sparks wrote:
    The Nally/Ward shooting.
    Thats what I thought. I hate the idea of the Gov making a scapegoat out of regular law abiding shooters while criminals just keep on roaming the country with whatever weapon they choose. I think by going through the rather lengthy licensing process it would prove someone was serious about their shooting and not going to wave the weapon in the face of the local postmaster. Alas it appears our lords and masters can't make that distinction.......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sparks - for the record, no crime was carried out in the Ward/Nally case with the firearm - gotta live with the court's verdict.

The barricade incident in Gort last year involved a legally held shotgun. I'm sure there have been low-level incidents since then.

Clarge Gunner,
    which might lead you to deduce I have some law enforcement knowledge,skills and understanding

It doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Apart from about a dozen people in England over the years who were shot by SO 19 and /or other armed coppers.One was even killed because he had a chair leg in a plastic bag.:eek: :eek: Now,if the UK is THAT trigger happy ,what will our lot be like????

Irrespective of people being shot for the reasons you state above there was reasonable & justifiable cause for the actions taken. The two officers (Insp & PC) were not charged with any offence for the shooting of Harry Stanley & were exonerated completely. Trigger happy the Met is not, highly professional they are. What an immature & irresponsible response.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

civdef wrote:
    Sparks - for the record, no crime was carried out in the Ward/Nally case with the firearm - gotta live with the court's verdict.
    Yes, I was more thinking of "when was the last trouble caused by a legally held firearm". There were others - there's been at least one shooting over a land dispute, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

astraboy wrote:
    A very simple solution is one employed on airsoft guns in the states, ensure all barrel tips are painted bright orange to distingust them from a real weapon. This way the guards can easily make a distinction and realize a 14/15 year old hanging around with his friends waving a "glock" is holding just a toy.

Dont know about that, very easy paint em black again or scrape off/out the plug. Alos wasnt there one instance in L.A. where criminals pianted the muzzles of their firearms bright orange to to make the cops think they had toys!
    astraboy wrote:
    Some people on this forum look down in airsoft, I can't see why its a bit of fun and some people enjoy both airsoft and regular shooting. We need to help people make the distinction but also stand together before the Gov tries to get more votes coming up to an election and come down hard on shooters and sportsmen while trying to appear hard on crime. Its an easy ploy, announce a banning on something that has no effect on hardened criminals but you look good.

Totally agree with you there though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Astra,
    I pointed out a few posts back ,the red tip thing does not work.It is unidentifiable by police officers,it can be changed with a shot of black paint.Or a real one can be painted red,to give a false sense of security.

Sparks,
    what?We cant discern in our native tounge between Me and Shinn???And this national Gaelic speak week? Doings things correctly?Thats nit picking.But fine,for those of a delicate disposition we will call it eff you i'm allright Jack syndrome:rolleyes:

So that brings me back again,maybe you would be better rephrasing this point that you belived the consequences would be wrong for shooting in Ireland in general,if at that time this case would have been followed up??
    But realistically,if the mindset of sucessive govts was not to re issue from 1972 to post Good Friday plus ten years.What was to say it would be any different now,then, or in 2020???Nothing ,but a court challange would move them.Wether it was good or bad.Well,we just will have to wait and see.

God!you do love harping on old points dont you????:rolleyes: :(
    If everyone acted on what they say they will do,we would be all in the nick.Oh growing up...hmmm...stop being a pendantic nit picker,and recognise a generalisation ,and that the world isnt total absolutes would be a great start for you.

Civ
    Smarter now aint you?

Trojan911
    Highly professional...Hmmm well the REAL professionals like the people who instruct the SO19 who are based in the UK.Like the SAS ,dont think them much good. Sunday Telegraph article Sept [?]2005.

Titled "Met firearms officers behaved like cowboys"
    It was a pretty damming account ,on attitude,firearms handling,and skills.

Funny enough too,that the German SEK,GSG9,the French GIGN,the Dutch,the Belgians,have ASFIK have never shot anyone for carrying an airsoft,a chair leg or a banana[proably].Only seems to happen in the UK tho??
    I see immature &irresponsible responses comments are the fodder here these days for opinions that some dont like.Sorry to gore your sacred oxen.But the Stats are against you. So19 has a kill bill on civves second to none.Met especially. Cyber shooters and a check of Uk civil liberties websites will tell you a story.
    OOPPPSSS!!!! we are going into non sporting contrary to boards rules on topics law enforcement and RKBA which is naughty!
    So we will best get back on topic lest the Mods lock the thread .[Surprised they havent already!:eek: ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭vlmaxis

If some clown is stupid enough to point any thing that remotely looks like a gun at a cop, they deserve to be shot. The problem all stems back to all of us law abiding citizens being treated like criminals and the proof of that is in the CJB. We pay approximately 7.m in firearm certs each year and we get nothing but hardship for it, Gaa members don't contribute this to their sport straight from their pockets and they are treated like royalty. Somethings wrong.

what?We cant discern in our native tounge between Me and Shinn?
    CG, show a little more common sense would you?
    So that brings me back again,maybe you would be better rephrasing this point that you belived the consequences would be wrong for shooting in Ireland in general,if at that time this case would have been followed up??
    Correct. And that's what's happened. We've had a brief moment in the sun while the Minister drafted new laws, and now we're looking at a much bleaker time ahead.
    Well,we just will have to wait and see.
    No, we won't. Anyone with any cop-on has seen the CJA and the writing on the wall therein. Or haven't you noticed the change in language at the public meetings from "we said" to "they said" in relation to the DoJ as people try to distance themselves from their roles in the negotiation phase of the CJB?
    God!you do love harping on old points dont you????:rolleyes: :(
    Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.
    OOPPPSSS!!!! we are going into non sporting contrary to boards rules on topics law enforcement and RKBA which is naughty!
    Indeed.

Sparks wrote:
    CG, show a little more common sense would you?
    Humour,sense of; Get one!!!!:D Very helpful in life.:D

Correct. And that's what's happened. We've had a brief moment in the sun while the Minister drafted new laws, and now we're looking at a much bleaker time ahead.

Whats this "we" and "they" bit???? Who EXACTLY are you referring to in the alaphabet soup of organisations we have here???

And the past is another country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

(Hi, im Keith, and im an airsofter)

Civ,ok whatever.....
    Maybe you should have a wee google of the crimes comitted in gunfree Tokio [home of the airsoft gun] with converted airsofts to fire live ammo????Quite a few annually I belive,as real firearms are not available over there at all.Do belive a few deaths as well. Was mentioned in J David Truby's book Zips,pipes and plans. by Paladin Press.
    One springs too mind appx nine years ago of a nutty Tokio taxi cab driver,who went on a rampage with a converted airsoft to 22lr.Was printed in one of the Uk gun mags or the countryside mag,[the newspapery one??].Shot ,I think a half dozen people before offing himself.Sticks in the mind as it was just after the UK total gun ban.

maybe you should have a wee google yourself? anything i can find on google relating to converting airsoft or crimes in tokyo all state that it is not possible to convert an airsoft to fire live ammunition. i havent read zips pipes and pens but i cant find any information on google relating to it and airsoft and surely if this book talks about converting an airsoft to fire live ammo someone would have mentioned it on the web before???

have you ever even SEEN an airsoft gun? do you even have the slightest idea of how they operate? there is NO WAY you could feasibly convert an airsoft to fire live ammunition. as has been stated, you may as well just build a gun from scratch, because that's what you'd be doing, you might be putting the casing from an airsoft over it when your finished, but none of the internal components could be used.

this is exactly the kind of attitude amongst the public that we (airsofters) are up against, they need to be educated, that despite looking like real weapons, these are not, they are harmless and there are NO recorded deaths related to airsoft (aside from the occasional stupid bastard that points the thing at police with real steel weapons and gets shot)

</rant>

• Advertisement

sigh ...sorry I got the title wrong..slightly.But it is the CONTENTS not the title we need to worry about.And NO it does NOT cover converting airsofts to live fire.Basically the book is a study on improvised weapons where they occur in the World...yes Ireland gets a mention as well for improv weaponary.Dont bother running out to get acopy...there are no detailed plans in there for anyone to copy.So we can all sleep safley in our beds.:rolleyes:
    The author points to the "rumour" pointed out in wikipedia that Japanese triads converted them to fire live ammo.

Considering that [1] this book was written in the mid/ late 80s,when airsoft was just starting,or even heard of,and the 1st gen things had more metal in them,I remember a shop that did martial arts eq in Dublin in Sth Gt Georges St ???[now long gone]had them for sale for a VERY breif while 20 years ago.And they felt a lot more like a real gun than a toy that is the std nowadays. So it is quite possible or proable that some of the early 1st Gen mods were easily converted.Or as you said,somone coverd their zip gun wit an airsoft cladding.Fact is;one or more were used in crime in Japan a decade ago.

Look,all I am pointing out is this story is knocking around for the last 20 years,and you need the facts as to what it was about so if it ever came up you can say whats what.Plus it was used as a point to prove that what somone said was not factually correct,that people had been injured or killed with converted airsofts 15 +- years ago. Quit making out that I am trying to make out it is easy or it is nonsense that no one was killed involving airsofts,wether converted or thru their own stupidity.

And you are right,the current crop could never be converted to anything. Would be more inclined to take the accessories off them which are genuine and use them on a real gun.:D
    Yep have used them [ Toko Mauri] well,if thats your thing playing at soilders...or whatever...I wont say you nay. But it isnt my thing.
    But I wont spit on your back either.

was just reading an article about that very rumour yesterday on wikipedia actually:
    There are rumours, driven by the realistic look of some airsoft guns, that they can be modified to kill. There are also rumors that the Japanese Yakuza and Chinese Triad converted airsoft guns to fire real pistol cartridges, but are limited to a single shot. It is, however, impossible to convert or modify any airsoft replica to fire a real bullet due to the materials (mostly plastic), internal design (battery/gas powered) and construction that differ completely from real firearms. Nevertheless, because of this misconception, some countries' current gun laws list airsoft guns as firearms.

so until you can show me a credible source which states that converted airsofts were in fact used in crimes in tokyo, then it's nothing more than an urban myth and anyone who raises that issue will be told so.

alot of airsofts are still full metal, but they could no more be converted to fire real ammo than the plastic ones could.

nice to know you have at least tried them out before deciding your opinion on airsoft, fair enough, it's not your thing, but those of use in the airsoft forum would hate to see it get banned under replica weapons because of politicians talking out of their ar*e and trying to earn votes for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

At the end of the day - any attempt made to introduce any sort of a ban on anything remotely related to firearms is simply a PR exercise.

Gougers do not care if something is banned - they are already banned form having guns in post offices - it doesn't stop them. Enforcement of current laws is the approach that is required, not diluting the Gardai's ability to do so by introducing legislation that distracts them from the real work at hand.

I agree with Sparks earlier comments - The great unwashed, having little or no experience of them, have an image in their heads of what AirSoft, Paintball, Target shooting and Hunting are.

I would "assume" or "guess" that a lot of politicians would have the same views - again due to either a lack of experience of getting the wrong impression when people have a discussion about one and complicate it with comments about the others.

<these are my own sylised opinions and are only for example sake - I do not wish to refine these with discussion>

----

The Impression of Paintball is a stag party renting kit and shooting the **** out of each other in a wood.

The Impression of Airsoft is a gang of mates (who invariably have spent a fair bit of change on kit) shooting the **** out of each other in a wood.

The Impression of Hunters is guys in tweed caps, a red setter and a broken shotgun over the arm out for a walk. Taking a pheasant once in a while.

The Impression of Target shooting is very calm people at the olympics - shooting plaving cards at half a mile with pellet guns. Most people think they wear skis while doing this.

Now as you can see these things have very little in Common - Airsoft and Paintball are in the same bracket - a bit of Craic.

Hunting is what you do if you like a bit of Rabbit in the stew and like to get out of the house on Stephens day before the wran turn up.

Target shooting is what people in shooting clubs do.

These should not be mixed up, as for the general public, and rightly so, hunting and target shooting is not a "bit of craic" whereas Airsoft and Paintball are.

As to the issue of the Gardai not liking people pointing Airsoft guns at them and worrying about engaging people that only had replicas.

vlmaxis said it right earlier.

The Gardai do not have the luxury to find out - if armed Gardai are deployed to a situation there is a legitimate reason fior it.

If anyone points anything at them (stick a brush handle out a window even) they are putting themselves in harms way as from the Garda point of view you have just put him/her in harms way and they will react.

In my opinion - Airsoft is harmless and is a toy - it is also great craic - restricting it in any way will not have any effect other than to create column inches for politicians in the run up to an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

wikipedia cannot be used as factual evidence, I could go in and edit it and say the complete opposite

Have you not seen the many many prank pages on wikipedia

That page is also written about the modern day airsoft weapons. Do you own a 20 year old airsoft weapon? Have you handled one? Do you know for a fact that every airsoft weapon ever made, was made of the same materials as they are today?

As an airsoft community don't say it cant be done, someone will go away and do it just to prove you wrong. They may use the action from a real firearm and an airsoft stock and/or accesories but the media would have a field day with it.

The gardai said the same about age cards when they were released, "they cant be faked" and within a day they were shown a fake one.

I am all for airsoft and would love to try it, but don't have an attitude of "it cant be done" because that is looking for trouble

ill definitely agree there, wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world. but if you were to go and edit it to say the opposite, it would be seen and changed back.

nothing is impossible, but let's face it, if you were to "modify" an airsoft to fire live ammunition, you would basically have to build a real gun and then stick an airsoft case over it, which is not really a modification, but simple a case stuck over a home made gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kdouglas wrote:
    ill definitely agree there, wikipedia is not the most reliable source in the world. but if you were to go and edit it to say the opposite, it would be seen and changed back.

nothing is impossible, but let's face it, if you were to "modify" an airsoft to fire live ammunition, you would basically have to build a real gun and then stick an airsoft case over it, which is not really a modification, but simple a case stuck over a home made gun.

and I agree with you 100% there. Unfortunately we live in an era with overly sensational news reporting so even if it was a home made gun with airsoft shell, the sport would probably get fleeced in the papers. I really hate things like that.

Why should the responsible people obeying the law be the ones punished.

At the end of the day, I would like to support airsoft. If my supporting airsoft hurts them then I wont.

nice to know you have at least tried them out before deciding your opinion on airsoft, fair enough, it's not your thing, but those of use in the airsoft forum would hate to see it get banned under replica weapons because of politicians talking out of their ar*e and trying to earn votes for the next election.

So would I,as I said I'm not into it in anyway at all,as I also said I have never ridden to hounds,but I will support the fox hunting crowd.For the simple reason is,if either airsoft or fox hunting goes,it will be game shooting and practical pistol rifle shotgun shooting next on the list.

Oh,and BTW on things not being able to be done?Does the Name Roger C[r]ook ring any bells??
    Did an "investigative" tv reporter seris.Much known for reacting deactAR15s with simple tools that everyone has[inc pro gunsmith and workshop ]. Or the Brocock air cartridge gun affair???
    End result Brocock air weapons are classified as firearms now in the UK.
    Dont EVER belive you are safe,because you know that your airsoft cant be converted to live firethat thats all there is to it.
    Some smart arse newsreporter out to make a name for himself just might just might do that and announce to the world that this was done with simple tools and could be done by a ham fisted 10yr old.Hey,its on telly so it is true...our TV never lies....
    And a lie is half way round the world before the truth has it's boots on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I'm not interested in airsoft .
    Having said that , I fully support the right of any citizen to enjoy their chosen
    hobby or activity in a peaceful and lawful manner.

I am puzzled though by this proposed ban on airsoft toys.
    (I don't intend to offend anyone by referring to them as such , but merely to
    classify them properly as what they are ... toys.. not firearms)

If they are to be banned because they resemble real guns , how will this
    be implemented ? I have no idea .

If the criteria is ..anything that resembles a real gun , then how far does that
    comparison take us ..? The colour is hardly a factor as anything real or not can be spray painted. The materials used are unimportant too as if someone is seen with a "Gun shaped object" they are unlikely to be approached for " a feel of their gun" Red tips or the lack of same don't prove or disprove anything . In poor light all one may have is a silhouette of the object.

Attempting to commit a crime by using a replica gun or producing one in the course of a crime is already an offense for ages , so theres no new issue there.

So I predict that this particular piece of garbage "Vote speak" will come to nothing. Otherwise a lot of Garda time and resources are going to be wasted by the following..

1: Raiding every toy shop in the country.
    2: Decommissioning water pistols.
    3. Announcing and organizing another amnesty period wherein little jimmy's
    capgun can be handed in and made "Safe"
    4: An import ban on all gun shaped objects
    5: Banana inspection guidelines to check for shape.
    Ditto for Bars of soap , novelty cigarette lighters and some soldering irons.

Never going to be a runner.

C'mon guys and gals...
    Let's worry about some real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

jaycee wrote:
    I'm not interested in airsoft .
    Having said that , I fully support the right of any citizen to enjoy their chosen
    hobby or activity in a peaceful and lawful manner.

I am puzzled though by this proposed ban on airsoft toys.
    (I don't intend to offend anyone by referring to them as such , but merely to
    classify them properly as what they are ... toys.. not firearms)

If they are to be banned because they resemble real guns , how will this
    be implemented ? I have no idea .

If the criteria is ..anything that resembles a real gun , then how far does that
    comparison take us ..? The colour is hardly a factor as anything real or not can be spray painted. The materials used are unimportant too as if someone is seen with a "Gun shaped object" they are unlikely to be approached for " a feel of their gun" Red tips or the lack of same don't prove or disprove anything . In poor light all one may have is a silhouette of the object.

Attempting to commit a crime by using a replica gun or producing one in the course of a crime is already an offense for ages , so theres no new issue there.

So I predict that this particular piece of garbage "Vote speak" will come to nothing. Otherwise a lot of Garda time and resources are going to be wasted by the following..

1: Raiding every toy shop in the country.
    2: Decommissioning water pistols.
    3. Announcing and organizing another amnesty period wherein little jimmy's
    capgun can be handed in and made "Safe"
    4: An import ban on all gun shaped objects
    5: Banana inspection guidelines to check for shape.
    Ditto for Bars of soap , novelty cigarette lighters and some soldering irons.

Never going to be a runner.

C'mon guys and gals...
    Let's worry about some real problems.

Simply, anything that comes through customs that is "too real a replica" could be seized. They could do that without forcing little jimmy to hand in his capgun. This is a real problem. For airsoft players anyway.

Someone mentioned earlier wondering why do airsoft AEGs have to look so real? Well, the idea behind most airsoft events is realism. Its the main reason I choose to play airsoft over paintball. The authenticity is lost once you start running around with silly looking multicoloured/transparent AEGs.

The same logic could be applied to firearms. I'm sure you could all still shoot with blaze orange coloured rifles. Whether you'd actually want a blaze orange coloured rifle is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Real firearms can look like toys too.....
    Little off topic but to lighten the mood a little........

All this reading about Real and Toys and spraying
    and making real firearms look fake and vise versa reminded
    my of an Artist called Antonio Riello who's art is pretty cool
    http://www.hoardmag.com/riello/Riello_1.htm
    see some examples:

riellorifles.png
    riellokalashnikovs.png

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Sparks,
    I am curious as to why you started a thread,
    on the shooting forum, on a topic,
    that is by your own admission about airsoft.

You, have posted on the airsoft forum,
    making suggestions that the airsoft people,
    distance themselves from shooting and firearms,
    then discuss it here and create an link to it by that discussion.

I anyone else started a thread about airsoft,
    on the shooting forum,you would be the first to say it was off topic.

I wish the Airsoft people good luck with this hopefully,
    it is just circling the election bandwagons.

However it might better serve all concerned if the thread was deleted.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

o1s1n wrote:

Someone mentioned earlier wondering why do airsoft AEGs have to look so real? Well, the idea behind most airsoft events is realism.

The authenticity is lost once you start running around with silly looking multicoloured/transparent AEGs.

The same logic could be applied to firearms. I'm sure you could all still shoot with blaze orange coloured rifles. Whether you'd actually want a blaze orange coloured rifle is another thing.

This whole 'realism' and 'authenticity' thing is getting a little bit uncomfortable for me.

If your love for the sport is the planning, tactics, teamplay etc. one should be quite happy using oddly coloured 'guns'.

I couldnt care less if my .22, .40 cal or 12 bore looked like a Salvador Dali, once it performs for me in its sporting role.

I have no gripe against airsofters, everyone to their own, yet I fear for shooting as a sport when the 'Rambo' complex starts to show its head, even worse again, the Walter Mitty brigade mentality.

Master of the Universe

Chopperdog wrote:
    This whole 'realism' and 'authenticity' thing is getting a little bit uncomfortable for me.

If your love for the sport is the planning, tactics, teamplay etc. one should be quite happy using oddly coloured 'guns'.

I couldnt care less if my .22, .40 cal or 12 bore looked like a Salvador Dali, once it performs for me in its sporting role.

I have no gripe against airsofters, everyone to their own, yet I fear for shooting as a sport when the 'Rambo' complex starts to show its head, even worse again, the Walter Mitty brigade mentality.

What's wrong with realism and authenticity? The sport goes beyond the simple skirmishing and shooting. It also involves the collecting of and putting together particular uniforms/load outs etc.Some people find this fun. The fact that we would like our replicas to look realistic to go along with our uniforms somehow makes this sinister...?

Does part of your sport involve camouflaging yourself from an opposing team? When you're playing against other people you really have to keep all garish colours to a minimum or you'll stick out a mile. So it might work for you and your rifles, but it won't work for us.
    I'd love to see someone trying to crawl stealthily in a ghillie suit with a big pink or orange AEG.

Master of the Universe

Dvs wrote:
    Sparks,

You, have posted on the airsoft forum,
    making suggestions that the airsoft people,
    distance themselves from shooting and firearms,
    then discuss it here and create an link to it by that discussion.

I anyone else started a thread about airsoft,
    on the shooting forum,you would be the first to say it was off topic.

I wish the Airsoft people good luck with this hopefully,
    it is just circling the election bandwagons.

However it might better serve all concerned if the thread was deleted.

Dvs.

Good point. I'm not too keen on talk of airsoft being in the shooting forum myself. In fact, I never post over here. I don't know how that happened.

Anyway, theres already a similar thread in the airsoft forum. So no need to move it over. Deletion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

o1s1n wrote:
    What's wrong with realism and authenticity? The sport goes beyond the simple skirmishing and shooting. It also involves the collecting of and putting together particular uniforms/load outs etc.Some people find this fun. The fact that we would like our replicas to look realistic to go along with our uniforms somehow makes this sinister...?

From what I have been reading Airsoft may be similar to RPG(role-playing games) or LARP (Live action Role Play) but with Guns!

Or maybe a modern day SCA where poeple re-enact Battles/Duels/encounters/situations and other such things
    using modern weapons,

~B

Master of the Universe

bullets wrote:
    From what I have been reading Airsoft may be similar to RPG(role-playing games) or LARP (Live action Role Play) but with Guns!

Or maybe a modern day SCA where poeple re-enact Battles/Duels/encounters/situations and other such things
    using modern weapons,

~B

Yeah, we're actually just a load of Cosplayers in denial ;)

Wow.. just had a look on the Air Soft forum and only just realised how realistic these are! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065511

I don't get that though - I understand that you like the realism of using camo, tactics etc and thats cool. However why do the guns themselves have to look as real they do?

Don't get me wrong, I love paintball and thinks its a great laugh, and I have no problem chasing aftersome and 'shooting' (marking?) them, thats because the 'marker' is in no way like a real gun.

I wouldn't be happy running aftersome one with airsoft guns precisely because I wouldn't be happy to see someone after me with one of those, its a bit too realistic for me!

Please don't get me wrong; I love shooting and I'm not dissing airsoft and I think its great that you guys are getting together, but as a non airsofter I don't get the need for the realistic guns, so joe public probably wont either.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MaxForce

Wow.. just had a look on the Air Soft forum and only just realised how realistic these are! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065511

I don't get that though - I understand that you like the realism of using camo, tactics etc and thats cool. However why do the guns themselves have to look as real they do?

Don't get me wrong, I love paintball and thinks its a great laugh, and I have no problem chasing aftersome and 'shooting' (marking?) them, thats because the 'marker' is in no way like a real gun.

I wouldn't be happy running aftersome one with airsoft guns precisely because I wouldn't be happy to see someone after me with one of those, its a bit too realistic for me!

Please don't get me wrong; I love shooting and I'm not dissing airsoft and I think its great that you guys are getting together, but as a non airsofter I don't get the need for the realistic guns, so joe public probably wont either.

Hi. I usually hang out on the Airsoft/Paintball forum I know yet another Airsofter :D . The Airsoft AEG fires with a muzzle velocity of upto 1 joule. By law anything firing over 1 joule is a firearm. Paintball Markers fire with a much higher muzzle velocity. Personally I would prefer to be shot by an Airsoft AEG then a Paintball Marker.

By Chopperdog:

There is no point in trying to hide your self in a bush been camouflaged playing a mil sim and holding a bright orange Airsoft AEG possibly built in the shape of a super soaker. Your idea of a sporting role in relation to your equipment and how you use it is different to the Airsofter idea of a sporting role and how our equipment works and is used.
    MF

Dvs wrote:
    Sparks,

Dvs,
    If you're so curious, why did you not read the text in the first post on the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Sparks wrote:
    From the Indo today:

From what I can see, they're talking about airsoft toys (and the lads in the airsoft forum are justifiably worried), but knowing how such laws get drafted, I'd say anyone interested in collecting replicas of firearms in general (which includes a few of our posters) should be worried too.

Maybe you should read it yourself Sparks,
    Because collecting replicas of firearms,
    has nothing to do with the shooting forum,
    or shooting sports either.

Anymore than stamp collecting makes you a postman....

Even the Moderator for the airsoft forum agrees,
    deletion of the thread is the best option.

Dvs.

Advertisement