Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oil on windscreen

Options
  • 15-03-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

hello all,
    i seem to have some kind of oil on my windscreen. it's been there since i bought it and i've tried lots to remove it but nothing works. visibility is very bad at times

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Have you changed your wiper blades?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Get a good windscreen cleaner. I use the one made by Rain-X, but there are others. And also change your wiper blades as they'll have whatever crap was on the screen on them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

is there a cleaner specifically for oil? i've tried the usual stuff including MER windscreen cleaner.

if i change the blades without getting all of the oil off, wont i ruin the new blades too?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Take the current blades off, clean the windscreen with the cleaner Alun suggested, then put the new blades on.

Hmmm .. I've just looked at the Rain-X website and the cleaner they now produce is different to the stuff I have. My stuff was a slightly abrasive cream that you applied with a damp cloth and then hosed off afterwards. Worked like a dream, especially for grease and wax since the action was as much mechanical as chemical. But I see that the new stuff is just a spray like most other cleaners. I've no idea if it works as well, I'm afraid, but they always had a good reputation so it's worth a try.

http://www.rainx.com/

BTW Their main product is a glass treatment that repels rain .. works really well, but can be a bit of a pain to apply cleanly and streak free and needs to be topped up frequently too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

i find vineger is a good glass cleaner clean the blades too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Try cleaning it with Coca Cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i'm getting hungrier reading this thread!!!

i've heard of vinegar but coke is a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

prospect wrote:
    Try cleaning it with Coca Cola.

I'll second that one, works a treat. Yet another reason not to drink it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote:
    i've heard of vinegar but coke is a new one on me.

I think they use a concentrated form for cleaning oil tankers.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    I think they use a concentrated form for cleaning oil tankers.
    Seems unlikely to me .. the "cleaning" component in Coca Cola, if you can call it that, is phosphoric acid and I can't see that dissolving oil or grease. Lime scale, rust or things like that I can imagine, but not oil. You'd need some kind of solvent, surely?

No mention of that kind of cleaning capability here either ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Other_applications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You could try a general purpose de-greaser rather than a windscreen specific product. There are a decent few products designed specifically to break down oil based products. You can probably pick a few of them up in supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Alun wrote:
    Seems unlikely to me

Well yer man in the pub said they do.

So there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Ask in a motor factors, there are surely mild degreasers available that are suitable for use on glass. I use one called "Marine Clean" which is quite mild yet excellent for cleaning oil/grease off bodywork.

maidhc wrote:
    Well yer man in the pub said they do.

So there.
    .. and I bet he in turn heard it from some bloke on that new-fangled Interweb thingy too .. notoriously unreliable, I hear :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

run sheets of brown paper across it. should take it most of it. If not, try spraying on some deodorant and wipe it off. Worked for me on a house window.

You sure the oil is on the outside?! ;)

Advertisement