Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roller shutter door security - opinions

Options
  • 15-03-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im currently building a shed and was planning on fitting a electric roller shutter type door. However while speaking to an uncle who is a builder, he mentioned that these roller shutters are very easy to break into and a crowbar will easily pry one open. he also mentioned that the wind can damage them but this is not really an issue as my shed opens onto a laneway in an urban location.
    so basically im after peoples opinions on the strength of the locks on these electrically operated shutters and whether it would be a better idea to go for a commercial or industrial grade shutter?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

A lot of these doors are made from very light sheeting. I dont think they would offer too much protection. A hammer/chisel and possibly a can opener would get through the sheeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think that is the problem stapeler, the issue with a roller door is that with the door being inherently flexible, a strong push from underneath the door will allow the locking mechanism to flex and seperate from the jamb.
    OP: can you access the rear of the shed?
    If so I would get some doors made up that are only openable from inside the shed, ie without any external locks or ways in which a prybar could be inserted into the door.
    Look at it this way, what is in the shed?
    If it is only going to be a couple of cans of paint and a rusty bike and an old lawnmower then the security won't need to be top notch.
    IF on the other hand you are keeping a motorbike/car/tools then think long and hard about securing the entire building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hi,

...my shed opens onto a laneway in an urban location....

cheers

take cjs advice... roller shutters are v easy to pop open.. get a sheet metal door made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

its more to do with the convenience of the remote opening than anything else and not having to get out on bad evenings and get soaked etc
    i really dont want doors as the swing would make the space in the lane too narrow and so impossible to enter the garage.
    dont want them opening in, due to the space they would need in the garage
    so that really only leaves a roller type, up and over or a folding gate.
    it does seem that the roller lock on a remote is not at all secure so there isnt much point getting one, and i dont want a separate door, the only really way to allow you to lock it securely from the inside. back to the drawing board i guess.

Advertisement