Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef goes on and on and on

• 15-03-2007 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Will be watching the final final tonight as I've watched most of the series but have to say its really dragging on and they're squeezing the bejazus out of it, guess its cheap tv. During the final stages the only input "ingrediance expert" Gregg Wallace has had is pulling stupid faces as the contestants, none of whom are particullary engaging, get a dish out by the skin of their teeth. Lasts nights Tony and Bertie dinner at no 10 was just toe curling, but the top chefs feast at the savoy was alright. Didn't think it was possible to get 5 Michelin stars and he looked like Catweasle.

Anyone else praying they change the format for the next series?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The maximum a restaurant can get is 3 stars. I'm guessing that 'catweazle' owned more than one restaurant and they had 5 stars between them.

Bring back Llloyd Grossman, I say :) (not really!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

nononononono I can't bear the deliberating, cogitating and digesting. No Lloyd.

I agree with Moominpapa, I think the format has been less than engaging and the chefs are a little dull... Then I wonder what is is I'm expecting these days? Chicken cordon Circque du Soleil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

Who won? I missed it last night.

Oobie wrote:
    Who won? I missed it last night.
    The bearded drama queen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The fat camp bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I missed it too. I wanted the girl to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah I wanted Hannah to win but had a feeling that Stev(ph?)en would win :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Thank Jebus thats over. So roly poly fancy pants won in the end, guess he deserved it most although Bens pidgeon with coffee look great but olive and fennell in the desert was asking too much. Hannas food just didn't look up to it at all, rack of lamb? she could at least have tried not serving it raw and that desert was very dull. Just hope they have new judges next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I wonder why the presenters SHOUT all the time!
    I do think fancy pants did deserve to win based on his final task.
    Hannah was just too nervous, and Ben was a bit Michelin starry-eyed,
    which came across as kinda physco.

olaola wrote:
    I do think fancy pants did deserve to win based on his final task.
    I think so too, but then what the hell was the point of all the other tasks they were given to do in all the programs leading up to the final then? Steven might well have cooked the best meal on the night, but could he actually handle the stresses and strains of running a restaurant kitchen full time, which seems to have been the criteria for getting rid of some of the other contestants in the past? I don't think so. I mean, if you're not going to take any notice of these other aspects why bother including them in the program at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

olaola wrote:
    I wonder why the presenters SHOUT all the time!
    Yep, it is a bit annoying after a while :)
    olaola wrote:
    ...Ben was a bit Michelin starry-eyed,
    which came across as kinda physco.
    In my workplace, they call that "driven/motivated" :rolleyes: but I think you got it spot on, the guy was a bit too wound up by it all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Alun wrote:
    I mean, if you're not going to take any notice of these other aspects why bother including them in the program at all?

He did very well when he was teamed with Hannah in the previous exercises - like the school one. I think they were looking for people who learned and grew too, and he defo made a lot of progress.

Ben bothered me in that he seemed to have no soul in his cooking.

Whilst he seemed very good technically, he just seemed to have choosen cooking as a way to achieve something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

The thing ive never understood about masterchef over all its years on telly, all these people who go on this show want to be chef's "MORE THAN ANYTHING", yet none of them, no matter if single/married/with kids has thought of going to college and doing the English version of Cert/Failte Ireland chef course, bit like the Your a star/X-factor types who want to be singers more than anything yet have never sang live or joined a band.
    Wonder what happened to previous winners?
    Maybe they just want to be on telly?

elshambo wrote:
    if single/married/with kids has thought of going to college and doing the English version of Cert/Failte Ireland chef course,

How exactly do you know?? I would suspect that most of the masterchef contestants have done a whole variety of chef/cooking courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ben bothered me in that he seemed to have no soul in his cooking.

Whilst he seemed very good technically, he just seemed to have choosen cooking as a way to achieve something.
    Yep, I couldn't really believe he had any passion in what he was doing either.

For my money I thought Hannah had it in the bag after impressing the Michelin chefs with her dessert. Think she lost it after undercooking her lamb on the final dish.

Overall I don't think the standard of competition was that high and there was no stand-out competitor.

Advertisement