Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Users and rights ?

• 15-03-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I've set up a user account on XP (not Guest) for my flatmate. When he logs on ha can't hear anything from the speakers, but when I log on with admin rights they work fine ?

anybody got any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Check the audio properties when he is logged on.

Start - Settings - Sounds & Multimedia

The volume might just be turned down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are you talking about the startup sound when Windows starts or all sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Yea it's all sounds not just the system sounds.

It's not the volume as far as I know, checked it in three places, properties one, the one on the task bar and the one on the media player (or real player)

When I check the properties of the device, it all looks good.

The speakers are powered by USB so I tried plugging them out and in again to see would plug and play reload them but didn't work either ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Are the speakers a USB device also?
    Do you need to plug audio cable into Line out/speaker socket too or is USB the only connection?

If UsB is the only connection, check in the Audio Properties that the USB Speakers are the active audio device.

Yes it's a USB device but there is a connection to the audio out socket too.

They seem to be configured correctly when I log in as an administer. I don't have many options when I log in as the other user?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Was there drivers for the speakers? Maybe the drivers are not active on guest account and you may have to install them.

possibly, but if so they came pre installed on the computer. The speakers came with the computer.

The thing is I am unsure about how to manage users in XP. What can I do after I create an account, I can only see an option to create a user but not where I can specify exactly what that user can do ?

If I log in as the other user I don't have the rights to go and install drivers .etc ??

Ok, got it. It turns out that it was just a check box in the sound settings. The default output device was set to a USB phone and not the speakers.

Thanks for your input.

Regarding the users part, Is it possible in XP since account users cannot install programs that I can choose which programs that a particular account can use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

This gives an explanation of what can and can't be done by the user account types.

An admin account can do anything but a limited account is restricted in many ways as outlined above.

As an admin you can install software on the system that limited users can access.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 medias

Cheers, I guess you set in the configuration of the application itself who can use it or not ?

I was expecting to see some XP Admin tool where I could specify what each user can do rather than having to go into each application

• Advertisement
Advertisement