Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS for big road-trip

Options
  • 15-03-2007 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Apologies for newbie question, but:

I'm headed off on a big road trip to Mongolia - mongol rally, and i want to have a GPS record of the trip. I'm not too fussed about getting the street mappings, i just need a list of way-points (taken say, twice a day) so i can impress everyone when i get back.

As i'm going to be away for about 4 weeks, i need the GPS to be able to store all the way-points, then download them to a PC when i get back.
    Also i want to be able to show the route i've taken on a a map, so need to be able to interface the GPS data with some kind of map, google earth or similar.

Now, i'm pretty sure that just about any GPS will work outside of Europe, but what would you expert dudes recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Any gps will work anywhere that it can get a lock onto the satellites and unless your rally is going through large sections of forrest or big canyons your not going to need one with the better type of anntena's either. Your going to want one that will take a memory card of some description for storing the tracklogs on as one of your main considerations though, and access to batteries is also going to be an issue.

With a memory card for storing the tracklogs, at anything upto 1sec intervals , you can then use the likes of GPSVisualizer to convert the gpx file into a Google Earth format kml file showing exactly where you got to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to add that a lot of the newer Garmin units do not record tracklogs (e.g. Nuvi 350), so check the specs before you buy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

On selecting mine I found this site to be quite a handy place for comparing the differences between the units.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Thanks for that, now i only have 27,811 other things to worry about!

Advertisement