Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Load Balancing & Routers/Modems

Options
  • 15-03-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to setup up a dual broadband connection with load balancing. Is it possible to get a router that has two rj11 ports or will I have to buy a load balancing router (with 2 rj45 WAN ports) and 2 broadband modems/routers (with rj11 ports) i.e. one for each connection?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

This is what you want.

http://www.pheenet.co.uk/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

From what I can see the Pheenet routers need modems to go with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

2 months ago I bought this one:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=452&sec=0

On Ebay it was 100 euro, shipping included. AFAIK the router is not for sale in Europe, you will probably have to buy a European 220 AC/DC converter. (easy)

It's a lot cheaper than pheenet but I don't know how good it is yet . My intention was to get IBB and Digiweb in at the same time and of either one of the links is down of I reached my cap, I could switch.
    Unfortunately IBB claimed they don't have LOS.

However, recently I got a 2nd connection (amateur wifi group) and I am now about to setup the dual WAN ports. I will report how it goes.

You still have the same problem that you need 2 modems. Basically the router takes to ethernet WAN ports in and 4 LAN out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

So I will have to get two modems no matter what then? If so, anyone know some good stable modems? how about these linksys modems?

I'd say if I am getting a load balancing router with 2 rj45 wan ports then I would go with this. What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

That router certainly looks good, Linksys has a good reputation but I have no experience with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement