Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem changing GU10 Light Bulbs

Options
  • 15-03-2007 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Right – I never thought I’d be posting here regarding the process of changing a lightbuld but I’m a bit stuck.

The apartment I am in has spotlights in the bathroom and the kitchen. They take Philips Base GU10 bulbs. I need to replace two of the bulbs but my problem is getting the existing ones out. The spots are quite small and the bulbs fit them in a glove like manner with none of the bulb protruding beyond the shade of the spot and leaving almost no room to get ones fingers into the shade to twist or click or whatever it is you are supposed to do with GU10s. Twist and click apparently from what I’ve googled but due to how tightly they fit into the shade I can’t get much of a grip on the to twist except with the very tips of my fingers but to no avail – they are not budging.

Any tips? I’m reluctant to try and insert anything in behind the bulb to try and force it out as A: I don’t want to smash it and B: I don’t want to electrocute myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

There are two types of downlights, one with a circlip which keeps the lamp up in the fitting and changing the lamp requires removal of the circlip, after which the lamp drops down.
    I'm assuming you have the other kind with a fixed lampholder which holds the lamp up. It can be quite difficult to rotate the lamp, they fit tightly in the lampholder. We used to get little rubber suckers but I haven't seen any lately, you might be able to get one from your local wholesaler.
    It's the same type lampholder as a fluorescent starter, if that helps you to visualise it.
    If all else fails you might have to remove the fitting from the ceiling, but it is likely there will be a bit of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

rubber suckers

Nice one!

Was going to get prit stick pads or something but I'll see if I can source the suckers.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

How many internet users does it take... etc!

Advertisement