Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car+Trailer license

Options
  • 15-03-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I recently bought a boat on a trailer. The boat weights 700kg and the trailer is 250kg. I will have to tow it around the country from time to time and I was wondering what license is required.
    Will I have to do a special test for the car+trailer?
    If so, what is involved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭cpstears

The appropriate licence required is a FULL B (Car Licence) and a E+B for Car with trailer greather than 750kg. Towing of a trailer on a provisional licence except where the licence is for a vehicle + trailer combination is prohibited.

I think your trailer + boat combination might be too heavy to drive on a B category licence. As the rules of the road for cat B state;

Category B
    Vehicles (other than motorcycles, mopeds, work vehicles or land tractors) having a design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500kg. and having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons and includes a trailer where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is not greater than 750kg.

Rules regarding Trailers

Towing a Trailer
    If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided:
    1. the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed 3,500 kg or
    2. the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg.

If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

The holder of a driving licence in category C1, C, D1 or D may tow a trailer provided the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg. Categories EC1, EC, ED1 or ED (depending on the towing vehicle) must be held in order to tow trailers with a design gross vehicle weight in excess of 750kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You will have to find out the design gross vehicle weight of your car and the kerb weight of your car so that you can see if you comply with both parts of this rule
    "the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed 3,500 kg"

If you have a small car or a large 4wd you may need to get an EB licence or in the case of the small car, you may not be able to use that towing vehicle at all.

If you have a mid sized saloon or 4wd you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The biggest trailer you can tow without an E on your licence is 750kg. Section 2 is plain as day.

And if you are going with Section 1.
    Then how come someone with a HGV licence can only tow a trailer under 750kg?

That is so that people with big vans/SUVs and campers can't tow a trailer that puts them over the 3500kg limit and into C1 territory

The boat and trailer is 950kg. Can't be done. But like all laws in this country who is going to check:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Del2005 wrote:
    The boat and trailer is 950kg. Can't be done. But like all laws in this country who is going to check:D
    Assuming he drives a car/tank that weighs more than 2550kg?

Robbo wrote:
    Assuming he drives a car/tank that weighs more than 2550kg?

Nope, assuming he doesn't have an E licence. You can't tow a trailer over 750kg trailer and if they car ways more then 2750kg then they can't even tow that weight of trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Del2005 wrote:
    Then how come someone with a HGV licence can only tow a trailer under 750kg?
    It depends on what you mean by 'HGV Licence'. It's generally a term only used by people who do not have such a licence.

A small rigid truck (C1), a large rigid truck (C) and an articulated truck licence (C+E) are technically 'HGV' licences but they differ a lot.

If a motorist passes a category C+E test (articulated truck), they are automatically granted B+E and C1+E.

If, however, they only pass a category 'C' test (rigid truck), they are only granted a 'C1' with it and therefore would not be permitted to qualify for an 'E+B' by default.

Just to make things even more complicated, if a motorist applies for a provisional 'B+E' licence, they are legally required, while on a public road, to be accompanied by a person with a full 'B+E' licence.

It depends on what you mean by 'HGV Licence'. It's generally a term only used by people who do not have such a licence.

A small rigid truck (C1), a large rigid truck (C) and an articulated truck licence (C+E) are technically 'HGV' licences but they differ a lot.

If a motorist passes a category C+E test (articulated truck), they are automatically granted B+E and C1+E.

If, however, they only pass a category 'C' test (rigid truck), they are only granted a 'C1' with it and therefore would not be permitted to qualify for an 'E+B' by default.

Just to make things even more complicated, if a motorist applies for a provisional 'B+E' licence, they are legally required, while on a public road, to be accompanied by a person with a full 'B+E' licence.

I was being vauge as I didn't want to have to do all the explaining you did, too lazy to type.
    I always tought a C1 licence was for a LGV (Light Goods Vehicle). Then C was HGV etc.

Anyway I meant a rigid truck, as I assumed people would get that an artic driver was allowed to tow a trailer.:D

Del2005 wrote:
    Nope, assuming he doesn't have an E licence. You can't tow a trailer over 750kg trailer and if they car ways more then 2750kg then they can't even tow that weight of trailer.
    Aren't you forgetting one little word in the regs
    If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided:
    1. the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed 3,500 kg
    or
    2. the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750kg.
    It is as clear as day to me that you can tow a trailer >750 kg on a B licence. I've heard that originally, it was supposed to be the way you say but apparently the British kicked up a fuss and got the "or" inserted where they may have been an "and" before. May have something to do with the popularity of caravanning in GB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Hi it is a very gray area with the guards iv looked into it before.I have a Full C class licence but with a B licence from what i can get out of them is a two wheel trailer is fine its when you have four wheels you might run into trouble.Once you tell your insurance company and the trailer is for private use ie dumping rubbish towing boat etc your fine.At the end of the day the guards dont care if you only have a B licence once your insured and your insurance co will know that you have a B licence.Very very few people in ireland carry a licence for a trailer even my Cclass by right will not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

What happens if you "get caught" towing a trailer, with just a normal full license?

• Advertisement

Generally neither the gardai nor the insurance companies have a clue when it comes to the regs for cars towing trailers.

If the Gardai are telling people that the rules are based on the number of axles on the trailer then they're talking sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

wexford12 wrote:
    Hi it is a very gray area with the guards iv looked into it before.I have a Full C class licence but with a B licence from what i can get out of them is a two wheel trailer is fine its when you have four wheels you might run into trouble.Once you tell your insurance company and the trailer is for private use ie dumping rubbish towing boat etc your fine.At the end of the day the guards dont care if you only have a B licence once your insured and your insurance co will know that you have a B licence.Very very few people in ireland carry a licence for a trailer even my Cclass by right will not be enough.

Sorry, you got in there before me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 falcon 8

Does mean that unless i hold a current Artic Truck licience ,that i must go and do a NEW DRIVING TEST with my 10ft x 6ft Ifor Williams Builders trailer,that i regularly carry 2 or 3 tonne of cement on ????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

falcon 8 wrote:
    Does mean that unless i hold a current Artic Truck licience ,that i must go and do a NEW DRIVING TEST with my 10ft x 6ft Ifor Williams Builders trailer,that i regularly carry 2 or 3 tonne of cement on ????????????
    If you are using a category B vehicle as the drawing vehicle, and carrying 2 or 3 tonnes, then yes.
    BrianD3 wrote:
    If the Gardai are telling people that the rules are based on the number of axles on the trailer then they're talking sh1t.
    Yes, I've noticed that a lot of Gardaí are under the impression that it's the number of axles on the trailer that is important. They've been telling farmers for years that a 4x4 is required for towing a 2 axle trailer (not necessarily true and it depends on what's on the trailer).
    krinpit wrote:
    What happens if you "get caught" towing a trailer, with just a normal full license?
    Theoretically you could be charged with driving without a licence but I'd be more worried about having an accident and then your insurance company refusing to honour any claims or persuing you for third party claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hi,
    Please, please, please remember to put either a safety chain or cable from your trailer to your towing vehicle. The amount of people who don't do this absolutely amazes me and yes, it is the law. My wife and I were hit by a trailer whose hitch snapped last year and it almost cost us out lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi,
    Please, please, please remember to put either a safety chain or cable from your trailer to your towing vehicle. The amount of people who don't do this absolutely amazes me and yes, it is the law. My wife and I were hit by a trailer whose hitch snapped last year and it almost cost us out lives.

Good advice ...but then again, the safety chain only really has an effect when there are working brakes on the trailer. When was the last time you saw one of those?

Advertisement