Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need to be a registered Busienss to import from China

Options
  • 15-03-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Just a quick Question,

Do you need to be a registered Busienss to import from China?

I'm importing Pen's and stuff like that.. there will be a few pallets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

NeVeR wrote:
    Just a quick Question,

Do you need to be a registered Busienss to import from China?

I'm importing Pen's and stuff like that.. there will be a few pallets.
    No i donot think so as i imported items before and i havnt had a problem.I just imported it on my own personal name and not to a company or business name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 appleman_thai

Drdre,
    How did you get on with customs? Did you have to pay much duties? Was customs clearance easy?
    How about the shipping costs?
    I have a container coming from Thailand and will be dealing with the customs soon!

Drdre,
    How did you get on with customs? Did you have to pay much duties? Was customs clearance easy?
    How about the shipping costs?
    I have a container coming from Thailand and will be dealing with the customs soon!

Hi just got my stuff afew weeks ago.I didnt deal with customs i got a clearing agent to do it all.It cost me 60 for there fees and i was happy :)
    All paper was given to them and they did the rest.What are you importing from thailand?
    Goodluck and if you need more details let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

sorry to hijack the thread but what customs agent did you use DrDre? the only one i found was this

http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailssearch.ds

I'm looking at importing some clothing from China, about €2000 worth of stuff and I'm not too sure how to do it. Have some samples arriving next week hopefully so providing they are in good condidtion I would be looking at importing some more!

Also, how does it work? You just give the customs agent your invoice and a copy of your payment receipt??

sorry to hijack the thread but what customs agent did you use DrDre? the only one i found was this

http://www.goldenpages.ie/detailssearch.ds

I'm looking at importing some clothing from China, about €2000 worth of stuff and I'm not too sure how to do it. Have some samples arriving next week hopefully so providing they are in good condidtion I would be looking at importing some more!

Also, how does it work? You just give the customs agent your invoice and a copy of your payment receipt??

I will get you the details later.i have the phone number and details at home.is that ok

• Advertisement

Here you go guys.i found them really good and efficent.

GROUPAGE SHIIPING & TRANSPORT, AMIEN ST,DUBLIN 1

PH: 01-8554277.

Euro 65 for customs clearance & 225 for locla handling charge which has to be paid to them and they pay the shipping company on top of the shipping charge already paid.

cool, they're the same people from the goldenpages!

did you have any experience dealing with customs in terms of duty and vat?

i dont have a business set up and figure i would be liable for duty and vat on top of the goods plus shipping, and then i would have to pay the 290 for customs clearence as well - this is all adding up. think it would be cheaper to fly to hong kong and collect the goods myself!

i dont have a business set up and figure i would be liable for duty and vat on top of the goods plus shipping, and then i would have to pay the 290 for customs clearence as well - this is all adding up. think it would be cheaper to fly to hong kong and collect the goods myself!

Im not a registered business. they dealt with customs on my behalf and just asked me for a cheque/draft for them.

Really these guys are hassle free.and thats what i like :)

What are you getting from hong kong.

branded clothing. I am aware that no courier company will handle fakes so they are not fakes just in case your wondering! yeah it sounds hassle free!

the hong kong company is sending the goods via DHL so i dont suppose you would know if I still need a clearing agent? i mean if they are charging €500/600 would i still need to pay Groupage shipping and transport the €225, or whatever that charge is, even if they dont handle the goods?

• Advertisement

branded clothing. I am aware that no courier company will handle fakes so they are not fakes just in case your wondering! yeah it sounds hassle free!

the hong kong company is sending the goods via DHL so i dont suppose you would know if I still need a clearing agent? i mean if they are charging €500/600 would i still need to pay Groupage shipping and transport the €225, or whatever that charge is, even if they dont handle the goods?

NO NO NO, its only for pallets you have to pay that, you must be happy now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pd2006

Hi Ya

You could be liable to Vat and customs duty. Customs are stamping down on stuff coming in form outside the EU and my uncle works for an post and he told me that they have been told to open parcels etc from outside the EU for people trying to avoid paying vat and duty. There is a big clampdown this year even the revenue are targeting ebay sellers as people are making money and not declaring it and irish suppliers are losing out as people are selling products cheaper than they can. Just to make you aware that you could be caught ( probably wont but there is a chance) I had stuff stopped twice but got them through after paying VAT and Duty

pd2006 wrote:
    Hi Ya

You could be liable to Vat and customs duty. Customs are stamping down on stuff coming in form outside the EU and my uncle works for an post and he told me that they have been told to open parcels etc from outside the EU for people trying to avoid paying vat and duty. There is a big clampdown this year even the revenue are targeting ebay sellers as people are making money and not declaring it and irish suppliers are losing out as people are selling products cheaper than they can. Just to make you aware that you could be caught ( probably wont but there is a chance) I had stuff stopped twice but got them through after paying VAT and Duty

How can they clamp down on ebay users?

theres two points to that post:

revenue are targetting people who are operating businesses through eBay and not declaring for Tax/VAT. While they do not have to pay VAT if the annual turnover is < €70,000 or there abouts the are still liable for personal income tax, right?

secondly, for irish people buying stuff off eBay to the value greater than £18 they are liable for VAT and this is where An Post is stepping in and charging VAT on behalf of revenue.ie

I have been reading up on the revenue website and yes I do beleive I would be liable for duty and VAT on the goods I import, hence travelling to HK and picking the goods up personally, removing the labels when I'm coming home and how ever would they know!!!! Ah, realistically I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. Wait until the few samples arrive next week hopefully and then go from there

@DrDre: I'd be looking at paying Duty & VAT and the processing charge (€65) that GTS charge? Thats about it?

revenue are targetting people who are operating businesses through eBay and not declaring for Tax/VAT. While they do not have to pay VAT if the annual turnover is < €70,000 or there abouts the are still liable for personal income tax, right?

secondly, for irish people buying stuff off eBay to the value greater than £18 they are liable for VAT and this is where An Post is stepping in and charging VAT on behalf of revenue.ie

I have been reading up on the revenue website and yes I do beleive I would be liable for duty and VAT on the goods I import, hence travelling to HK and picking the goods up personally, removing the labels when I'm coming home and how ever would they know!!!! Ah, realistically I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. Wait until the few samples arrive next week hopefully and then go from there

@DrDre: I'd be looking at paying Duty & VAT and the processing charge (€65) that GTS charge? Thats about it?

If you go yourself you dont have to pay the 65 euro charge.
    What type of clothes are you bringing in and are you reselling them.Are you retailer or wholesaler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sajid

If you are interested in more details of Chinese Business/Economy (although quite far from what your initial question was ...)

http://ca.hable.ca/articles/070424_082609-Marty-Chenard-China-Report-....php

drdre wrote:
    If you go yourself you dont have to pay the 65 euro charge.
    What type of clothes are you bringing in and are you reselling them.Are you retailer or wholesaler?

go to customs? I've never dealt with them before so ill have to do some investigating! and it would be upmarket branded clothing. I'm only looking at a smaller scale too, not quite wholesaler, yet! have you been importing similar?

go to customs? I've never dealt with them before so ill have to do some investigating! and it would be upmarket branded clothing. I'm only looking at a smaller scale too, not quite wholesaler, yet! have you been importing similar?

Good luck with it, I just asked as i know MANY people in the wholesaling and retailing of clothes in ireland.Im not into it myself.

drdre wrote:
    Good luck with it, I just asked as i know MANY people in the wholesaling and retailing of clothes in ireland.Im not into it myself.

yeah it seems pretty cut throat alright! plan on selling through ebay and possibly website, still investigating the whole thing!

yeah it seems pretty cut throat alright! plan on selling through ebay and possibly website, still investigating the whole thing!

In the clothing business you need constant supply.your best bet is buy from the uk.

• Advertisement

yeah well i think ill test the water first. im going to wait for my few samples first, if they are in good condition then i will order maybe 50 pieces. if they shift ok then I will build it up incrementally and go from there. do you mind me asking what business you are in yourself?

yeah well i think ill test the water first. im going to wait for my few samples first, if they are in good condition then i will order maybe 50 pieces. if they shift ok then I will build it up incrementally and go from there. do you mind me asking what business you are in yourself?

Im a student, my parents are in the restaurant/takeaway business.
    The guys i know in the clothing business are the owners of japan/ angel (shops) and they are one of the largest clothing wholesalers in ireland.

scooby are you importing branded clothes or just normal none branded ones.

branded clothing

branded clothing

There are some laws about branded clothing so make sure you find out.for example you arent allowed to sell ambercrombie in ireland.
    If large companies find out you will get screwed even if you are caught with 1 items.seriously most stuff like that from china/asia will be fake.they will say its real but its not.

sure ill just wait and see what the samples are like and take it one step at a time. as the old adage goes, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is so im not going to rush into anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

1. If there was hundreds of Irish making real biz on eBay and not declaring it that would be a concern for the REVENUE but this is simply not the case.
    The fact you sell once a good on eBay, as an individual, you can not charge the VAT.

2. You do not have to pay the VAT on imported goods and services in Ireland from another EU country.
    If you buy off a retailler outside Ireland and within the EU you already paid the VAT, you do not have to pay again.
    If you buy from an individual within the EU, you pay not VAT at all.

I think the fact that Play.com, Warehouse express.com etc are based in Jersey and not EEC means that you are supposed to pay VAT on goods from there though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Also remember if you are the first to import a product into the EU you are responsible for any liabilities from product defects that cause injury i.e. if someone goes to sue then you are seen as being the manufacturer always - even whenever the same product is imported by a different company to the EU. Just something to think of when importing from outside the EU.

• Advertisement

axer wrote:
    Also remember if you are the first to import a product into the EU you are responsible for any liabilities from product defects that cause injury i.e. if someone goes to sue then you are seen as being the manufacturer always - even whenever the same product is imported by a different company to the EU. Just something to think of when importing from outside the EU.
    Where does it state that?

Advertisement