Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Help] Fitting rings/mounts and scope/bolt clearance.

Options
  • 15-03-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

I have not mounted my scope yet but I have now got Rings that
    I will hopefully be able to use. Any Advice on below would be welcome.

I got rings the other day for 80 Euros but went to put them on
    and there was a lug at the bottom of the back one which did not let
    me slide the ring onto the rail So I returned them.

I just bought Sports Match rings now and I am seeing the same problem.
    My rail does not have any holes in it to place the back ring.
    Tried pulling this lug out with a Leathermans tool but its firmly
    stuck in place , I wonder if it can be tapped out some way.

I dont even know why the damn thing is there in the first place
    I can only guess the rings were designed for an Air Rifle and not a rimfire.

th_PICT0003.jpg
    th_PICT0002.jpg
    th_PICT0001.jpg

Pics below the rings are not tightened fully and the back one is not in position
    because of the lug preventing me from sliding it onto the rail correctly.
    What is also worrying is the bottom of the ring mount. The side where
    you loosed/tighten the screws looks thicker/higher a tiny bit that the other side and looks as though it wont go on correct or cants:
    th_PICT0005.jpg
    th_PICT0004.jpg

The mounts are high enough to clear the 56mm objective but its when you
    open the bolt is where it is very tight when it comes to clearence.
    I'm not happy about that. Not sure how far back or forward the eye bell needs
    to be where I have it on the pics feels right when I look through it but the
    saddle turret area is then directly above the ejection port.
    th_PICT0012.jpg
    th_PICT0008.jpg
    th_PICT0006.jpg
    th_PICT0007.jpg

Mmmmm very rough but as soon I get this thing mounted and zeroed
    it should shape up nicely:
    th_PICT0011.jpg
    th_PICT0009.jpg

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey B

Those little lugs can definitely be tapped out and sometimes tapped into the mount itself as I have had to do it before.

I cannot see from your pic but usually they can be tapped all the way back into the mount itself saving you having to remove them fully. So using a hammer and something thin but blunt to place on the top of the lug try tapping it slowly and accurately so it either comes out or goes back into the mount.

I would be more worried about the bolt clearence and the fact they do not sit well on the dovetail. :(

I will be going through the same thing myself very soon as you know so hopefully we can get a solution to this problem.

So can anyone recommend mounts they use on the CZ which will suit this application? I will try other forums I visit and see what they use

Nice cat by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Dunno about the rings,but the bolt handle,you could check if the handle is removable and maybe order a custom bolt handle from CZ or...there is a gunsmith job that can be done with a" bolt handle bender tool"??? in which you can get the bolt bent into a shape where it will clear the scope,yet still lock the action.It is a gunsmith job tho,so maybe give Ralf Niebauer a ring??He is now the only gunsmith I know around us down here in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Erm... don't be showing us the serial number of your gun!

edited to add-
    Are we ever looking at a set of 3/8" mounts and an 11mm dovetail here, by any chance?
    Some mount manufacturers market 'universal' mounts that allegedly fit both, but in my opinion, the approx. 1.5mm difference between 3/8" (9.525mm) and 11mm is a bit too much to be making up with longish screws and plenty of torque.

Short of heading off to a gunsmith to get the bolt handle bent as CG suggests, you're looking for a compromise between the objective end clearing the barrel, the overall height of the tube, and the position of the eyepiece to clear the bolt handle and still have it all in a comfortable and natural position relative to how you position your cheek on the stock.
    It's all a juggling act, but you'll need to start with the correct dovetail on the mounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Rovi wrote:
    Erm... don't be showing us the serial number of your gun!
    Are we ever looking at a set of 3/8" mounts and an 11mm dovetail here, by any

Ooops serial pic now gone!
    The Rail on the rifle is supposed to be a 3/8" Dovetail
    acording to the CZ(USA) website that states the Varmints chambered
    for .17 (even though the .22 version has an 11mm Rail)
    The mounts are good for 3/8" or 11mm (or so it said on the packaging)

I'll fiddle about with the eyepiece to see what I can do about the bolt
    handle. The Bolt Handle does not touch the scope at all its just very close
    for my liking.

The bending of the bolt handle as CG suggests seems a severe thing to do
    will keep it in mind as a last resort though.

thanks.
    ~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

The pin thats causing you the grief is usually made from hardened steel , its probably pushed into the mount ~ 6mm or more . Theres a couple of ways to get it out , the easiest it to get something to slip into it to stop it collapsing , then take away the removable side of the clamp , then grab it in a decent bench vise ( cheap vise will only make a mess of it). A little bit of twisting and pulling by hand and it'll come out .

<edit> If you're stuck and want it for the weekend , pm me i'll extract them for you , gratis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Get the job done by a gunsmith as you dont seem to be to happy doing it yourself. They'll charge you hardly anything for it..

You have loads of clearance there wouldnt expect to be getting much more than that as long as it can slide freely its fine unless your hand is getting in the way hich it shouldnt be.

As for the lug in the mounts just drill it out of it or hammer or something on my ones at the otherside (inside the ring) there was a allen head on it so you could just screw it out. But for alot cheaper than €80 you should be able to get suitable mounts without than in it.

The dovetail on the .17hmr is 3/8" and if the mounts say that thats what they are for then dont worry about it.

I have the hawke match mounts on mine and they are really good value mounts its what most people use on they're cz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Would second Pisittacosis on this.
    If it doesnt all go together properly for you on a gun...see a gunsmith.
    Guns are too delicate and expensive to bodge up,especially when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Try "flipping" the removable clamp as shown in the attached pic ;) .

Thanks Guys,

Flipping the side piece looks as though it installs better
    and a bit more level.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

that lug can be tapped back into the mount,its an option that certain rifles have on the rail of a stop pin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

bullets wrote:
    and a bit more level.

Cool :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

bullets wrote:
    Thanks Guys,

and a bit more level.

~B

good news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) The 'lug' is called an arrestor pin and is used on some scope mounts to fit a hole on better quality scopes.It prevents scope 'creep' on centre fire rifles and airgun springers. Remove it with a pincers and store it !
    It looks to me that your mounts are too low and you need a medium height set.

recipio wrote:
    ;) The 'lug' is called an arrestor pin and is used on some scope mounts to fit a hole on better quality scopes.It prevents scope 'creep' on centre fire rifles and airgun springers.

Cheers for that info. I was guessing it was something to do with recoil
    with the larger calibre rifles. The mounts I bought I think were the high mounts
    I did not see any higher than the ones I got.

Heres the decription from the online store:
    SportsMatch Reach Forward Mounts 30mm High
    SportsMatch Reach Forward Mounts 30mm High 9-11mm
    Dovetail 30mm High Up to 56mm Lens
    Price: £36.55 (£42.95 Inc. VAT)

After doing a test fit tonight the bolt handle clears the the scope by about 6-8mm (I'm guessing not measuring) while working the action, I am used to a hell of a lot more clearence with the club rifles that use way smaller scopes and my firends .22 it may just take getting used to.

~B

Advertisement