Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vat Off!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What about older 2nd hand cars and VAT.

If one buys off a dealer I presume that the car comes with VAT all included in the rpice. Can one say to the dealer to mark the car for export and therefore you dont have to pay 17.5% VAT on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

1not24get wrote:

Second question:

Say I, an Irish resident, buy a new car in the UK...pay the full UK VAT inclusive price...register it in my name with a UK address...park it in long term storage.....then after six months take it from UK to Europe...go on holiday around Europe with it.....put up 6000km on it......return to Ireland present myself with the car at a VRO....what would happen?

Could I just pay the VRT and drive away? Would this be legal?

You're thinking sounds like a lot of trouble but I reckon I'd save €10,000 on top of the range VW sharan tdi!!

Does anyone know of a 'VRT' accountant who i could ask? just get the feeling if I asked the VRO, they would just say NO to get rid of me!

No, it won't work, and no, it's not legal. " which is why you'll have to bring proof of UK residency - electricity bill/payslips/rent, etc......." and, as previous poster says, they wouldn't even believe his wife was from Belfast - and I'm presuming she was !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

jank wrote:
    What about older 2nd hand cars and VAT.

If one buys off a dealer I presume that the car comes with VAT all included in the rpice. Can one say to the dealer to mark the car for export and therefore you dont have to pay 17.5% VAT on it.

You don't pay VAT on second had goods, officially.

Of course there is a residual tax element in the open market price of a second hand car but good luck negotiating that, the dealer will have swallowed a portion of that in his trade-in or purchase price. Them's the breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

cjt156 wrote:
    You don't pay VAT on second had goods, officially.

yes you do

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/info17_03.doc

heres the second hand car document

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/info_oct95.pdf

Advertisement