Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

from what i have heard from my mate, only one person failed, and that was a girl.
    she got something like 3.02 for the run, but only 24kg on the push pull. so she passed the run, and if she had done in 2 seconds faster she would have passed the push pull by compensation.

if you do the run in 3 mins or under. and fail the push pull by 10% you are passed by compensation.

i say she will pass it when she retakes it. i mean all she has to do is increase by 1 kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

if you fail the physical on the day, can u take it again or do u have to apply again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

griffen
    you are given 12 weeks to condition yourself and you will then retake the test. you do not have to reapply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

yeah only 1 girl failed yesterday, it's not too hard really, just in case people were wondering youve to do 3laps of the obstacle course(without a break) in 3mins 20 - you can compensate by 10% if for example you do the obstacle course in 3mins you only have to get 22.5kg on the push pull machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Saw the push pul machine on the video, and other details on what it is and what we could do to help prepare. ie is it similar to a bench press.

What exactly is required to pass etc

It seems to be alright, but a bit of prep cant hurt.

NH

What is required, to put it bluntly, is relatively strong shoulders and chest muscles. Yes press-ups, bench should help. No matter how much prep you put into it if you cannot use a similar machine beforehand you will probably feel uncomfortable on the day, but you shoudln't fail it. 25kgs isn't a whole lot for a guy espeicially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

NeverHappy wrote:
    Saw the push pul machine on the video, and other details on what it is and what we could do to help prepare. ie is it similar to a bench press.

Nope its not like a bench press cos u use your whole body i.e. push with your legs, you will be shown th proper technique and given a practice go, if your doing anything wrong on your practice go you will be told. Then you'll be asked if your ready when u are u just start - push and pull for 20seconds thats it. The more force u put in the more resistance u get, the pass mark is 25kg most of the lads yesterday got around the 40 mark so it aint too hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I would say that I used my arms and chest more so than my legs..but yes..your leg muscles will have a serious impact on your performance.

They put me on the push pull machine within three minutes of the obstacle course..Needless to say my heart was still pounding and I found that I didn't have enough time to let a 'second wind' kick in. I made it though..Just make sure you don't overdo your practice run on the machine.

By the way, there was roughly about thirty of us; four of which were girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

hi well done foregone delighted for you !!

i just got my application forms today in the post and they have to be returned by the 22nd april, i didnt get an exact date but it should be in the first week of june as i came 1013, my friend came 831 and her interview is on the 24th of may.

any tips from anyone on what to fill out for the examples on the forms. i have read all past posts so just looking for any extra tips that will help in any way.

also if anyone has any tips on the report writting as this is the area i expect to have most trouble with!

also was it you foregone that said you were asked your application to be emailed to you? was there any problem doing this?

i would appreciate any help from anyone even if someone wants to pm me,

• Advertisement

I rang the public appointments service today. they said results will be posted early next week. let's see if they keep to this.

i also spoke to the garda appointments people once again. and once again they checked and surprise surprise, no results for me. the guy i was talking to said they were getting calls every day from people like me. he said they(the gards) are hounding the PAS for the results, but that they are just being really slow at sending them. Also he said that the may 3rd class was as good as full, except if huge ammounts try to differ(which is unlikely) so anyone who hasnt heard yet will be heading down from august 3rd onwards.
    also, don't expect phonecalls anymore, they only did that to rush the people through for the may 3rd class.

the thing which i think is an absolute joke, is that after the interviews people are meant to go into a merit pool. and the best of those go for medical etc first. so while i assume the best of the people who the gards were given the results of were called first, some people who havent had their results' sent on yet could have done better.
    i hope you understand what i mean.

basically, out of 10 people. no. 1 did the best, and 10 the worst. lets say person 3-9 had their results' sent on to the gards and have been offered a job. but 1,2 and 10 still have their results sitting in the civil service and no job offer, but according to the merit pool system, 1 and 2 should have done the medical etc before 3 upwards.
    so people who did worse than others are given jobs offers before the best.
    hopefully this is clear.
    it just annoys me how this whole thing has been handled by the civil service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 royal

Well done on having passed best of luck down there..

Thanks for the support guys.

Shaz: I think it was lilolil that asked for the form in electronic format. If you phone the PAS they should email it to you without any problem.

Don't fill it in by hand. It was absolute murder for me trying to write as small as possible.

Detective: You're right. There's probably people waiting there who didn't get their results yet. I sympathise with your case as I doubt that any of the Police Forces in the UK will be speedy in the backround checks when they themselves get no benefit from it.

Best of Luck you two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

can anyone remember if they were interviewed by board 33?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lilolil

There is no problem getting your form emailed to you - Just ring the PAS and ask them to forward it to you.

Rgds

Lilolil ;)

yeah it's worth it getting the electronic format. thanks for sending it on to me lil.
    i still have it if anyone can't get it sent to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lilolil

:) BTW - Re the weight thing! I started on Monday this week on Fruit & Veg only! I've lost about 5lbs already! I'm just stuffing myself with fruit & veg! It's hard but it'll be worth it in the end!

At least i've a bit of time now before my medical if I passed the interview stage! Everything was so rushed up to this! I couldn't concentrate on losing weight!

Lilolil

5 lbs? That's very impressive.

I've been on the same for quite some time..That said..I wouldn't mind a chicken dinner right now.

Keep up the good work. You've lost more in five days than I have in three weeks.!

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

I did my interview on the 1st of April. Didnt go fantastically well as i wasnt well prepared, which i should have been, since it is my 2nd time to do it. Failed last time due to eyesight.

Im exepecting to hear about my interview in a week or so. Im not exactly overly motivated about getting in shape, although i should be. Is there is anyone in D.12 or D.24 area that is waiting for their medical ? Im looking for some that is doing training, be it jogging, walking or whatever, who wants someone else to go along ? Its easier when someone else is there too.

where are d12 and d24?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 royal

Detective! was wondering would it be possible to get a sneak preview of those documents in electronic format.

Cheers

Royal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Drummer - if you get in, will you be able to carry two batons? Or at least a baton and an egg?

Just to keep the rhythm, you understand! :D

Not your ornery onager

sure, pm me with your email address royal

anyone interested in a kilroys college course? i have one if anyone wants. pm me if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Waterboy

Drummer wrote:
    I did my interview on the 1st of April. Didnt go fantastically well as i wasnt well prepared, which i should have been, since it is my 2nd time to do it. Failed last time due to eyesight.

Drummer, did you get laser treatment since your last medical?
    If so, why did you have to reapply as i thought they allow you to get it done
    after the medical.

Hi detective, did my interviw on March 24th, still no word yet. Confidence is getting lower every day. Couldn't have done much better in interview so what more can you do? Dont know where all these extra gardai the government promised are going to come out of...

hey waterboy, have you spoken to the garda appointments office? they should be able to tell you if they have recieved your results yet.
    but at this stage it's probably just a case of waiting till wednesday for the civil service to post us our results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I just found out that some that did the interview the day after me has passed the interview stage so it's not looking good for me. :(

Gary.

ah i wouldnt get down-hearted just yet, wait till wednesday or whenever it is and see what the story is.

Hi detective, i rang the civil service and was told that my result will be
    posted next wk, same as everyone, didnt ring the garda office though.
    Still fairly confident though, think couldnt be a better year for applying as government are under pressure to deliver extra gardai as promised

yeah, hopefully it will be good news.

anway i'll be away till thursday so won't be getting the results till then, but i'll let you all know how i got on as soon as i know.

hope everyone waiting for results gets good news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Other than the aptitude test is there any other sort of psychological screening involved? I presume after they narrow down the list of possible recruits there might be further testing to check you're not a loon? I think the FBI has some sort of psychological screening but then comparing the FBI and the Gardaí probably isn't appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

Cosworth wrote:
    I just found out that some that did the interview the day after me has passed the interview stage so it's not looking good for me. :(

Gary.

Hey Cosworth,

did they get word by phone or post??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

morning everyone,

has anyone got any idea what a typical day in templemore entails? are their classes in the morning - physical in the afternoon? what kind of physical work is it? is it all running? what way does it work? have the medical in the morning just wondering what happens on a normal day down there. anyone got any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

thanks foregone, i rang and i asked for the forms to be emailed out to me and there was no problem, now all i gotta do is try to open them- it is impossible to download anything in these internet cafes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Yay!! Just got date for interview today...1st week in June.
    Time to knuckle down on the study and training!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ShinyDiscoBall

Heys guys,

My brother just told me about this post so i decided to throw my 2 cent in!!

I passed the physical last wed with some of the other guys on here....dont no who you are but was no doubt talkin to ya's at sum stage during the day!!

I wont be startin on the 3rd cause of exams however they have told me i can head down later cause my exams are over soon enuf!!The reason for this is that they dont really do much the first week its more of an induction and the real stuff dont start till the folowing monday!!really lookin forward to headin down should be good!!

No doubt ill see some of you soon!!!

To those who just got interviews etc the very best of luck with the whole process it is'nt too bad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Poitiers

Hi lads and ladies. Just found this site a couple of hourse ago. like detective and another few, I am still waiting. I think the postman thinks i'm stalking him !

I had my interview on th 29th March. --- still nothing. I'm not hopeful after hearing all of your good news stories about medicals and the like.

One thing for sure is starting now --- no more pringles or fags !!! Gone ! until I hear I didn't get it.

It is crazy that some people have not heard (either way). It's a big strain on me waiting, hopeing and wishing. Think i'll follow ye're lead and make a few calls today to the psc and the gardai.

Delighted to have come found the forum --- only wished I had it leading up to my interview --- would have helped greatly.

Hi lads and ladies. Just found this site a couple of hours ago. like detective and another few, I am still waiting. I think the postman thinks I’m stalking him !

I had my interview on the 29th March. --- still nothing. I'm not hopeful after hearing all of your good news stories about medicals and the like.

One thing for sure is starting now --- no more Pringles or fags !!! Gone ! until I hear I didn't get it.

It is crazy that some people have not heard (either way). It's a big strain on me waiting, hoping and wishing. Think I’ll follow you’re lead and make a few calls today to the psc and the gardai.

Delighted to have come found the forum --- only wished I had it leading up to my interview --- would have helped greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Good morning

I received an e_mail from the PAS yesterday to state that the interview results will issue today. Sort of re-affirms what everyone else was told. Ah well it was good while it lasted.

• Advertisement

Today? Finally, at least you guys will have some peace.

I'll probably get a letter stating that I have a medical for three weeks ago - Don't be late! ;)

Welcome aboard new thread-stalkers.

Today? Finally, at least you guys will have some peace.

I'll probably get a letter stating that I have a medical for three weeks ago - Don't be late! ;)

Welcome aboard new thread-stalkers.

I'm assuming they meant they would be posting them today. I'm not at all hopeful but well done to all who are starting May 3. And have pity on me if you stop me for speeding.

Guys,
    At what stage do you have to supply family details etc.... is it when you meet the local Super?
    Also what info is needed, parents/ aunts, uncles/cousins??, and how much info, birthdates, addresses etc??.. I'm trying to get my stuff together to avoid any mad rush.

mcguiver wrote:
    Guys,
    At what stage do you have to supply family details etc.... is it when you meet the local Super?
    Also what info is needed, parents/ aunts, uncles/cousins??, and how much info, birthdates, addresses etc??.. I'm trying to get my stuff together to avoid any mad rush.

I had to supply those details withint 2/3 of hearing I had passed the aptitude test. It was before I had met the local Super. You need parents/siblings/aunts/uncles with address and d.o.b.'s and jobs. To be honest I didn't include any cousins as I'd still be writing if I did. I'm not sure whether this would apply to you but I had to the same thing for all my in-laws. War and peace wasn't as long.

Cousin's details aren't necessary for Stage 2. However, if you are offered a place in Templemore you will have to bring with you a list of your relations (up to and including first cousins) who reside in the Irish Republic.

Just rand Garda HQ for an update --- told me to ring Public jobs.
    Rang public jobs and they said all remaining letters were sent out today so I should have my letter tomorrow. The waiting is nearly over .... at last.

Jesus, If I won the lotto I'd gladly hand over the winning ticket to be starting in templemore. This is my second time applying for the Gardai.

Can I just say also, that when I found these messages late last night, it was reading the greatest book in the world, because I had 27 pages of posts to read. It was great to hear all of the people who were nervous going for interview and then weeks on getting called for the medical. Fair play to all that are starting soon in templemore !!!

Did detective hear anything yet ????????? Sounds like a sound guy and I hope you get it boy !

When ye get your letter tomorrow .... will ye post something ????

Cheers .....

Poitiers

• Advertisement

Cheers,
    That saves me a bit of research....
    I was chattin to a young Garda yesterday... he was saying the wages are a kick where it hurts... he'd dropped from a well paid job.

What dates did you all do the interview.

Mine was on the 29th March. Cosworth was saying he did his interview on March 31st and someone who did it after him was after hearing that they passed. I'm kinda thinking I didn't get it upon hearing that news.

I'll certainly post to let everyone know how I got on.

The wages would be some kick in the teeth for me too. In the end I think it would be worth it though.

I've a lot of experience of dealing with both the Gardai and Civil service...and one things for definite...nothing happens in a hurry. Add two weeks to any date they give you, and then some more.

So fingers crossed for anyone waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

failed the medical today. if your BMI is over 25 at all forget about it. i'm down to 26.8 from 29 but it still wasn't good enough. kick in the nuts though.

chat tya's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

thats so unfair can you not do it again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement