Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

i think you are a civilian up till you are attested at the end of stage 3? up until then you are only an observer when out on stage 2. and in stage 4 you are a fully fledged(spelling??) garda, but a student garda at that.
    At Stage 4 you change from being a Student Garda to a Probie I think. I'm sure too that you're right in saying that you're defo not a civilian after Stage 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

How much of the prep notes did they question you on in the interview?

Do you need to know breakdown of the number of Gardai, inspectors etc.... number of divisions/districts ??

Defo know the subjects you will study and the general layout of the course (I mean the phases). If they asked you how many inspectors then I would be, and you'd have the right to be, disgusted. Having said that, you should have a GENERAL idea of the force's organistion. Know there is about 200 inspectors and about 10000 gardai. Know the Commisionners name. They won't ask ho tough sepcific questions. This isn't leaving cert maths. It's an interview.... they want to learn about you as a person more than they want to learn about what you know.

The key word was community, in my interview.

Be youself. If your unsure about "the right thing to say" then just give your opinion but add "but I'm sure after 2 years training in Templemore I'd be better equiped to handle that and any other situation" at the end of your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

Mcguiver; Im not an expert but from experience I would advise you to know as much as possible because they could ask you anything... they might throw in a tricky question as well (just to see how you react).. it all depends on the interview board you have... theyre pushed for time as well...

Thanks,
    Its hard to know how far to go with the study.
    I'll try pushing my community volunteer work...luckily I'v plenty of that done!

A local cop who knows me said community is the buzz word at the moment.

I've served as a Military Police officer in the F.C.A. and done a lot of firearms training here/northern irl + overseas
    I shoot most weeks...but I recon any mention of firearms could give the wrong impression at an interview.

My other line of thinking is when they run my name up pops my firearm permits, pulse ID etc.

I wonder will the interview panel have access to any other records at this stage?? I'm guessing they dont.

You should def mention to them that youre in the FCA its connected to police work, experience of firearms is a good thing...as your trained in firearms in templemore so youd have a good advantage..you should say that you practice regularly aswell..
    Its hard to know if they check up any records before the interview, your local Garda Station does a thorough background check on you...and then if your successful in stage 2 your file is sent to Gard HQ where they do further checks..
    "Democracy", Team-work, seem to be buzz words aswell

experience of firearms would be useful for the Ballistics Unit...

Firearms training for recruits is only firearms legislation...pity!
    But from talking to Gardai on firing ranges theres a big split in the force regarding guns.... most never get to fire one and seems to have issues with people who do.

I'm sure my FCA Police training will be a bonus, being able to quote differences in military law from criminal etc.
    Plus theres a lot of similarities in proceedures... searching people/vehicles/buildings, report writing.

Sure who knows how it will go on the day... hows your prep work goin Sarah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

any one know what the story about bringing cars to templemore is?

oh does anyone know any good place to stay in near chapter house?

I thought that trainees do target practice...maybe they dont anymore..

Preparations going alright just want to get it over and done with at this stage, im concentrating on examples I wrote down and alternatives..im trying to practice for the video report...

• Advertisement

Shaz you could stay somewhere on o'connell st, its expensive enough though, this time of the year they do be booked out aswell

thanks sarah,
    just found a hostel called globetrotters on 47/48 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, is that near it, i haven't a clue of dublin!!

how do u get from o connell street t jarvis street

shaz021 wrote:
    thanks sarah,
    just found a hostel called globetrotters on 47/48 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1, is that near it, i haven't a clue of dublin!!

how do u get from o connell street t jarvis street

Yeah Gardiner St is near enough, Id be careful about staying in a hostel, you'd be better off staying in a B&B or Hotel theres a good few on Gardiner St, you could stay in kellys hotel, south great Georges St (about €50) its not far away. Will you be coming on the train? If you are get the Luas directly outside the front of Heuston Train Station, get off at the Jervis St stop-Chapter House is directly opposite-

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ShinyDiscoBall

um yeah,
    how the **** u know that?

I am about to become a garda and al!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I am about to become a garda and all!!!!

Lol. Starting so soon?

/seeks warrant for SDB's bank account details.

Jk ;)

Yep i am indeed!This may!!However i will be startin late due to exams!!!!

sarahb wrote:
    you could stay in kellys hotel, south great Georges St (about €50) its not far away. Will you be coming on the train? If you are get the Luas directly outside the front of Heuston Train Station, get off at the Jervis St stop-Chapter House is directly opposite-

thanks a million,i hope i am prepared enough, just trying to learn my last few bits, i was told if i pass my interview that my medical will be in june sometime!! unoffically of course!
    think i will die if don't get it ,
    they are all telling me i will get it in work! if only they knew the procedure!! oh well , it will be all worth it in the end[i hope]

i will post when i am finished to let u no how it goes, just incase there has been any change in anything- even the random questions that are being asked or video for report writting,

any one else have there interview next wednesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

MORE QUESTION'S THAT I WAS ASKED

Q)It says in the booklet that we get paid €169.46 a week during phase 1 and 3 and that we receive allowances of for food and accomidation of €68.18.
    What is the criteria for receiving the allowance toward food and accomidation?Do we have to pay for food and accomidation down in templemore??

A)Your food accomidation is taken out of the 68.18, you dont get that money as on your pay slip you will see -68.18, it does not go into your pokect

Q)DEPUTY i was wondering about the interview for the garda can you give me any tips the question which would be asked and your answers if you can remember..i would be very great full thanks

A)I'm afraid I would have to write a book for that, Get kilroys college course is my advice and "tell them waht the want to hear"

TRY TO SHOW commitment to the job
    willing to move around, they will always ask this at the end and the answer is "YES"

Q)How long is it till you get your uniform??We have to bring 5 shirts a suit and a tie is dat just for the first week??

A)It may take upto 7 weeks to get the uniform

FOREGONEREALITY
    Our equipment. This may sound like a ridiculous question but what clothes are we meant to take with us? Do we bring everything down to our swimming trunks for the first few weeks until they provide the uniforms/swimwear?

A)Nope I am afraid you will need about 500 euro with you when yo come down to buy the tracksuit, t-shirt, shorts, runners, parade shoes and the swimwear are speedos and speedos only along with officel flipflops swimcap and grovey eyewear:) They provide you with didly ****e as you have to buy your own pillow and so on. There is a sheet change once a week.

RALPH LAUREN
    a 7 mile run sounds nasty alright.
    even though it doesnt apply to me, how long do you get for the 7 mile run? or is it just that you have to complete it? and are you expected to run full speed for the entire time?

also. was it did you get in first time you applied?

a)No, as long as it takes you, its not a test, Yes I got in first time araound(NO PULL)

SARAHB
    Can anyone give me a good example of how a garda makes a balanced decision?

A) not a f**KING CLUE (mayb weigh up the pros and cons quickly)

MCGUIVER
    Here's a silly question for those of you who've gone through the process.
    Back in the stone age when I did my leaving cert I got my results on a greenish coloured form, about 4 inches by 7 inches long. However I've seen others with an A4 size cert. Are both of these acceptable to the PAS people?
    I've tried our good friends in the Garda recruitment office and just get re-directed to Robbie Morrissey...who's not available!

A)yes

SHAZ021
    hi deputy,
    thanks for the info is so cool!!
    i love hearing all this stuff it makes it more real, i thought i was a fanatic about joining the gardai, i live eat and breathe the stuff so it is great to be able to chat with like minded people who were successfull!!

i have wanted to be a garda since i was 8, is all i wanted then and is more than ever what i want now!!

i was thinking what was it like the first time you were in a patrol car and you had to go to somewhere with the sirens going!! god i think i would pass out with the rush, it seriously must be an unreal feeling!! i know u prob get used to it , just that first time,

to be honest i am more looking forward to the interview than anything ,it is so structured that all you need is alot of preparation and if being a garda is all you want then all the work is worth it,there is so much info avaliable to us from this thread as well as public jobs and garda.ie that there is no reason anyone wont be well prepared,
    (i hope lol)
    it is the report writting i am ****ting!!

oh if anyone from cork as well is going for it pm me and maybe we can help each other out

a)YEP GREAT FUN, BUT REM you are going to a scene if the lights and sirens are blazin IT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN!!!!

coolhandluke
    Ah,yes
    The week of nights,a nightmare on the system.
    Going to court on your days off.
    Standing on a barrier for 12 hours in the wind and rain.
    A great job,but don't be thinking it's all gravy people !

A)I guess your in a city station with the week of nights

MCGUIVER
    Is the medical done in the Phoenix park ??

A) yes, go in the main gate, turn left at the gate house, and walk down the carpark and turn right and it is a old looking building.

second that!!

Am i right in my reading of the thread that:

1. Medical is in Phoenix Park
    2. Physical is in Templemore
    3. There's a visit to Templemore before doing the
    physical?? - if so is that compulsary

a) Yes but the visit is not copulsary but GO ANYWAY AND THE PCT Test is a piss easy, maybe hard for a small woman

O my jesus thats enough questions done for today............:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Is it a good idea to use garda terminology* in your answers or would it look like showing off?
    *"public office" "long number"

• Advertisement

vector wrote:
    Is it a good idea to use garda terminology* in your answers or would it look like showing off?
    *"public office" "long number"

I wouldnt say that it would do u any harm in the interview but it certainly aint necessary!!!

But defo have a knowledge of the garda as a whole!!!

I would just like to say a big "Thank You" to everyone who answered all of the questions I asked over the last few months, either through the public forum or through the PM's.

This has been a very helpful thread. I know that it hasn't only been helpful to me either. There really should be a Gardaí related forum somewhere. Maybe not on boards.ie, but somewhere.

To those of you that have already made it I cannot wait to serve with you all. To those of you who will inevitably make it in the coming months I say put in as much effort as you can to the interview and get fitISH!! I can't wait to meet you all. And to those who didn't make it - time will heal and there is so much more out there other than the GARDA service. Plus, there's always next time if the desire doesn't leave you.

Thanks for everything guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

good luck to everyone starting tomorrow. make sure you all enjoy yourselves, and please don't become the gards who walk around being a prick because they hate one thing or other about the job, as you are very fortunate to have gotten in. well done, and have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Yes. Like Oceallachain I have to thank the board for their support over the passed number of months (26th of January, My God..) and how useful the information has been in regards to the Interview/Medical and Physical. I'm certainly looking forward to the whole new start tomorrow (even if I might pass out in the first run ;)). Oceallachain, you'll more than likely meet me at some point. If I meet a Limerickman the first question I'll ask will be about Boards.ie ('You Geek!!' might be the reponse if I'm wrong).

I'm looking forward to meeting those in the next intake..Plus..If time permits I'm definately going to come online and answer a few questions that I've been sent via PM (Sorry guys..Time is really a constraint on me today).

Take care, and best of luck.

I'd like to add that I will be home on the weekends for the most part and I promise to answer all questions that are PM'd to me on weekends.

I do realize how fortunate I am to be given this great opportunity Ralph and I will do everything in my power to become a proactive cop. I hope my feelings don't change regarding that.

Like Forgone, today is a bit of a busy one for me. The bags are pretty much all packed, however. The brother and the mother will be driving me down - thank god I don't have to take the train with the bags in hand.

Foregone, I'm from Limerick City so if you meet a guy from Limerick ask is he from the city - there can't be many of us Limerick City lads starting. I'll be asking the Waterford lads about boards too!!

Thanks again, EVERYONE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Folks, do you realise that by posting on here you are aiding your competitors*, this is a competition there are only so many places, and you are giving away your hints.

*well unless you are already in, then you are safe in talking

• Advertisement

Jasus raster thats a bit mean of ya!!!!

Wheres the love??

Is this the end of the garda fourm as we no it???

Wat will become of the new recruits who have bravely fought so hard and so long for the chance to be slagged and jeared by every scumbag in Ireland???

Will they stick it out or will they run home crying to mama???

Will the two hour que for meals pi** them right off and cause them to say "fcuk that im outta here"?

Will the tight hair cuts and speedo's cause them to become so self concious that they write a note each swim class saying that they are not allowed in the water for medical reasons??

Who knows he answer who has the answers who will give us the answers...........................will YOU??

foregone and oceallachain, would it not just make more sense to pm each other with your names and what you look like or something along those lines? so you know who to look for instead of going around asking people?

as for the speedos, even though i am really pissed that i didnt get in, i am glad that i won't have to be seen wearing speedos any time soon.

O THE SPEEDOS O HOW BAD O HOW SO SO SO SO SO BAD.But the piss takes.
    great later in the locker room. :)

By the way lads, slag all you can as there will be a lot of it in the job and remember that its only fun!

Best of luck lads on your first day!
    Enjoy the student life ..cos theres a whole lotta work to be done when you hit the streets!

Keep safe...and thanks for all the tips/advice..much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Well lads, its been fun. Good luck and keep us posted. Have my medical in 6 weeks. Here's hoping.

Hope to see y'all soon

NH

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

deputydugs wrote:
    U Start at 09:00 Monday to Thursday half day on Wen you finish at 14!

Just a question on this.
    I live about 50 mins from the college. Is it possible to go home each evening and come back at 23:00 clock back in. I'm getting married this year and she'd definately appreciate the time spent at home. Its better than a full 22 weeks away. (I know weekends etc, but every bit helps when you have 5 months to the wedding......)

Especially the Wednesday. Get home, relax etc and back late that night????

Thanks,
    NH

NeverHappy wrote:
    Just a question on this.
    I live about 50 mins from the college. Is it possible to go home each evening and come back at 23:00 clock back in. I'm getting married this year and she'd definately appreciate the time spent at home. Its better than a full 22 weeks away. (I know weekends etc, but every bit helps when you have 5 months to the wedding......)

Especially the Wednesday. Get home, relax etc and back late that night????

Thanks,
    NH

Em not a flying pigs chance, but however if they tell you that you are living out then it might be worth your while .chance your arm. But sunday night till friday at 16:00 your arse is theirs. YOU CANT GO HOME while their unless you are living out which will not be at least utill you have been there a while.

BUT YOU CAN BREAK THE RULES (Ure own risk,you may lose your job before you get a chance to enjoy it)

Maybe.............at 17:00.....hop in your car...drive home and ask the lads to cover for you and drive in the gate in the morning......but ITS A BIG RISK and you are going in to the garda college ....so .........we are gards you know....high risk of being caught.

O ya........5 months 2 the big day....... and six months in templemore and then say good by to home as you will be more then 50 miles from it in phase 2 and more like 100miles.You may get 2 days off but i dont think you will get much more unless you write a half sheet and explain and even then they will say you cant get more the 2 days off unless you are sick or there is a family death.....Bad time to get married but is there ever a good one. :D only joking best of luck with it but i must say bad timin

deputydugs wrote:
    Em not a flying pigs chance, but however if they tell you that you are living out then it might be worth your while .chance your arm. But sunday night till friday at 16:00 your arse is theirs. YOU CANT GO HOME while their unless you are living out which will not be at least utill you have been there a while.

BUT YOU CAN BREAK THE RULES (Ure own risk,you may lose your job before you get a chance to enjoy it)

Maybe.............at 17:00.....hop in your car...drive home and ask the lads to cover for you and drive in the gate in the morning......but ITS A BIG RISK and you are going in to the garda college ....so .........we are gards you know....high risk of being caught.

O ya........5 months 2 the big day....... and six months in templemore and then say good by to home as you will be more then 50 miles from it in phase 2 and more like 100miles.You may get 2 days off but i dont think you will get much more unless you write a half sheet and explain and even then they will say you cant get more the 2 days off unless you are sick or there is a family death.....Bad time to get married but is there ever a good one. :D only joking best of luck with it but i must say bad timin

O YA I Said you have a half day mid week. You do FROM CLASS...YOU have to play sport till 5. Going home and relaxin is not goin to happen unless you know someone high up. and just becasue you are getting married wont work as there are people down there with 3-5 kids and are married and they have to put up with the monday 08:30 till friday at 16:00 and you arnt married yet so sunday at 23:30 will apply to you. SORRY TO INFORM YOU OF THIS, but if you think its going to be easy, im afraid it wont be, but get a bill phone as you will be talking to her more than seeing her. ASK HER TO move down and get a flat is my advise but if your getting married the she should wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Best of luck to everyone who started today, hope it's all going well for ya :D

yeah, i hope today was a good laugh for you all.
    i can't wait till the weekend when we get to hear what it was like.
    when do you reckon you get to start driving the cars with the lights and sirens going? lol.

I'm off to meet the local Sarge this weekend for some form fillin...4 weeks to interview!!

Anything I'm forgettin to bring?
    Names, addresses, d.o.b's, workplaces for
    Parents
    Brothers/sisters
    Aunts +Uncles (plus their partners??)

RSI number
    Copy of all the forms submitted to P.A.S.(so I can confirm dates of jobs/ qualifications etc).

I hope I got the Sarge on a bad day... sounded very grumpy ;-)

yeah thats all.
    just try and make it as neat as possible. mine was all messy and i had to tipex loads of bits.

good luck in 4 weeks.

Mc G i think you need some passport photos too..........i think i had to bring some down wit me!!!!

Thanks guys ...forewarned and all that!
    Looking forward to the interview at this stage..... get it over and done with!

• Advertisement

yeah, sorru u need photos too.
    my sergeant forgot to tell me to bring mine though, so you can always drop them in the next day if you forget to bring them.

Any idea how many photos ??
    ... the guy who called me sounded well pi##ed off grunted that I should bring my Rsi number and family details.

2 photos.
    my sergeant sounded the same, although i didnt speak to him on the phone, my mum said he was really rude, and so did my mate, but when i met him he was the soundest guy ever.

When i was doin mine the sarg was alright he just left me to it!

Some other sarg came in and bored the ears off me bout the gardai in general nearly made me give up and go!!he was so old fashioned lol

But i didnt so its all good!!!!

the guy i had was bang on, but wouldn't stop talking. i was there from 8 pm till midnight, but it was interesting talking to him and the other gards in the station.

Yeah had that aswell in a small little room and the heatin was up full nearly fell asleep!!

Its all good but oh the stories oh the wonderful stories they have!!!

Hopefully I just got him after a bad day on the job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

Just met the superintendent today. Was only about ten minutes though. Seemed to go well. Just wondering, for those of you who done the interview how long should I be waiting to do it once I've met the superintendent? I was only told " sometime in May" I'm a little worried I don't have the exact date since people who are after me e.g McGuiver seem to know theirs. The Superintendent seemed suprised I didn't know when it was. I cam 1050 btw.

PS Nice avatar ShinyDiscoBall, :p come on venom!

That sounds dodgy Snakeater... I think a call to the P.A.S. people would be in order.
    Judging by your ranking I'd guess your due for interview pretty soon, so You should have been given a date to have your forms back to P.A.S. etc. by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lilolil

Never Happy - how do you know or when were you given a date for your medical?? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement