Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Griffen wrote:
    Hi all!

Anyone get any word over the weekend??

Nothing here anyway. I'd expecting it will be closer to the end of month before I hear anything considering I didn't do my Interview till the 29th March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

nope still no news. im about to ring the garda appointments office now and see if they have any news.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

I just spoke to the Good Garda Monaghan in Garda HQ who informed me that I was successful in my Interview stage and I'm called for a medical next tuesday morning with a view to starting in Templemore on May 3rd but now I have 2 questions.

1) Can you fail the medical for being overweight? and if you can is that it? or do you get a chance to lose weight and be tested again?

2) How do you defer and is it possible with our group?

Cheers,
    dv

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

dvoakes wrote:
    I just spoke to the Good Garda Monaghan in Garda HQ who informed me that I was successful in my Interview stage and I'm called for a medical next tuesday morning with a view to starting in Templemore on May 3rd but now I have 2 questions.

1) Can you fail the medical for being overweight? and if you can is that it? or do you get a chance to lose weight and be tested again?

Cheers,
    dv

Hey dv,

Congrats on passing the interview. Not sure about your questions, im sure the other experts will let u know shortly enough! I think you have to have a BMI of under 25, but i suppose it depends on your height and how physically active you are.

Just wondering, did you contact that Garda to find out or did they ring you? When did you have your interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

dvoakes
    1) Can you fail the medical for being overweight?
    YES you can
    and if you can is that it? or do you get a chance to lose weight and be tested again?
    you WILL get the chance to repeat the medical unless you suffer with something irreversible (which being overweight is not)
    You defer by writing to the AC of Human Resources. Whether or not you will be able to depends entirely on the commissioner and there is no definite clear stance on this issue but anyone I know who requested it was granted a deferral.

• Advertisement

Griffen wrote:
    Just wondering, did you contact that Garda to find out or did they ring you? When did you have your interview?

Thanks Grifeen. They rang me, well no they rang my mobile I didn't answer but they didn't leave a message, they rang my house and got my father who gave them my work number, they also told him everything that they told me so in effect he knew before I did. I reckon i'm going to fail it on being overweight although my weight has never cause me a problem before I reckon i'm just "big boned" or a big fat f*ck one or the other. I hope I get the chance to repeat it but would I have passed the Interview if they thought I was overweight?

Sorry for rambling. It's not until next Tuesday morning anyway so I'll let ye know how it goes. I can't believe it because when I left the interview I did the usual thing of analyzing everything that went wrong in the Interview but obviously there was more on my side then against me.

Griffen wrote:
    When did you have your interview?

I had it on the 15th March at 12:15pm - worst 45 minutes of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

What I was told during my medical (last Wednesday) was that if you have poor vision you will be failed unless you undergo laser treatment soon after and present a certificate to the Gardai who will then mark you down as a pass. Being overweight however deems you as a fail. No second chances, according the Sergeant who was there on the day.

My build wasn't taken into account, just my BMI. I was fine however. If you're 6'1, you should weigh no more than 91 Kgs..If you do..It's based on BMI of no more than 25.

i'm 6'2 any idea what the acceptable BMI is so I can hit this gym harder then I've ever hit it for the next 7 nights?

sorry not BMI - any idea what the acceptable weight is?

• Advertisement

There's no more than a difference of 4 kilos between inches. That's according to the charts I was compared to anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,457 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dvoakes wrote:
    sorry not BMI - any idea what the acceptable weight is?

To calculate your Body Mass Index:

Weight in Kilograms divided by (height in metres squared)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 owler fasc

Hey=Congrats to those who are 'in'-I was called on Thurs and have my med on wed morning next week.My Brother did his med last week and passed,he is like me in that he is 6"3' and very fit yet his BMI came up as 25.4=this didn't seem to worry the people incharge too much-My BMI is 25.6 (According to the machine in Boots) but I am by no means even remotely overweight.I checked it out and its not very accurate for athletic people as it over-calculates your body fat(muscle is heavier than fat).

For those still waiting....hang in there.......they are really under pressure..hopefully ye will be called.........remember the Gov't has committed to having 2000 more at least in training by the next election so they need to get as many in asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

a friend of mine passed everything and failed outright on her weight,
    it was her fourth attempt and she didn't get a chance to re-apply,

she was gutted but the lady examinig her said there is nothing they can do.

did you hear anything yet detective?

re. laser eye surgery, if you fail solely on your eyes can you still get it provided you get the procedure done , it doesn't put you right back at the start?

DVOAKES:

Just looked at BMI tables.The max weight for a BMI of 25 given a 6"2' height is 194lbs

Shaz:

Is your friend obviously overweight or is she trim but 'big-boned'?

Jeeez........... :confused: i feel like I'm on one of those seedy chat sites.!!!!!!!!!

lol,
    and there are plenty of them!!!
    no was small but wouldnt say overweight she spent hours running a night trying to loose the weight,
    she was only a few pounds overwight it was awful it could have been all the extra runing and training she was doing turned the fat into muscle, which we all knows weighs way more than fat,

this is a big problem for girls as we have more body fat than guys,
    i know for myself i was overweight but lost over two stone so i could join,
    i was very active at the time and surprisingly i had to cut out all excersise so muscle could turn back to fat and i could lose it, very strange!!

My build wasn't taken into account, just my BMI. I was fine however. If you're 6'1, you should weigh no more than 91 Kgs..If you do..It's based on BMI of no more than 25.

the whole weight thing seems a bit odd to me.

you say that at 6'1'' you should be no more than 91 kg. but if you do weigh more than 91kg and are 6'1'' that you should have a bmi less than 25.

but if my calculations are correct, if you are 6'1'' and weight 91kg, you have a bmi of 26.4. So i'm not sure how you could possibly weigh more than 91kg and have a bmi of less than 25??

anyone have any ideas?

is it if you weigh more than 91 kg and are 6'1'' that you have to have a bmi of less than 25? or is it that if you are over 91kg at any height?

it def doesnt add up but i guess it is the gardai all the info is conflicting

well i was told for my height - 6'2.5'' i should be no more than 15 stone, but that gives me a bmi of over 25
    if i dont get in cuz of my weight ill never forgive myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 royal

Could the people how have sat their interview, give the rest of us some idea as to what questions were being asked by the interview panel. It would be great to know something of what was being asked. You guys will be in Templemore when the rest of us will be on the outside knowing nothing.

Cheers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

royal wrote:
    Could the people how have sat their interview, give the rest of us some idea as to what questions were being asked by the interview panel. It would be great to know something of what was being asked. You guys will be in Templemore when the rest of us will be on the outside knowing nothing.

Cheers guys.

Morning Royal,

During my interview I was asked about the experiences that I had written on the application form. You would also need to know 1/2 more for each different section. To be honest it shouldn't be that difficult to remember provided you had your homework done. I was also asked at the end of each of these experiences how each would relate to the role as a guard. Again do your homework on this one.

Part 5 is all about the Guard. I was asked why I wanted to be a Guard, a question I detest. I was asked about the different phases of becoming a Guard and about the different subjects that are studied whilst in Templemore. I was also asked what motivates and demotivates me.

I can think of nothing else for the moment. But for the first four parts the board do not deviate from the form at all. Basically it's all about you.

To be very honest, I didn't think the interview itself was extremely difficult provided you have your homework done (in my case I didn't). I have had more difficult interviews in my lifetime.

Hope this is of some help. Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

I've the physical tomorrow in Templemore anyone know how long it'll take, and anyone know if the train station is far from the Garda college?

Physical is tomorrow. If anything I'm looking forward to it (oddly - though it beats a day of work.).

I wasn't asked why I wanted to be a Guard..Though I prepared for it. I simply was going to say that from speaking with Gardai currently in the service, as well as from other research that I have done..I've found that the career of a Garda is varied and very exciting. I also wanted a career where I could do something for the community - a job with real 'rewards', so to speak.

Instead of being asked that, I was asked "What are the challenges facing the Gardai today?". I basically informed them that the world is constantly changing and the policing of that world requires to change with it. I also mentioned how the media has created a trend of dis-respect towards any law enforcement organisation and as a result it's become quite challenging for the Guards to establish strong relations with the community..

It know..you might roll your eyes at it but it must have impressed them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

well i was told for my height - 6'2.5'' i should be no more than 15 stone, but that gives me a bmi of over 25
    if i dont get in cuz of my weight ill never forgive myself.

Spoke to the recruitment office, they said that for my height I was overweight by about 4 lbs. A BMI of 27 seems to be around the mark. They did say that if you are over weight that you then fail and are out of consideration.

Maybe I can defer the medical, as I cant go in May anyway, too soon for work etc.(1 months notice). I dont see why not, from a cinical point of view, the main delays are at there end?????

Thats a real kick in the teeth, so close yet so far.
    But it is confirmed that overweight is an instant fail. They did however mention that you could state your case, ie just had a baby, broke my leg etc to see if that helps to explain a slight weight gain. But a lot overweight may be a problem. Sorry.

Hope that helps,
    NH

well i ****ed up my achilles tendon recently - by training too hard, and couldnt do anything really for about a month, so i might mention that, but i dont think/hope my weight should be a problem. [snipped] the gards say i have to be under 15. so i hope im ok. but i havent heard anything yet, so hopefully if i get good news i'll have a week or two to try and lose the half a stone.

anyone received the phonecall yet?
    i still havent heard a thing.
    the civil service are the biggest groups of **** ever.
    they say that the reason they are delaying sending out results is so that everyone gets them at the same time. - what a ****ing joke! people [snipped] who are doing the physical tomorrow, will be given official job offers, before some of us even hear if we passed the interview! i mean how backwards can you get! only with the civil service can you complete the entire recruitment process before you even have your results from the second stage of it.

the entire thing should have been done by the gardai as they seem to be the only people who have a clue as to what exactly is going on.

i was speaking to the gards yesterday, and they said that the reason they didnt have results for loads of people - myself included, was because "some interview boards were faster at tabulating the results" so basically because i was unfortunate enough to get a bunch of lazy pricks i have to wait for ages.

for the people who havent heard anything yet, what interview board were you on?
    [snipped]

also, never happy, i hope you are happy now and again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Its ridiculous the way there doin the results, from talkin to people at the medical last week at least half are looking to defer as they have college exams. Considering most people havent got their results yet i cant see how they'll have enough people for the May 3rd class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

Detective can you remember the names of the guards who interviewed you?

• Advertisement

the name of the garda superintendent who interview me was thadie "something-or-other" i think it was thadie o'donovan. not sure though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement