Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 royal

Anything is possible, although all the people who passed stage 1 in the last recrutiment process were given an interview how many that was in total i dont know. It is all down to the government when they want too pull the plug on interviews and form a new pool...If they pull it at 2,500 that means about 1,200 people will miss out.. if i hear any more will let you know...Its a waste of tax payers money and peoples time if they dont use the whole pool..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

but would it be a waste if people who did poorly in the aptitude test get jobs when others who didnt apply would be better,

Well the guys who did not apply should have, as the saying goes "if your not in you cant win". Well im 2,200 (out of 10600 who applyed) odd in the list and i dont think i did that poorly in the test.. ok did not make the first 765...but i deserve to get an interview at least and the other 1,700 behind as well. i would not depend on aptitude test,they dont tell you every thing about a person.

oh i agree. aptitude tests are very poor for grading people.
    as are interviews, but it's the way it is done.
    i guarantee you some of the best possible gards ever never become one because of poor aptitude and interview results. but there is nothing that can be done about it.
    and yes you do deserve an interview, however people placed 2,500 upwards may not.
    It is just a rumour i heard, not sure if there is any truth behind it.
    best of luck with your interview though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 VILLIAN

Yes I agree with Royal. Like you Detective, have you already had an interview. Did you pass?? And if you did have an interview you got that chance, so I thiink other people deserve that chance also. I am placed past the 2500 mark just 100 above it, so hopefully I will get an opportunity. I agree with Royal. I feel I did well out of 11,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Patience

when returning education information, is the parchement of results necessary or are transcripts sufficient?

For any of the old school people who used to post here, just letting you know that i passed the Initial Selection Test For The PSNI and have the interview soon. so fingers crossed it'll go as well as it did last time.
    hope you are all enjoying templemore, talk to you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Patience

does not anyone know how many people are being recruited out of this campaign? How long will panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I think it's posted somewhere...way back on this thread..., somewhere around 1100?? if not it's definitely on minister Mc Dowells Website in his speech to recruits in Templemore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 daisydawn

Ya i think they are taking in 275 every 3 months. but i know someone placed at almost 500 and they are in the college already so obviously alot of people are either changing their minds about joining or are failing stage 2 and 3.

I think its just wait and see, it's really a numbers game.
    So many dont turn up for interview or have the basic leaving cert results etc. Others get the call and then decide not to join or want to defer!!

I just got the call to go meet my Super for a chat this weekend, and 2 of my referees have been in contact to say that the Gardai had made enquiries about me... the general feeling is that they are under pressure to get bodies down to Templemore in a hurry.

Patience its 1100 this year, next year 1100 and the final year 1040 if i recall right, detective well done in passing stage 1 of the PSNI test was it any way like the tests we sat in jan for the guards..mcguiver best of luck and keep us posted..just a quick question on FormA Part2 Question 1-4 is it only one example they want per question (just that it is broken into a,b and c.) and 3 or 4 examples on standby in your head.

mcguiver wrote:
    So many dont turn up for interview or have the basic leaving cert results etc. Others get the call and then decide not to join or want to defer!!

What happens when people fill out all the form and then dont turn up to interview. would the garda board just accept this?

I'd assume if you don't show for the interview they assume your not interested.

On the form question Royal, it's one example in each...but they may ask for others on the day.
    It says on the notes "For each of your examples, please include the following:"

(a)the background to the situation
    (b)what you actually did using the skill in question & why
    (c)how it worked out.

thats why those boxes have the a,b, and c in them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I was 1100 in list and I got an interview on July 8th. I am surprised.

Whats the form from now. I must fill out the stuff in the letter? Whats this I hear about a home check from the local super. No mention of garda involment in the letter, is this pre or post interview?

• Advertisement

007, not wishing to be smart, but if intend to go to the interview it would be a good idea to if you fill them out if they are the forms for stage 2 process! Also just check back on the postings(pages 20-30) they should give you a good idea on the whole process. You got your interview on 8th July??? things dont seem to be matching there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Bond-007 wrote:
    I was 1100 in list and I got an interview on July 8th. I am surprised.

I was placed 1250 on the list and I have my interview first week of june !!

psni was fairly similar, had the "true, false, cannot tell" then it had a section involving different tables of info. quite hard to explain

rang them up about me being away when they scheduled my interview for, and i got it moved forward, so i have it next week. i can't wait.

i really dont want my current employer to know that im going for the interview. is there a chance that they might ring him.

just to add to that post is it the local gardai would do the background check about you cos mine would know me quite well as im from a small area or is it the interview board up in dublin would do it? Thanks

• Advertisement

I was asked if they could contact my current employer... and of course I said no!! They contacted previous employers...and it was the local station who did it!

It sounds like they just confirm your work record...one previous employer they rang on his mobile, he told me they just asked how long I'd been there, why I left, what his opinion of me was etc.... (he rang me afterwards to wish me luck!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Poitiers

Is anyone else waiting on the medical ? Heard I passed stage two nearly a month ago but still waiting ....

Detective --- good luck with PSNI

Good luck to all have interviews coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

daisydawn wrote:
    just to add to that post is it the local gardai would do the background check about you cos mine would know me quite well as im from a small area or is it the interview board up in dublin would do it? Thanks

Local station does a check on you from a Garda point of view, ie police record, involvement in org. crime etc.
    The PSA does a check on you from a govt point of view, might be things like credit history, employment related issues etc.

NH

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Poitiers wrote:
    Is anyone else waiting on the medical ? Heard I passed stage two nearly a month ago but still waiting ....

Detective --- good luck with PSNI

Good luck to all have interviews coming up

I reckon the medicals will start again when the next batch of interviews are done. Theres no hurry really as the next intake is not until August. We got so used to rushing everyrthing for the May intake, now were back to Civil Service pace........

NH

Had my chat with the Super yesterday... all went well. A good hour of chatting about the job, what to expect at the interview etc. counting down the days to the interview now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Good luck with the PSNI, Detective. Hopefully it will be what you want it to be.

You'll be attested before us; and earn more than us.

Sounds pretty good.

well lets see how interview goes first, and i may be attested before, and earn more, but i won't be able to live near home or tell anyone what i do. or be able to walk around while off duty in anything that might point me out as a cop.
    but we'll see.
    hope you're having a good time down in templemore. I hear you are all getting the new uniforms. its about time. i mean they have been around since 2003.
    and re attestation, keep an eye out for any psni officers at it, i might make an appearance.

talk to ya soon.

Never happy ---- you doing anything different to prepare for medical ?

How would it work out as I live a mere 7 miles from Templemore and I am a married man, would any special arrangements be made, ie be allowed to live at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

The fact that you are a married man will mean that you don't have to back before 2330 Sunday night. Instead you have to be back at 0800 on Monday morning. I know a guy from Borrisoleigh which is quit close to templemore and he resides in the college because he has to. Having said that i don't know if he is married. He's old enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

deputydugs wrote:
    YO! POITIERS

If u get in.......get off your fat ass and help someone, but until you get in GO F**K OFF and untill you pass out GO TAKE A BIG FLYING F*UCK,

And yes I have good days and yes I have bad ones, but as for now I dont really give a S**T anymore..............and are you blind I dont have a "O" in my nickname

And as for helping, my good deeds are done for this year :mad: .................

(As I take a break I will Edit this, I may answer PM for people who are stuck and by stuck I mean information that is not already on this site, I will not be answering questions such as "What is it like to be a guard" and "What is the college like" / "Whats being on the beat like" / "Do I get speeding tickets" I am afraid you willl only find these out when and if you become a member of an garda siochana. Keep in mind the answers I have already posted should not have been posted as it is really up to new students to find out when they get in and not before and it has been this way for years, this is why you will find no websites containing information that I have posted and also sent out by PM for which I have got bomb barded or should I say nuked with and answered all of them. For people who do not like my answers well all I can say is ********.
    I am not a B**TARD but, however I will tell you what I think!. And believe it or believe it not I am a friendly garda who has great time for the public and will even spoil the old ticket if a person is nice about it or give them another if they start to shout at me, but as I said above, Thanks to POITIERS very good idea of me being on a high horse I will let it up to him to get all the information that other people will need from now on, as he is after getting past the big STAGE2 and knows all there is to know. So my days of posting on this public board are over! Ask that "prick" (he likes that word) POITIERS or better yet Nuke him with PM,s as I am sure he can answer them...me tinks he is a chief super in those wet dreams!(That smart enough for you POITIERS) cause if I was a real ass hole I would insult you to high heavens but hell,......

By the way LOUC that PM should answer most of what you need to know and I forgot to say that my best guess would mayb late September. Really cant say!

Best of luck to all :) ..............Deputydugs out! :D

OK........ this is a good example of stayin calm and not losing it
    Its alright theres about 12000 Gardai out there to get advice from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

hi guys, just to let ye know that i passed stage two, am in total shock at moment!!

Well done Shaz!! When did you do your interview??

fair play to ya

Fair comment Sarah B

Where u from anyways ?

do ye or did ye smoke ? Cos I love fags ! and i've been off them 99% since the letter informing me I passed stage 2. I went and had a medical from my own doctor incase there was something obvious that I needed to work on.

I haven't been watching my diet and my exercise is very infrequent.

I'm 5 11 and 12 1/2 stone. The doc said that is perfect but I dunno how the guards do things. Can anyone tell me if they were told at the medical ?

Help !

From your stats that you gave just there you seem to be fine. A lot of folks who start in templemore aren't fit. Theres quite a variation up there. You could have an All-Ireland Champ running alongside a couch potato and the instructors know this.
    Many people smoke in Templemore - it's actually disgusting to see but that's just my own biased opinion (I hate fags).

I'm really concerned about how people are petrified with regard to their own personal fitness but only because of the Garda recruitment authorities. I mean even if you were never going for the Gards would it still not be a great idea to be as fit as you can be? There's more benefits of being fit other than to impress the gards boys and girls.

Well done for passing Sharon and best of luck to everone else.

well done shaz, you deserve it. hope the medical and physical go well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chief Piggum

I know I'm probably butting in here, but I've been reading over previous mesages pertaining to the garda apptitude test. Firstly I want to thank you all for some priceless info and commend people who have unfortunately failed to proceed past stage 2 for there continued posting. I myself have my interview on June 10th, and to be honest I'm crapping myself. Like you all I want it so bad that it'll probably hinder my progress. i have one question I hope you can help me with, I am wondering should I mention using the Kilroy college package or is it frowned upon. Any replys would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

It doesn't reflect badly at all. Lots of people said they done the course and they are studying in Templemore with me. It is neither frowned upon for not doing it or doing it.

I was advised not to mention any course that i have done. I went to a guy in skibb., co. cork for help in 2003. I don't really know though. I figure that they don't want conditioned people at interview ---- told what to say and what to write down and what not. Guess it depends on who is interviewing you. someone might see it as you have made the extra effort and they know loads and loads of people do it but on the other hand it might bite you on the ass.

I'd say don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

If they ask you how you prepared for the interview, you could say that you did a general course on aptitude tests and interview skills, it really depends on who interviews you, youll just have to see what theyre like

Is it 3 copies and the original form? Do they need 4 pictures in all?

Also do periods of umemployment form an adverse inference for the panel. How strict are they, do they need to know about crap jobs you stayed a month in?

No you don't need any copies which differs from previous years.

Poitiers wrote:
    No you don't need any copies which differs from previous years.
    The letter says 3 copies.

• Advertisement

yeah it you need to include 3 copies.
    re 4 pictures, print off/fill in original. staple on photo and photocopy 3 times. so only 1 photo needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chief Piggum

I know I'm probably butting in here, but I've been reading over previous mesages pertaining to the garda apptitude test. Firstly I want to thank you all for some priceless info and commend people who have unfortunately failed to proceed past stage 2 for there continued posting. I myself have my interview on June 10th, and to be honest I'm crapping myself. Like you all I want it so bad that it'll probably hinder my progress. i have one question I hope you can help me with, I am wondering should I mention using the Kilroy college package or is it frowned upon. Any replys would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for the feedback folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

Guys,

I really don't think it will affect your chances if you tell them you went for mock interviews, kilroy course etc. I told them that I had 2 mock interviews in the run up to it and it didnt seem to phase them. And they mustn't have read too much into it cos I'm starting in Templemore in August!

Honestly the interview boards can be tough, they will usually try pick holes in some of your answers but the main thing they are looking for is a strong attitude, last thing they want to see is you backing down from an answer and changing your mind.

Rgds
    TH

cheers all i am over the moon but trying to stay grounded as i know people fail the medical and physical, i went to my doc and i am healthy out and my weight is perfect for it (at last),
    i am running now for 2-3 miles every night so hopefully!!

i did my interview start of may think was 3rd.

Poitiers wrote:
    I was advised not to mention any course that i have done. I went to a guy in skibb., co. cork for help in 2003.

I'd say don't.

hi was that eamonn nealon u did the course with? where in cork u from

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement