Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Times ticking on... interview next week!

Deputy... did you mention way back that you had lazer treatment on the eyes?? I went for an eye test at the weekend, seems I'm borderline on the requirements...might need to have an eye done!

Had a good chat with two Gardai who pulled me in last night ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

What are everyone's views on the post office raid/garda shooting??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

anyone get any news yet on the medical?
    i would say they have to be soon as this lot of interviews for the august intake are over as of yesterday,

i am watching my phone like a hawk just in case!! i wonder will these be done in the order of merit of in order of the date yo had your interview!!

some of ye have been waiting since last month, ye must be sick now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What are everyone's views on the post office raid/garda shooting??

Check this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260570&page=1

Not your ornery onager

mcguiver wrote:
    Times ticking on... interview next week!

Deputy... did you mention way back that you had lazer treatment on the eyes?? I went for an eye test at the weekend, seems I'm borderline on the requirements...might need to have an eye done!

Had a good chat with two Gardai who pulled me in last night ;-)

?? thats sounds a bit suss!! lol,

i got laser eye done about 3 weeks ago as i was way below the standard but now i can see perfect.
    i got epi lasek done as with the lasik they cut a flap and this remains a flap forever and in our line of work this could be a bit risky! with blows to the face etc, it was the best thing i ever did.

best of luck with your interview, what board number do you have!

"i would say they have to be soon as this lot of interviews for the august intake are over as of yesterday"

Where did ya hear that ? My interview is Thursday, and I got the impression that was for the August intake???

Interview boards is number 38.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

The medicals are in mid-late June...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Poitiers

Hi Sarah B ---- how do you know that ??

Shaz ---- yeah that's the man alright ---- nice oul fella

from the city .... where u from ? Jeseus you're after scaring me jogging everynight --- starting tonight. The doc says my weight is perfect but I need to loose my Murphy's belly !!

Shaz how old are you, if you don't mind me asking.

If the medicals are mid/late June, then judging on the last batch my guess is....
    Those interviewed late May, early June, get notified 2 weeks after their interview of pass/fail, then about a weeks notice for medical, Physical within a week of that, final result 1st week july.

Any of the last batch care to confirm my theory (i'm using Forgone's posts dates as my guide).

Appointment with eye clinic tomorrow for lazer treatment...see how the interview goes, then get it done if I feel I did well ;-)

mcguiver wrote:
    If the medicals are mid/late June, then judging on the last batch my guess is....
    Those interviewed late May, early June, get notified 2 weeks after their interview of pass/fail, then about a weeks notice for medical, Physical within a week of that, final result 1st week july.

Any of the last batch care to confirm my theory (i'm using Forgone's posts dates as my guide).

Appointment with eye clinic tomorrow for lazer treatment...see how the interview goes, then get it done if I feel I did well ;-)

Yeah id say if you passed the interview, medical and physical you'd be going to templemore in August, theres 275 places so i dont see why you'd have to wait until october to go, theyre interviewing 3000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭tophurler

They are taking in 275 on the 2nd of August into templemore, however the overflow of people who were unable to start in May and deferred until August will cut that down a fair bit. I had my physical on a Friday and all of the 25 who got in had to take August as May was full. A mate of mine attended the physical on the Monday of the same week and some of them were given the option of going in either May or waiting till August, I believe they filled May's allocation early that week.

Theres still 170 places left over

Where people told on the day of their physical when they were starting ??

You are told what batch you are in if your successful alright, i didnt know what date though until the letter was sent out.

PS letter also mentions that you need 400 euro to buy stuff as soon as ya get over there, 400 euro seems steep for what you get.

what do u get exactly, i know this has beeen touched on on previous posts but just to give us impatient people something to think about!!
    lol

also what is the story with what u were down there?
    do we buy tracksuits down there and get them straight away or do we wait??

one more question, were any of ye totally up in air after the results!!

i dont know what to think, the interview i passed so all now is medical and physical,
    i cant see how i could fail these as i am healthy,
    in the right weight,
    just got my eyes fixed a month ago and am reasonably fit!

but the fear of failing at this late stage is worse than at interview, so near and yet so far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 newstudent1

I think you have to wear a suit while you are waiting on a uniform.
    And I think the €400 is for tracksuits, swim clothes etc .. I presume these are also uniform ones?

Hey Shaz,
    How sooon after your eye treatment did your eyesight improve ??

Yea the 400 yo yos is for tracksuit, swimwear, flip flops, etc., tbh myself and a friend thought about it and 400 euro seems to be alot for what we are getting. The suit is worn until the uniform is given to us.

Shaz, the medical is fine, as for the physical - only one person failed the day i went, 25 outta 26 got through, the reason the girl failed was the push/pull machine, she was pretty dizzy after the obstacle course and they gave her loadsa time to recover but she didnt push/pull enough.

My advice is to run the course at a steady enough pace to complete it in under 3 mins (very attainable), this gives you a 10% compensation on the push pull machine i.e. need to push 22.5 instead of 25. One girl got through one that method when I was there.

TH

• Advertisement

Do you have to be fairly fit to do the physical or is it testing your strength more? I was looking at the demo on the Garda web and I thought it focused more on strength maybe im wrong..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I looked at that demo on the website a while back, is it still in RealPlayer format, streaming? It's a pity it isn't available in QuickTime and downloadable.

Stupid question, do you need a driving licence upon applying?

nope u don'y need a driving licence.
    re. the tracksuits and uniform.
    you all wear your suits at first, then when the uniforms start arriving, who ever has a uniform wears it, and the rest wear the tracksuit.
    because they are now issuing the new uniform it is taking a while for the current phase to get them.you have to be measured and have your details sent up north where the uniforms are made.

Talking about up north, was just up in belfast doing the interview for the PSNI, it seemed to go well, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i got in, will let you know when i get the results.

Detective, did you do a Garda Interview?? Was there a difference between the two???

Sarahb, its not so much your fitness as testing your stamina. Tbh you only run for a few steps at a time (bar the final sprint) before you hit the next obstacle. The most important thing i found was to pace yourself so you werent totally knackered when the push/pull part came. The guy who does the push/pull machine is great though, really motivates you as he stands beside you shouting encouragement.

TH

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Poitiers

I don't want to come be a langer or anything but all the praise for deputydugs should be thrown out the window.

JUST WANT YE TO SEE WHAT HE IS REALLY LIKE AND HOPE YE WILL ALL QUESTION THE FACT THAT THIS PERSON CLAIMS TO BE A MMBER OF THE GARDAI ---- I THINK NOT. A GARDA WOULD NEVER COMROMISE HIMSELF LIKE THAT

THE FOLLOWING IS 2 PRIVATE MESSAGES SENT TO ME BY HIM / HER

HERE ARE THE PMS ....

Calm my hole

Want to see clam and level heading have a look at the may day riots!

What the hell to you think this job is, you put up with **** from people from day to day and get **** all thanks for it but I joined up to help people so wanna b **** ups like you do piss me off.

I am very calm but someting tells me that if I ran into you in real life I would have to to take my batton and smack you on the back of your neck with it you ****.

NOW GO ****ING GET ANSWERS TO THE NEW GUYS QUESTIONS AND THEN COME BACK TO ME. IN FACT GO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS that people my have on boards.ie and that may help.

Just prooves my pointCalm my hole
    Well hows the prick  Now that you have pissed me off, go get another garda to answer the public posts for all those people who had good questions.student or probation gardai dont count so on the off chance you do get in THATS U out for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

can anyone give me any tips on completing the written report exercise ? Whats the time frame involved for each part ?

• Advertisement

top hurler, yeah i did the garda interview too, but didnt pass it.
    they are completely different.
    the PSNI is 3 different role plays, a situational interview and a written test.
    there is as such no interview, it is just role plays of situations and you have to deal with the situation.
    imo it was a much better/fairer method of assesment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 royal

Guys those between 1262 and 1837 will be interviewed between now and July, so the PAS say.

best of luck for tomorrow, mcguiver

Good Luck

mcguiver wrote:
    Hey Shaz,
    How sooon after your eye treatment did your eyesight improve ??

hey first of all best of luck tomorrow. only advice ican give you is be yourself, my friend said that to me going in and it worked, dont lie at all because they will catch you out!!
    but best of luck, let us know asap how you get on

re: LASER

the minute they finished the operation and i managed to peel open my eyes i could see.
    now it was a bit hazy and in the first few days i was a bit long sighted, computers, text messages were out!!
    but after about 4 - 5 days this passed and i could see- so about a week but everyone is different,
    :cool:
    i also got epi lasek done not lasik-which is not recommended for people with jobs likes ours will be!!
    at least is only one eye yo need to get done,

• Advertisement

tophurler wrote:

Shaz, the medical is fine, as for the physical - only one person failed the day i went, 25 outta 26 got through, the reason the girl failed was the push/pull machine, she was pretty dizzy after the obstacle course and they gave her loadsa time to recover but she didnt push/pull enough.

My advice is to run the course at a steady enough pace to complete it in under 3 mins (very attainable), this gives you a 10% compensation on the push pull machine i.e. need to push 22.5 instead of 25. One girl got through one that method when I was there.

TH

cheers for the advice,

also, has anyone who has passed the interview been called for medical yet?

Detective did u have a super called thadie interviewing u i had him aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Patience

Hey just wondering as to whether everyone who passed the apptitude get an interview? or is there a certain number they are going to interview?

Well done, did they ask you about your skills sets in what you had written on the forms, or did you use back up questions to explain. How many were on the panel and which asked the most questions and did they stick any nasty questions in to see how you cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mcguiver wrote:
    . for instance asked when a Garda would have to persuade others..I said when they arrive at the scene of any incident they would have to take control, restrain suspects if needed, organise witness's emergency services if required etc. The questioner then asked pretty roughly "what scene was this ??" I'm not sure if they hadnt understood, or were just looking for a reaction!!

I actually think it was you that misunderstood the question. Restraining suspects is not persuading people.

Talking some drunken idiot on the street into going home and getting some sleep would be.

His responce made sense in my mind. Your answer didn't seem to show you understood what persuade meant, or that you had some idea that guards only deal with criminal activity. They don't. They keep the peace as well, which is a very different thing.

Just my 2c.

mcguiver wrote:
    My bad...I think her actual question was along the lines of give an instance where a garda would have to take control and persuade others.. hence the answer.... the question "what scene was this?" seemed out of place,
    I went on to give examples of persuading others to calm down, tell their side of the story and so on ....but sure it's anyone's guess what angle they were coming from. It may have been a misunderstanding in either direction or a way of throwing a curveball to get a see if I'd react wrongly...hard to know, we'll have to wait and see ;-)

And of course your right criminal activity is only one area of a Garda's role... but I'm sure they picked up that I knew that from my background of working alongside the Gardai in the past as well as the joint training courses I've done with them.

I wasn't trying to pigeon hole you specifically, I was just taking the words at face value and thinking about them. It's never that simple, and the "odd" question could be a result of a series of answers etc.

I don't know what they were looking for. I just know how I'd react/read your answer if you know what I mean?

My thinking is this: (and bearing in mind this is me just working from the quotes you gave, and i'm ignoring everything else) (IOW don't take this personally or as an attack, it's not meant that way, I'm doing the whole devil's advocate thing ;))

Your immediate answer could be interpreted in many ways. The question of "what scene is this?" is one where they are trying to discern what you meant.

Think of it this way. Your answer could mean a large number of things because you didn't have a "situation" in which to judge, you were given a general question and gave a vague answer. They wanted examples of "persuasion".

The reason they need to ask what "scene" it is, is because you could imagine that arresting people is the first thing to do at a scene where there are a number of drunken people who are making a lot of noise, for example. This would obviously be wrong etc, but because you didn't give an example of what kind of scene this is, they cannot rule out that you think this way.

They need to be sure that you don't think that arresting people is what a garda should do when arriving at every scene/situation. Obviously someone who thought like this would make a terrible garda for many reasons.

I'm not saying that you did, and I'm not saying that they thought you did, it's just that they need to be 100% sure that you don't think like this! Can you imagine a person who thought like the above being made a garda? It'd be a real mess.

I'm sure you that you following answers reassured them that you did not think that arresting people was the only starting point to gardai arriving at a "scene". It's just they needed to be sure. It's their job to spot the people whose "thinking" is not suitable for the gardai. This needs to be done.

Can you imagine the mayhem if someone was made a garda and their immediate reaction to everything was to arrest someone??? It'd be madness!
    Does that make sense?

(Bear in mind that I could be totally wrong here. This is just my take on this, and it's a hell of a lot of conjecture from 2 lines of dialogue. But I'm generally good at this kind of thing ;))

Nesf,
    way too much thought went into that reply to my off the cuff ramblings... I'm impressed.
    All good constructive points and well made.
    Wish I'd had you along for my report writing exercise... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 VILLIAN

What is the story with interviews. What number are they at present. I am in the high 2000's. Anyone in my position......?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

This thread just got a mention on Today FM/Ray Darcy show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, there are threads that are way bigger than this, such as the 'what are you listening to now' threads on the music boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

if you have something to say about someone, then do it in a personal message,.
    this is not a soapbox for your opinions.

the only opinions that count around here, are mine, so pipe down rubber duck and post if you want to be useful, and not otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

u serious? thats pretty cool. what were they saying about it?

"Fix It Friday" had some questions about joining up and Ray said that Boards.ie had a bhuge thread full of really usefull info.

yeah, thadie, i think his surname was muldoon?? i thought he was sound, but obviously he didnt think the same of me. did you have the female civil servant chairwoman? if so, can you remember her name?

Ye thadie Muldoon, I had a male chairman but the female civil servant was writing, her name was rhoma corcoran or something like that. they all had unusual names

what did you think of thadie?
    i thought he was fairly sound. he only asked the question about a career in the gards. the chairwoman did the rest of the speaking.

Yeah I thought he was sound enough aswell hes was a bit sarcastic, but then again I might fail it...... its hard to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Detective
    yeah, thadie, i think his surname was muldoon?? i thought he was sound, but obviously he didnt think the same of me. did you have the female civil servant chairwoman? if so, can you remember her name?

sarahb wrote:
    Ye thadie Muldoon, I had a male chairman but the female civil servant was writing, her name was rhoma corcoran or something like that. they all had unusual names

Seeing as we are naming names, did anyone ever meet a 'Detective' called ****? May also go by the name of ****? I believe he has a lot of contacts in the force, and is very free with sensitive information.

Edit: Play nice. -nesf

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

Yo! Poitiers

Sending me a PM saying "Kiss my ass" dont work on me, it just made me laugh when I looked at it and made me laugh more when I looked at the post you put up about me.

You seem to have a vendetta or some kind of obsession with me?

Can't you see these posts are ment to help people!.

The reason I am posting this is becasue the public viewers can see and and I am not letting you say that I sent you with a PM saying what a prick you really are. Jesus man go for another job. You will find yourself all alone in the gardai if you keep up the complete horse manor that you have started.

You dont seem to understand that your personality will come out in the job no matter what you do and it seems to me that you will be one of those persons who no1 will want to take a meal break with, never mind have you as an observer. And sending me a PM after nobody replied to your childish post proves my point.

GET OVER ME MAN, ITS OVER, It was great while it lasted, but we will always have reno, sniff sniff, we will always be freinds deep deep down!

Anyhow this does not mean I will be posting again but my PMs sent out to those questions that have been asked will continue to go on even if I am heart broken over pointers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

My Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont Break A Golden Rule And Start Putting Peoples Real Names On This Site..

What Did I Say On Some Of My Posts.A Lot Of This Information Is Not Ment To Be On It.

Dont Go F.U.C.King Things Up!

This Applies To All People Posting

All it takes is ONE inspectors name to be given or even a civil servents and a report will go in and boards.ie will get a letter telling them to dump this thread and all that it contains.

Please, take more caution when putting on a post, remember you IP address is logged with your nickname and for all those of you who are wannab guards or for the students (STUDENTS OR ANY OTHER GUARDS THAT ARE HELPING OUT) on the site you may find yourself without a job, mainly the students remember that contract you signed on day 2 and for us guards we will be shafted if they decide to ivestigate names on this post and I do not want a desk job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies, pipe down and go get some maturity. I believe they are selling cheap over at Teen Ireland.

Take your personal **** with each other to PMs, don't air it here.

Next person who posts on this thread attacking another poster, regardless of reason, gets a ban. M'kay?

• Advertisement

thank you.
    any chance you could remove the name of the garda who interviewed me too.
    it was unfair of me to name him, and i have removed his name from my posts, so if you could do the same for the others posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement