Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The matter is in discussion by the admins.

I'm not getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

I'm glad to see that most of the posts have been of good news. Well done every1, espeicially you shaz you've been here from the start. The lads are right. No names should be mentioned, unless in the PMs. Get used to covering your own asses guys. Just kidding.

Templemore is amazing and I cannot wait to meet you all. Anyone who does get the call to start in august will get the tour of the college from me. i promise. now if that isn't an incentive i dont know what is he he he he he he he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

haha thanks for that word of encouragement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Jebus.... it's gone quiet here!!
    Playin the waiting game, I'm guessin it's normally 2 weeks after the interview before you get a result ?? (judging by previous posters).

Time to step up the training in case there is a medical /physical in the next few weeks.

Anyone have any problems with eyesight during the medical?? I'm getting lazer done...but they recon it could take a few weeks for the improvement to kick in..... anyone know what happens there...do you have to wait the 12 weeks to re-test or can you go ahead pending result ??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Poitiers

Still no word on medical ..... i resume everyone else is in the same boat ????

Terrible about the off-duty trainee garda in Kerry last weekend.

• Advertisement

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭deputydugs

probationer garda he was in class ga

mcguiver wrote:
    Anyone have any problems with eyesight during the medical?? I'm getting lazer done...but they recon it could take a few weeks for the improvement to kick in..... anyone know what happens there...do you have to wait the 12 weeks to re-test or can you go ahead pending result ??

hi when u getting ur eyes done?

waiting is a killer all right, i have to carry my phone in my sock in work so i dont miss the call for the medical, as phones are a big no no!!

the physicals are meant to be starting on the 20 th of june so they would kinda want to start letting people know soon!!
    i wonder how much notice we will get?

i am marking off the days on a calender , praying that by 2nd august i will be training!!

my friend did her interview on the 24th may and still no word, that is 3 weeks ago tomorrow!!

hi sarah how you feeling ? any news yet? i has been well over 3 weeks for you now,

never happy has his medical tomorrow i think from what i remember from previous posts, i hope it goes well for him.

Eye being done next week!! could be a bit late if the calls for the medical start coming..

Surgeon said that in the past he has worked on recruits and then had to submit a report to the Gardai to say work has been caried out, standard reached etc... but he said it's been a few years since he's had any dealings with them.

Best of luck everyone...my educated guess is the calls should start around this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

For those who are waiting on interview results you wont get them for another 2 or 3 weeks... its disgraceful that would make it 8 weeks since i sat the interview....I asked "those who cant be named" why was there such a delay they said theyre waiting until everyone is interviewed at the end of june..... thats quality customer service at its best...

??? that would be into July, which wouldn't allow time for August intake. But wouldn't surprise me.

oh god. have n't we been put through enough already!!!!!!

that is so mean, i wonder why they doing that,r they picking the best out of the lot or what?

maybe some people might get phonecalls so b4 they get letters!!

Its ridiculous I rang them last week and they said they were "definitely" sending them out no sign.... I rang them Monday, they said they were "definitely" sending them out yesterday.. no sign.... I rang them today and they said that no one has been informed since 27th May... and wouldnt be for 2 or 3 weeks until the interviews completely finish... I dont know what to believe.. Id say theres only a few places left for the August intake...

I think anything they say can be taken with a pinch of salt.
    In fairness to them I don't think they know untill the paperwork starts goin through the system.... and a couple of hundred applicants ringing won't make things happen any quicker (not to mention the hundreds still ringing to see when/if they will be interviewed etc.)

Patience ...sure it's good practice for when your on duty outside an embassy watching the clock all night ;-)

How's it going .... was just wondering about height and weight. Everybody is telling me i'm grand but worried after reading here that a few failed due to being over the BMI --- Is it if you are over 25 BMI ---- you're screwed ???? surely not !

If you want to check your BMI go to the following ........

www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

so is everyone waiting for the medical below the magic no. 25.

I'm 5' 9 12.25 st. which is BMI 25.8
    12 st. would give a BMI of 24.8 which is normal.

Any thoughts ??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Poitiers wrote:
    How's it going .... was just wondering about height and weight. Everybody is telling me i'm grand but worried after reading here that a few failed due to being over the BMI --- Is it if you are over 25 BMI ---- you're screwed ???? surely not !

If you want to check your BMI go to the following ........

www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

so is everyone waiting for the medical below the magic no. 25.

I'm 5' 9 12.25 st. which is BMI 25.8
    12 st. would give a BMI of 24.8 which is normal.

Any thoughts ??

Well I Passed my medical yesterday, I'll forward details later. I measured 5-9 and was about 12-3ish. As it happens I was well under the weight. I'll explain later, no time right now, but sufficed to say that Poiters you wont have a problem

NH

nh ... sound job .... can't wait to hear what happened. Fair play for passing it ---- i'd say you're over the moon !!!!!! Well done. You're in for August so.

P

Did anyone else hear anything about the medical.

Detective --- Any news back from the PSNI ????

NeverHappy wrote:
    Well I Passed my medical yesterday, I'll forward details later. I measured 5-9 and was about 12-3ish. As it happens I was well under the weight. I'll explain later, no time right now, but sufficed to say that Poiters you wont have a problem

NH

well done , i am delighted for you, cant wait to hear the details,
    one question i have , what kind of weighing scale do they use is it eletronic r one more like bathroom scales?
    silly question but an electronic one picks up your weight a bit more accurately!!!

any idea of when ur physical is starting?

Below is a good review of the medical. Some other notes.

I got there at 9, and finished at 1. Others were only getting started at that stage so plan for the whole day there. After you get weighed, ask for water and drink as much as you can. Wait for a while then to give your urine sample. That allows the new water to help filter the nights waste.

The Doctor has a BMI scales (a big version of the Special K calculator). It sends a pulse through your system and measures body fat. I showed up at 18% even though my BMI is closer to 27 by conventional methods. I was very honest about my medical history when filling in the forms, but be aware that any answers will be followed up. I mentioned that I had a hernia just after birth and he checked me out for a current problem.

A couple did fail, eyesight was one and irregular heartbeat another.

The rest is well written by Foregone.

Good luck to all,
    NH

Arrived at HQ around 9am. I'd say there was around 20 of us in the waiting area which was a very small room. We all changed into garbs for the medical..Which involved everything barring a blood sample being taken from us.

I was the person who reckoned that someone failed due to his being completely quiet when changing and walking out..his expression was poorly. Shame..

---

Alright, the Medical:
    After you fill out three quick forms, you'll be introduced to the head of HR in the HQ and he will explain the process to you.

After you fill in the form you change into your Garbs and you undergo the following:

(i) Urine Sample is taken
    (ii) Blood Pressure is taken
    (iii) Hearing test in conducted in a soundproof booth on the ground floor of the testing area. - Quite difficult as even your breathing is louder than some of the beeps. Don't worry though..when you think your mind plays tricks on you still hit that button as there's a 90% chance that it was a real tone.
    (iv) Your height and weight are taken. You're deemed 'overweight' if you're over the maximum limit stated on the weight chart in front of the scales. Don't worry though..If you are over the limit the Doctor will check your BMI later.
    (v) Doctor - You're garbed up and feel quite humiliated..Still. You enter the room where you'll first be asked a few simple questions about allergies and the like. Standard..He might go over some of your past (surgery etc.) though beyond that the tests start. First is the eye test in the little unit I mentioned earlier. It's difficult to explain apart from that you read numbers as well as a number of measurements allowed. Both eyes are assessed at once.

Breathing is checked..You're also asked to touch your toes (Get stretching people!) and after that is just a quick check on your bone structure and other parts of your body.

Finally..He checks your teeth. Very quick glance to see if they're real and not about to rot and fall out the day you enter Templemore.

---

I'd say a lot of people were caught out on the sight tests. It isn't the standard chart, just so you know..More like a unit that you look directly into.

I am pleased to inform you guys however that I've passed and made it into the slot for a physical next Wednesday. ;)!

Just a word of advice to anyone else who may be attending the medical... Tell the Doctor (Albeit the one I had was quite ignorant) that you're quite healthy as there was a discrepency when the nurses measured my weight and blood pressure. After saying this he checked my weight, BMI and blood pressure..all of which were significantly lower than the first time around. I originally failed when weighed first..though the BMI scan showed otherwise. I wasn't surprised as I'm quite active. This also happened to a few others..so just make sure you get fairly treated.

You're right, Detective. I probably was talking to your friend. All of the lads there were dead sound so I couldn't isolate anyone individually. Still it was a worthwhile experience.

How in the name of God will I get another day off is an entirely different question...

Hopefully you lot will get some responses in the near future. The option to defer has only been given to our group apparently (This would, I assume, include the first group of female trainees as they attend on a seperate occasion) as the Commissioner has found that it's only fair being so close to the May 3rd intake. He also made it clear that our group may be the only one getting in on May 3rd. Anyone else could be August.

So hurry up and tell me that you've been been joking all along and have already passed your med/physical. ;)

• Advertisement

thanks for all that nh,
    it is so good to finally hear of some progress at last,

any idea of what stage they are at re: medicals, as in when had everyone there interviews etc?

shaz021 wrote:
    well done , i am delighted for you, cant wait to hear the details,
    one question i have , what kind of weighing scale do they use is it eletronic r one more like bathroom scales?
    silly question but an electronic one picks up your weight a bit more accurately!!!

any idea of when ur physical is starting?

Both Electric. The 2nd one is in the doctors office and measured without clothes, it measues your weight and body fat and was quite good to me actually, about 2-3kg lighter than my home scales which is also digital.

NH

thanks a million neverhappy. sound man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

mcguiver wrote:
    ??? that would be into July, which wouldn't allow time for August intake. But wouldn't surprise me.

Great to see that some things never change ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chief Piggum

Well people hope ye are all keeping well!
    Just wondering if you are succcessful after the interview are you contacted by mail or phone first? Also whats the longest time anyone you know of had to wait to hear back while still getting a positive reply! I know I only did my interview last week but ye probably all know the feelin! Cheers and have a good weekend!

hi chief ---- I was waiting one month. Awful. The postman was harassed every morning. Best of luck with it.

Well people hope ye are all keeping well!
    Just wondering if you are succcessful after the interview are you contacted by mail or phone first? Also whats the longest time anyone you know of had to wait to hear back while still getting a positive reply! I know I only did my interview last week but ye probably all know the feelin! Cheers and have a good weekend!

All my initial contact was via the phone and in the case of the interview, I got the call and had the interview before I received the letter.

NH

Did anyone get their results? I rang them again and they told me the results were send out last friday.. mine havent come anyway

results sent out friday oh ****, i had better go home and check post for my friend although the post in my place is so slow,
    when the results for aptitude came out i actually went to sorting office at 12am on a sunday cos i couldnt wait any longer for them.

chief- i waited 3 weeks for my results for my interview and i got a letter in a brown small envelope! i did interview on 3rd may and got results on 24th may.

i was sick but like everyone else i am waiting for medical call!!

best luck with it

• Advertisement

cool interesting to read, actually http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=1 is another good one , it is english but gives u a few scenarios to see how you would react etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

sarahb wrote:
    Did anyone get their results? I rang them again and they told me the results were send out last friday.. mine havent come anyway

Hi, My nephew done interview on 27 May and got word he passed this morning. Does anybody know when the medical might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terry123

Hi, does anybody think i will have an interview, i passed the test back in Feb and i got a number 2800, so not sure will i get interview and what numbers are they interviewing now and if i was to get an interview when would this happen or do i just have to be patient and wait and see what happens. cheers.

Well its all done know. Passed the physical and got my offer letter to start on Aug 2nd.
    My advice on the physical is to take your time, and dont knock the obstacles. Pace yourself and you'll all be fine.

Good luck to all.

NH

congcrats nh, delighted for you, at long last you got it.
    you have your tourguide up there to show you around!!

my friend did her interview on 24th may and she got her letter yesterday saying she passed and then a phonecall today asking her to attend for a medical on tues and that her physical will prob be next week too!!

i had my interview start of may and still waiting, but she asked for me+was told is cos i have 12 uncles and aunts, she only had 3!!

• Advertisement

terry123 wrote:
    Hi, does anybody think i will have an interview, i passed the test back in Feb and i got a number 2800, so not sure will i get interview and what numbers are they interviewing now and if i was to get an interview when would this happen or do i just have to be patient and wait and see what happens. cheers.

hi sorry, i haven't a notion the detective is the only person really that knows all that, hopefully you will though, 2 of my friends are in the same boat as you, let us know if you get the letter, or better still ring them in public jobs or phoneix park and ask them.
    best of luck though.

Well done Never Happy,
    Hope all goes well for ya in Templemore. I'm still playin the waiting game, although it's just as well...I got my lazer treatment today, so a few days before my eye will be recovered. I'd love to know have they filled the August class yet, but sure it's anyones guess now.
    Well done again, and best of luck to the rest of ya waitin for that call.

hi mcguiver, how u find the treatment? waiting is the worst all right,

any news sarah?

potiers, any news of medical?

i am stil waiting on medical, i rand them and they said is because i have 10 uncles and aunts, thats the delay, anyone else in this boat?

Hi Shaz, treament was ok (wasn't thinking that yesterday when they were sucking my eyeball out!!) Had tests today and I'm over the Garda standard, and should improve in the next few days as the bruising etc. goes away.

I rang the P.A.S. they said results within the next week, which in theory still gives enough time for the August intake ... but who knows!!

I've never answered my phone as quickly in my life, news good or bad would be better than waiting around...I'm in a wierd work situation which involves a few people losing their jobs if I do get Templemore.. so it's tough working away with people I treat as friends not knowing if they will have a job or not in a few weeks...and of course I can't tell them.

Patience patience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chic05

Hi...i wish i had found this forum before now.
    i applied for the garda's back in November, did my iq tests in Janurary
    and got results in Feb.
    Called for an interview in march and i felt like forever and a day before they got back to me (twas about a month)...but i got it!!
    went pretty fast from there..medical followed by pct test a few days later..
    it took a LONG time but im heading off to Templemore in about a month and i cant wait!!! :)

• Advertisement

i would say to people who havnt heard yet...don't dispair
    i hadnt got the results of the interview but i was called to fill in a form in the station..and then i got a phone call telling me i had got it...the actual letter telling me i got it didnt come for another week or two..
    it feels like forever...I KNOW!!! but hang in there

NeverHappy wrote:
    Well its all done know. Passed the physical and got my offer letter to start on Aug 2nd.
    My advice on the physical is to take your time, and dont knock the obstacles. Pace yourself and you'll all be fine.

Good luck to all.

NH

see ya there!!!

well done for that chic,

best of luck mcguiver, let us know ur results asap!
    my stomach is in knots for you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 macthelad

hi, can someone please shed light on my situation. had my interview in march got a letter in mid april saying that i passed. have heard nothing since. everyone else, even people who had interviews after me have done the medical and physical. is there a chance im not getting called?

hi there,i wold really suggest that u ring the appointments office,your details could have misplaced by accident,passing the interview is definitly a good sign for things to follow,altho i have met people who passed the interview last year and only got a call for the medical/fitness test now.
    ring them asap

Any news anyone???

All quiet here. In theory (judging by last intake), there's just 2 weeks left to get results, do medical and physical and still be in time for August.

Fingers crossed.

mcguiver wrote:
    Any news anyone???

All quiet here. In theory (judging by last intake), there's just 2 weeks left to get results, do medical and physical and still be in time for August.

Fingers crossed.

Start date is officially Aug 2nd.

NH

Yep I knew that, just judging past posts.... 3 weeks seems to be the least amount of notice given.

mcguiver wrote:
    Any news anyone???

Fingers crossed.

i know someone who did the medical on a thursday,was askes to come back four days later on the monday to do the fitness test and start in templemore the following week,when they move they move fast!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 osmodio

hi!
    i was told i passed my interview on a monday did my medical on a thursday and was asked wud i come for the physical the next day and this was just about 3 weeks before the intake...so dont be worryin yet mcGuiver!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement