Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

i know of a female Guard who is a big enough girl and told me that she doesnt really do any exercise, maybe walking thats about it. She passed her medical and is now qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

lilolil wrote:
    Anyone know any quick ways of losing weight?? :D I really don't want to risk it! :(

you can lose up to a stone overnight with ease if you take a diuretic (spelling?) basically your body is 90% water, this pill or liquid or whatever it is causes a higher than normal proportion of the water to leave your body.

from dictionary.com

"A substance or drug that tends to increase the discharge of urine."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lilolil

Eh - Any idea where I would get one of these?? (Or 2...) :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

lilolil wrote:
    Eh - Any idea where I would get one of these?? (Or 2...) :p

From a corrupt pharmacist, doctor, or nurse perhaps? ;)

But probably not a good idea if you are going to have to give a *urine* sample!

I understand that drug metabolytes can be detected in urine these days.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

It'll be interesting, as I'm about 6-8 lbs over the allowed weight at the moment. On a crash diet but not sure how close I'll get. I explained that I had been injured, and they gave me an extra 10 days to do the medical. I was asked for today, but given Friday 15th to give me a chance.

As I cannot make the may entry at this stage, I wonder if they will give more time to get to the required weight, as if I had missed a few uestions in the test, I would have until July anyway.

Damn you superintelligence ;-)

People seem worried about different sections, but I think that things that can be changed should be given time.

A friend was told, years ago, that to pass a state medical they neede to get some fillings. With that done, they passed.

We'll see what happens,
    NH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Your asked to touch your toes wtf???

What has that got to do with anything???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

alfie wrote:
    Your asked to touch your toes wtf???

What has that got to do with anything???

I could never touch my toes and im quite fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

Im only young now but i was hopeing to apply when i leave school. What qualifications would i need and would it be better to go to collage first just in case i dont get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

RE: Touching Toes
    You don't have to actually touch your toes without bending your knees (although this would be desirable. The doctor will ask you to touch your toes and you will have to attempt it. He won't be paying close attention to how close you get to your toes. He just wants to see if you have a bad back - that's all!!

Thomas O' Leary
    All educational qualifications are on the garda.ie website in the FAQ section. Whether or not you go to college first is entirely based on what you want out of life. If you go straight to work then you will have a bit of money saved for when you're in Templemore. If you get a diploma/degree then you will get rewarded with additional pay increments after a few years in the force and of course, your promotion prospects will look a lot brighter. Also, if you got to college you will have soemthing to fall back on should you not get in.

Don't ever bank on getting the gardai!! So many great candidates haven't come through the process while so many "not-so-great" candidates have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Yes..

I decided that myself when I realised that we were up against 11,000 potential Gardai. You couldn't guarantee yourself a job..No way on Earth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 owler fasc

Did anyone get a call over the last day or so.I interviewed on the 30th (after deferring from the 19th) and as of yet havent heard a thing :confused: Starting to go doolally.!!!!!!!!!

:( I interviewed on the 14th and was 43rd on the stage 1 and still haven't heard anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

lilolil that was excellent to come 43rd.. you should get it for doing so well....
    the thing is aswell their always going to want more males than females so its much tougher..... they only take a small amount of females in every intake...

Thanks SarahB.. I was chuffed with that but now my worry is that I did ok on the interview! I'm kind of glad I didn't get called yet in one sense cause it gives me a bit of time to lose a bit of weight! walking and cycling round the clock now! :)

sarahb wrote:
    lilolil that was excellent to come 43rd.. you should get it for doing so well....
    the thing is aswell their always going to want more males than females so its much tougher..... they only take a small amount of females in every intake...

So does that mean we pass our interview and theres too many girls in one batch, they'd fail u??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Any of you guys care to tell me your ages and what you currently do.

Interesting for me because I just spoke to a friend whose boyfriend is currently in Templemore, is 25 and by far the oldest there.

For the record Im 29 and a Computer Engineer.

22 and Legal Secretary.

Id say he is the eldest at 25 because when he would have went in the age requirement was 26. You'll be in the first batch going down of the new age limit of 35 so id say there'll be lots more over the age of 25!

Griffen wrote:
    So does that mean we pass our interview and theres too many girls in one batch, they'd fail u??

no if you pass your interview, it might take a while to go for medical

:o 31 and a Clerical Officer in the HSE (Female)

• Advertisement

22 CO in Civil Service......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

21 and a college bum.

re. losing weight quickly. i have found that after doing a really good workout i can lose up to 1/3 of a stone. i assume a lot of it is water loss due to sweating. but a good method of losing weight quickly is to do a good workout everyday for a week, and be very strict on what you eat.

like in one week i lost a stone and bit.
    everyday i had a pint of orange juice for breakfast. 2 pints of orange juice for lunch, and some fruit, and one pint for dinner. and all throughout the day i would drink water, probably 3-4 litres a day. and an almost 2 hour work-out burning over 1000 calories.
    its easy because i'm in a gym, but even just going for a jog till your knackered. then walking for a bit, then jog again and keep doing that for about an hour and a half.

also, although it's not necessary for the physical, you should try and be able to run a mile and half in 11mins 45 secs. it's the run that they do in templemore and if you are unable to do it you get thrown out.

it's not the hardest. but at the same time if you are in bad shape you won't make it. you gotta run at about 13.5km/hr to get the run in about 11 mins 30 secs.

one thing to remember though, if you run on a treadmill run at an incline. as running on treadmills without an incline is like running downhill almost.

i remember the first day i tried to do the mile and half on the road, i didnt make it in nearly the right time. so try and train on the road as well as on the treadmill

civil service say results should be with us two weeks from yesteday. what a joke, that means i'll have them over a month after i did the interview.

even if they i get good news, there is no way at all i will be able to make the may 3rd class. was speaking to the garda appointments office - my results still havent come in.

was told that background checks on people living in foreign countries take much longer, well all of my relatives live in either england or america. so i rekcon they'll take forever.

anyone else heard anything yet? they said they are doing medicals pretty much every day now up until the begining of may. so hopefully people will be getting called soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Jack Feeney

Just wondering if anyone else has applied for the Gardai? i have my aptitude test tomorrow morning nine in croke park and i'm ****ting it.

anyone doing it tomorrow, or are there any gards on here who did it recently?

just thought i'd check.

Why not try and join the Donegal Gardai? Entry standards are low to non-existant! Hope this helps, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 royal

Guys the best of luck if you make it, dont forget us who are placed in the 1900 and 2000 or even 3000 in the list me being one of them, we may never even get the chance to be called for interview. Keep us informed to what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

lilolil wrote:
    :o 31 and a Clerical Officer in the HSE (Female)

Morning. New user here.

Am just reading about ages entering the Garda College. Jeez I'll be the oul fella so (33) but deffo won't be the most mature.

I had the interview on the 29th March. I really don't expect to get it. Just one of those interviews where I knew it didn't go well. I 'd only be holding you all back in Templemore anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm 20, and a Clerical Officer in Wicklow County Council ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seammc

Why not try and join the Donegal Gardai? Entry standards are low to non-existant! Hope this helps, :D

Feeney, you're an idiot..

22 year old 4th year B. Sc. Computer Science student.

:D
    seammc wrote:
    Feeney, you're an idiot..

That's rich coming from someone bricking it about a fortcoming aptitude test for the Keystone Cops....the irony of it!

• Advertisement

That's rich coming from someone bricking it about a fortcoming aptitude test for the Keystone Cops....the irony of it!

It sounds like the best 4 years of your life was in second class. Go back to your squirrel eating.

hawker wrote:
    It sounds like the best 4 years of your life was in second class. Go back to your squirrel eating.

What a wit! ....You shouldn't have a problem with the aptitude test....Now, can you pronounce VEH - HI - CLE? That's it ....you're in! :D

People ignore the likes of 'Jack Feeney'! For those who are interested in getting into the Guards stay here - I'm enjoying all the updates! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

lilolil wrote:
    People ignore the likes of 'Jack Feeney'! For those who are interested in getting into the Guards stay here - I'm enjoying all the updates! ;)

But take note of the level of contempt some of the public have for plod and take it out on innocents in your future careers ;)

What a wit! ....You shouldn't have a problem with the aptitude test....Now, can you pronounce VEH - HI - CLE? That's it ....you're in! :D

ah.....hello We did the aptitude test already...........

My previous post about your four years in second class has been proved correct. The word vehicle is spelt v.e.h.i.c.l.e.

You obviously got the day off from school for the Pope's funeral so thank God you'll only be with us for one day. So can everyone type slowly only for today especially for Jack. And please try to keep to words of five letters or less!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

hawker wrote:
    And please try to keep to words of five letters or less!!

Yeah practice for when you are writing up reports as a copper.

Should that not be "Forthcoming"

I wonder have they sent out any regrets yet, do people who failed have to wait another two weeks for word aswell? God this waiting round is not fair at all.

When i did not get my interview last year i hear from them within two or three weeks of doing my interview. What is the story??

I wonder have they sent out any regrets yet, do people who failed have to wait another two weeks for word aswell? God this waiting round is not fair at all.

When i did not get my interview last year i heard from them within two or three weeks of doing the interview. So did a friend of mine. What is the story this time round??

• Advertisement

Griffen wrote:

When i did not get my interview last year i heard from them within two or three weeks of doing the interview. So did a friend of mine. What is the story this time round??

I reckon everyone will get official pass/fail letters at the same time. Thats usually the way the PAS works. To be honest I don't mind waiting as I'm expecting the worst anyway. I suppose it's not the end of the world for me but for younger people starting off it would be tougher to take.

Ya its true alrite, im expecting bad news myself but its just the wondering and waiting, you never really know do you! :confused:

Griffen wrote:
    Ya its true alrite, im expecting bad news myself but its just the wondering and waiting, you never really know do you! :confused:

I suppose t'would be nice to know one way or the other. I'm not expecting anything till the week after next.

hawker wrote:
    My previous post about your four years in second class has been proved correct. The word vehicle is spelt v.e.h.i.c.l.e.

You obviously got the day off from school for the Pope's funeral so thank God you'll only be with us for one day. So can everyone type slowly only for today especially for Jack. And please try to keep to words of five letters or less!!

Well Done! And I see the Ban-Garda observed that on the day in question, said defendent, as noted and afforementionned, also spelled the word 'forthcoming' incorrectly .... we've the pick of the crop, the very cream of society, coming through this year?...Anal-retentive perhaps but I suppose we're not sending a rocket to the moon.

Four years doing first degree, two years doing second (MA) and I'll perhaps take five doing third.

Loosen up why don't you !

removed after what oceallachain said.
    now lets try and get this back on topic.

anyone recieved the phonecall over weekend??
    i still have heard nothing :(

Jack Feeney
    I'm not going to put you down or slag you off. I don't see the point in that. But in fairness you aren't adding anything constructive to this thread. This is a very helpful thread to lots of people and if it isn't of interest to you then you don't have to keep posting to it.

If you have a problem with the GARDA service then go ahead, we live in a democracy, voice your opinions... if we are true democrats then we will respect your opinion and wishes. But please, on another thread. Will you respect our right to have a thread and not have it interfered with also?

Everybody
    Let's stop critisizing the guy. Just ignore unhelpful posts. Jack Feeney started with a post regarding the Donegal cops. I'm sure they are a lot of fine cops in Donegal but let's be fair to him - the morris tribunal didn't half give critics of the gardai plenty of ammo.

People who don't appreciate the danger that some cops put themselves into on a daily basis might drive you nuts but if you're constructive about it then it should keep you on your toes in order to keep striving to improve. If you can't take critisizm guys (albeit in this case it wasn't very constructive critisizm).... don't join the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭shaz021

hi all new to this, i have been reading these messages from the start and they are the best thing ever,
    i am as anxious as all you to get in and join,
    i came 1013 in aptitude test and was told my interview is in june sometime,
    i also was told that if i want to join i have to get laser eye as my eyes are too poor -2.25 and -2.5 so thats a setback,
    i really hope ye all get get it

hi allhi

hi all new to this, i have been reading these messages from the start and they are the best thing ever,
    i am as anxious as all you to get in and join,
    i came 1013 in aptitude test and was told my interview is in june sometime,
    i also was told that if i want to join i have to get laser eye as my eyes are too poor -2.25 and -2.5 so thats a setback,
    i really hope ye all get get it
    shar

• Advertisement

Hi all!

Anyone get any word over the weekend??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement