Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Accounting

Options
  • 15-03-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am thinking of doing a masters in accounting in UCD after finishing BESS in trinity this year. Im wondering if anyone has done it or might know someone who might be willing to pass on their wisdom about the course.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

apply to a big 4 accounting firm now and if they take you they will pay 4 it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Exactly as above. It costs 14k to do it Smurfit. If you're going to be doing an M.Acc without a Big4 firm sponsoring you don't do it in UCD. DCU, NUIG and some of the IT's offer M.Accs for 7k. At the end of the day you're getting the exact same exemptions. And exemptions from ACA exams are only reason to M.Acc

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

That was the plan but I made a mess of my interview for PwC, I think KPMG has a 2nd round in the autumn. Im just wondering how difficult the course is, im hearing 9-5 in lectures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

i hear 9-5 also. really tough as you get so many exemptions from professional examinations when you pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Actually the exemptions aren't all that great. If you're someone with a B. Comm (Accounting mode) and didn't do M. Acc you would do Prof 3s in your first summer working (big 4 would give you about 9 weeks study leave for this). However if you don't have exemption from Prof 2 (i.e. non-accounting degree) it's probably worth doing.

If you have M.Acc you're exempt from Prof 3s so do no exams that first summer and just work.

Either way, in your second summer you have FAEs (no exemption from these).
    So for that scenario (assumes ACA qualification only being sought. that's the usual thing for people going into Audit) M.Acc doesn't let you qualify any quicker, just gives you your first summer free of exams (obviously without the accompanying paid study leave too though!!!)

However if like me, you want to do Tax And ACA then it's 3 years to qualification with M.Acc and 4 years without it. I'm choosing 4 years because I'm sick of being a broke student!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement