Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Threatened with Dangerous Driving by angry Garda

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

sneakyST wrote:
    I would never let any garda speak to me in that manner.
    You may not let him speak to you in that manner but if you revert in the same way as he is acting your in the doo doo.

I am in the reserve traffic corps and believe me the standard of driving from full time garda is 90% very bad.

Never react as you loose the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Sandwich wrote:
    Could the OP have legally not stopped at all, and just continued wherever he was going? What ID if any must a Garda car have to require you to stop.?

Could OP have refused to engage with him until shown ID and the Garda's number?

You could argue that what looked like a nutter driving dangerously gave good grounds for not stopping at all.

Sounds too bizarre, even for an off form Guard, not to be just a chancer.

If not in uniform or partially uniformed he/she has to produce their warrant card.

Also opening a door in such a manner is technically classed as a minor form of assault

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is no such thing as reserve traffic corps.

The rank is Reserve Garda.

Also there is no such thing as a warrant card. All gardai are issued with an identification card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I know that road in Ballybrack/Killiney, I grew up about 500 metres from there.

I've been in the correct left hand lane there on many occasions, and had arseholes overtake me in the right hand lane, forcing their way into the left hand lane purely on the basis that they accelerated hard at the lights.

I'm not sure of the interpretation of the rules of the road though.
    Whether
    a) the left hand lane has complete and unconditional right of way or
    b) since the right hand lane ends, and is forced to merge with the left, that drivers in the left hand lane are required to filter the right hand lane traffic in.

I reckon you just wanted to skip a few cars, and not queue up politely in the left hand lane. No sympathy from me.

Ps. if you had a "frightened female passenger in the car" then you should've been driving carefully, not trying to impress her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OMcGovern wrote:
    I've been in the correct left hand lane there on many occasions, and had arseholes overtake me in the right hand lane, forcing their way into the left hand lane purely on the basis that they accelerated hard at the lights.
    Are there any road markings on the road before the lanes merge that indicate that one or the other lane is, say, for turning right only? If not, then they're both the "correct" lane, right up until the point at which they merge.
    I'm not sure of the interpretation of the rules of the road though.
    Whether
    a) the left hand lane has complete and unconditional right of way or
    b) since the right hand lane ends, and is forced to merge with the left, that drivers in the left hand lane are required to filter the right hand lane traffic in.
    I reckon b) but I'm not 100% sure.
    I reckon you just wanted to skip a few cars, and not queue up politely in the left hand lane. No sympathy from me.
    See above. Nothing to do with politeness. If there are two lanes they can both be used legally until they merge.
    Ps. if you had a "frightened female passenger in the car" then you should've been driving carefully, not trying to impress her.
    Read the post. She was frightened by the abusive rantings of Mr. Off-Duty Garda, not by the OP's driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Flying wrote:
    If not in uniform or partially uniformed he/she has to produce their warrant card.

Garda not in uniform has to show id card if requested.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seastar

(and by the way 'Their' and 'There' are two differnet words. e.g. 'Their test kit')

Just to let you know that 'your' and 'you're' are two different (not differnet) words also;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

seastar wrote:
    Just to let you know that 'your' and 'you're' are two different (not differnet) words also;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

seastar wrote:

You're welcome OP (whos use of english is worse than mine anyway....) - 'there' and 'their' are inexcusable though in fairness?

And OP still has'nt commented on his opinions on 'large pensions and salaries'??

Advertisement