Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It is time to chose a mascot

• 15-03-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Brothers, I present to you, in no particular order, the nominees for mascot of this fine forum.

Al-bundy_01.jpg

georgecostanza4ns3ie.jpg

homer20beer.jpg

250px-Male_silverback_Gorilla.JPG

orangutan.jpg

Who should our new mascot be 64 votes

Al Bundy
    0% 0 votes
    George Costanza
    43% 28 votes
    Home J. Simpson
    9% 6 votes
    Billy the Belly
    37% 24 votes
    Orangutan #2
    4% 3 votes
    Other (please specify in thread)
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A slight bit of bother with the links there Tom. Maybe your gut was resting on the keyboard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

smashey wrote:
    A slight bit of bother with the links there Tom. Maybe your gut was resting on the keyboard. :D

Thank you, brother Smashey.

I was indeed attempting to type, but my girth prevented me from doing so properly. All should be good now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Costanza ftw.

smashey wrote:
    Costanza ftw.

Indeed, brother, I fear this is one matter that may cause great consternation and ultimately divide us.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brother Tom, I fear your poll may cause some confusion as "Orangutan 1" is in fact a gorilla. And it's not even a gorilla in orangutan fancy dress.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it has to be costanza imo, but brothers I bear no ill will to any of the above mascots. although I do believe our mascot should have a beer belly and be folicily challenged which rules out the gorilla and orang in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Em, Orangutan #1 is a Gorilla!

Last post here, so ban away!

Edited to add: I thought option 1 was Ted Bundy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

There is only one true choice for a mascot Al Bundy

bundy.jpg

Beergut: check
    Receding hairline: check

nuff said really

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm torn between Al and Homer J. Both have been heroes to me with their unswaying devotion to beer and sitting on the couch.

I only choose Al because of his Ma'am stance. :)

There is only one true choice for a mascot Al Bundy

Beergut: check
    Receding hairline: check

nuff said really

but compared to george and homer he has a stomach of iron and
    hair like a wild meadow in spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can see a hardening of fronts developing here.
    The dignified great apes have been rejected, and quite frankly, brothers in gut, I personally would not like to be closely associated with any of the mascots of TV fame.

Because, let's face it ...there are beer guts and receding hair...and then there is a certain dignity, which in my opinion all of the mentioned fictional characters have lost somewhere on the way.

How about a nice, innovensive "middle ground" mascot then ...

one like this, for example:

bierbauch.gif

possibly a slightly less "lame" one could be found?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Men Behaving Badly? They do spend every episode sitting around drinking beer and farting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Richie and Eddie from Bottom surely deserve a mention.

peasant wrote:
    I can see a hardening of fronts developing here.
    The dignified great apes have been rejected, and quite frankly, brothers in gut, I personally would not like to be closely associated with any of the mascots of TV fame.

Because, let's face it ...there are beer guts and receding hair...and then there is a certain dignity, which in my opinion all of the mentioned fictional characters have lost somewhere on the way.

How about a nice, innovensive "middle ground" mascot then ...

one like this, for example:

bierbauch.gif

possibly a slightly less "lame" one could be found?

I'm starting to agree here, I'm not sure I could face a henpecked saddo like Al as my mascot. I'd be willing to give up on George or Homer right now to prevent having Al on board..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Brother Peasent has a point, the TV gods are false gods. Let's make our own golden calf. Why don't we just adopt his artwork? It fulfills all the conditions. It's balding, it's roundy, it has a beer, has no need of designer clothes and is happy. Let's call him Billy the Belly. A done deal, more beer wench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Hagar wrote:
    Brother Peasent has a point, the TV gods are false gods. Let's make our own golden calf. Why don't we just adopt his artwork? It fulfills all the conditions. It's balding, it's roundy, it has a beer, has no need of designer clothes and is happy. Let's call him Billy the Belly. A done deal, more beer wench.

Brother Hagar is right ... this poll is turning Brother against Brother... it's gut check time ... I would rather have no mascot, than a mascot that offended another brother ... I think Brother Peasant's artwork fulfills several important criteria, not least of which, he appears to be bollock naked.

+1 for Billy the Belly

*squints* with his semi stunted arms folded gently across the expanse of gut, and the sated expression, he looks a little sloth like doesn't he ? that can only be a good thing ... go Billy!

trout wrote:
    Brother Hagar is right ... this poll is turning Brother against Brother... it's gut check time ... I would rather have no mascot, than a mascot that offended another brother ... I think Brother Peasant's artwork fulfills several important criteria, not least of which, he appears to be bollock naked.

+1 for Billy the Belly

*squints* with his semi stunted arms folded gently across the expanse of gut, and the sated expression, he looks a little sloth like doesn't he ? that can only be a good thing ... go Billy!

I'm on board with the brothers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dear brethren, my vote, and also please raise a glass, to, the late oliver reed

"Billy the Belly" isn't actually my artwork ...but I appreciate the support nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Brother Homer Jay Simpson ftw!!!

• Advertisement

zaph wrote:
    Brother Tom, I fear your poll may cause some confusion as "Orangutan 1" is in fact a gorilla. And it's not even a gorilla in orangutan fancy dress.

LOL. That's what I get for posting while running out the door to catch my train home.

I am suitably enamoured with brother Peasant's find.

+1 for Billy the Belly

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This issue is proving divisive my brothers. I propose we each have our own private mascot. One that we feel exemplifies all that is good, and right about having a fat tum and a slappy head.

Bretheren

I present to you:

billymy0.jpg

Feel free to improve him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Al Bundy all the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Billy seems to be drawing the brotherhood together, so it gets my vote. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

+1 for Billy the Belly

But that's what they call me at home!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I hereby rescind my earlier vote for whoever it was I voted for, and add my support for Brother Billy the Belly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

peter griffin??
    but i think al bundy for his general narkiness it has to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Ruu wrote:
    Richie and Eddie from Bottom surely deserve a mention.

Absolutely!!!! Surely they some up the joy of the lives we lead my brothers?

Failing that, I go for Al Bundy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I myself have to propose one J. Wellington Wimpy for this task.
    The man is a lazy gluttinous genius. What more do we need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

zaph wrote:
    I hereby rescind my earlier vote for whoever it was I voted for, and add my support for Brother Billy the Belly.
    As do I Brothers. When I voted the choice was "Other specified in thread". That's +1 for Billy and -1 for the "unspecified" option. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I think that Alf Garnett is definitely worth a mention.
    Bald, grumpy, bit of a belly, likes a beer & knows how to treat women.
    He's hitting all the right spots.

alf_garnet.jpg

insicknessandinhealth_1.jpg

Surely this fella requires a mention!
    zoom55.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Peter Griffin and failing that Billy the Belly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Al Murray
    Johhny Vegas
    Victor Meldrew
    Barney Gumble
    Sid The Sexist(out of viz)
    Barry (from "inside the worlds fattest man")
    Richard Harris
    Shane Mcgowan
    Derek Trotter
    All i feel have merit,my Brothers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Al Bundy is all fine and well, but he lacks girth, and lets face it Brothers, you can't fake girth.

My vote goes to Homer J. Simpson.

Ritz.

Advertisement