Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from, say, Comm to B&L?

Options
  • 15-03-2007 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is possible, and if so, what are the conditions. I've got a mate in 1st year at the moment and he said that assuming the points drop to what you got in the LC, you can transfer... Would this be into whatever year you were going into.. i.e., finish first year Comm and can transfer into 2nd year B&L...

If the points didn't drop, are there any other routes into B&L?

I'm in 6th year at the moment but it's looking possible I won't get what I need for B&L, and if that's the case I'll prob end up doing Commerce, but really want to do B&L...

Ty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

For your friend's case:
    - he would have to satisfy the points and subject requirements for b&l next year
    - they would have to have room for him in the course (usually when people dont take the place or drop out or something)
    - he would probably have to go back into 1st year b&l since he has missed the whole law side of the course, unless he can carry the modules over but theres a good few I think so probably not.
    - however he would be exempt from courses which he has already passed that b&l and commerce have in common (things like economics for example)
    - he would have to pay the fees for the courses/modules that he would be taking new, like the law modules since he has already had one year under the free fees scheme
    ...its pretty much the same kind of thing for transferring into any course in the college, you gotta meet the requirements, they have to have room, and you have to make up the modules required.

Anyway, you should tell him to start discussing his options with the programme office.

As for other routes, im not actually an authority for B&L since im in Arts so im not sure, but there are some other B&L students on this board who will hopefully be able to give you better advice than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Sounds odd. You couldn't go into 2nd B&L without having studied the 1st Law modules that b&l students do. I certainly wouldn't plan ahead for that to be the route to take. It's far too uncertain. If you really want to do B&L consider the following other courses instead of just settling for Commerce: (I do Commerce and love it, but now that I'm nearly done I'm realising I would have liked the bit of law involved in B&L)

Corporate Law at NUIG
    Law and Accounting at UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm in 4th B&L and haven't heard of anyone ever doing this- unless the points dropped in the 2nd or 3rd round etc. I don't see how you could transfer into 2nd b&l without having completed any law modules. You would probably just have to reapply to the CAO if the points dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I have a friend who did Commerce international because she didnt get the points for regular Commerce. The following year the points dropped and she transferred into regular Commerce - but she had to reapply through the CAO. She had to repeat 1st year, though she was exempt from modules she had already done. I know it's not the exact same situation, but it's fairly similar.

So basically, it's possible, but you cant go into second year, and you just need to reapply through the CAO.

Advertisement