Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Painting Suspension Springs

Options
  • 15-03-2007 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

As the title suggests, is it possible to paint them? (using a brake caliper paint for example).

The reason I ask, I have matt silver coils at the moment, which can be seen from the side of the car. I think a different colour might make it look a little cleaner.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Coils er coil, the paint won't last I'm sure.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm sure there is a way, as some springs come painted from the factory. It probably involves special paint and heat, though. If I were the OP i'd just stop looking at them.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes as Anan1 said I think powder coated paint would do it, the metal of the springs is lightly heated and then put into powder which kind of melts onto the metal to give a plasticy gloss look. Not sure how they would perform with the flexing of the springs but the paint wouldn't crack anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ordinary paint is hardly so brittle that it would crack and fall off the springs?

Personally I'd just drive the car. 1/2 a mile should be sufficient to give you brown springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    Ordinary paint is hardly so brittle that it would crack and fall off the springs?
    I'd say it might be. That said, painting car springs is hardly my area of special expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

hmm, thats why i was thinking of using brake caliper paint, or even hammerite flexi!! Might just wrap them in wrapping paper! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Make sure that there are no paint dabs on them already. VW group cars use paint dabs as identifiers for spare parts. I don't know if this applies to other makes and models..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jadis

Hey I was wondering about this myself just now. Found this board on google. Anyway, I guess it wouldnt hurt to try and rough up the surface of the springs a bit just with some 200 grit sandpaper (maybe too harsh?) and then spray them down. Worst thing that happens is the paint falls off and you start over!

Happy st.pattys haha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sad that I am I actually did this once. AFAIR I used hammerrite smooth. Cleaned them up and keyed the surface with a bit of wet and dry sandpaper. It worked fine. Didn't flake. Maybe a better place to ask would be in the classic car forum. They do this kinda thing all the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement