Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 3G coverage in Longford

Options
  • 15-03-2007 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello everyone...

Trying to set up my family with broadband in a sort of remote location in Longford has proven to be a bit of challenge. We have decided on the 3 3G Datacard option - as we have a desktop and in a couple of weeks they will be supplying a USB adapter for the cards (sweet). The coverage looks good on the map (but its not very detailed - so we will not know for sure).

The guys in the 3 store asked us to check the coverage outside the house using a mobile...but we don't know anyone with a 3 account...and how can we be sure its 3G coverage (and not 2.5 or whatever)?

We are located approx 2 miles east of the N4 between Longford and Edgeworthstown and the house has a clear view of the TV mast on Cairn Hill (I'm thinking that's where 3 may have a mast also?) - which is probably 4-5 miles as the crow flies.

Anyone any ideas??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

nearly sure 3 are on Cairn Hill, should be ok for coverage.

I think 3 offer a 14 day money back trial anyway so no loss.

Also, you can buy antenna for the datacards that will improve the received signal also.

I'd also expect if you were near Longford town, there's probably a site in the town somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 catherinem

Hey, thanks for info. I'll post back when we get the datacard and let everyone know what the coverage is like.

Thanks again!

Catherine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What handset have you got? Are you with 3 with that handset?
    If it's a Nokia handset you'll see the symbol under the signal strength "bars, if you are in 2G coverage then it will be a symbol of a mast like a "T", if you are in a 3G area you'll see a 3G symbol that looks like a "3" and a "G" merged int each other.
    If it's an Ericsson handset then 3G coverage is denoted by a small blue circle next to the signal strength indicator.
    As far as I can remember Cairn is too high to be suitable for a 3G site (I'll check that up later).
    Just remember that 3G does not cover as well indoors so I would recomment you get a 3G to wireless LAN type device. What this is is a box you leave in your window (to get better 3G coverage), then you connect to this box via WLAN from your PC/laptop.
    Mast -> 3G/HSDPA -> Device -> WLAN -> PC
    Not sure if 3 sell them but it's definitely the best way to do it.
    There is also a USB type device, the datacard option may not be a runner unless you use an external antenna, by external I mean a little antenna that plugs in to the card, again the positioning of the antenna will have a bearing on coverage & ultimately data rates.
    Just bear in mind too any device you buy at the minute is likely to become obsolete a lot sooner than would traditionally be the case.
    Best of luck.

hi rebel. unfortunately we don't have a 3 mobile account, so can't check it on a handset. thanks for the advice on the booster device -- I'll give it a go if the coverage is bad with just the card itself.

catherine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LongfordDane

So how did it work out for you cathrine.

I have a Three 3g datacard down here in Keenagh and bougth a SLP external antenna. Got very good reception 1 Mbit to 1.5Mbit but my upload is only 50 Kb/s properlyhave a defective antenna connector on the 3G card

Cheers

LongordDane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hi LongfordDane, can I ask which SLP external antenna, and where did you get it?

Thanks!

Hi LongfordDane....we havent got round to getting the datacard from 3 as we are waiting till they supply the USB adapter (we have a desktop) - otherwise it will be quite pricey online to get one. shouldn't be too long now...and i will post back and let everyone know the speed etc.

Catherine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

you will be waiting a long long time for a usb modem from 3.......
    you should get a hsdpa wireless router from linksys
    just stick the 3 data card inside this and set up your own wi-fi around your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oscarholly

Hi Guys,
    I cant get broadband in my area in Milltown Co Kerry
    there is wireless in the area but my house is not in line of sight, I have subscribed to 3Ireland for a data card broadband service the signal is iffy, I have aquired an external antenna for the card it seems to hold the signal better
    I need a router that I can slot the card into as I have a desktop upstairs and a laptop downstairs.(advice please)

Also can I use voip with this service, using my own BT cordless phones or will I have to buy special phones

Please Please help as I have a 14 day moneyback option and I need to check out all options

Will the Linskeys router work with the 3Ireland datacard?

Regards

Oscarholly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 theaviator

I have a Three 3g datacard down here in Keenagh and bougth a SLP external antenna. Got very good reception 1 Mbit to 1.5Mbit but my upload is only 50 Kb/s properlyhave a defective antenna connector on the 3G card

Cheers

LongordDane

Hi LongfordDane, I am 2 miles from keenagh. Is the coverage just in the village? What sort of antennae did yo get?

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    you will be waiting a long long time for a usb modem from 3.......
    you should get a hsdpa wireless router from linksys
    just stick the 3 data card inside this and set up your own wi-fi around your house.
    Hi

I assume you mean a device such as this one:

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146762

Yeah, I sort of looked into it and we felt that if the coverage wasn't great it might be a bit of a waste of money. We are STILL waiting for "three" to release the USB adaptor for the datacard...any day soon (yeah, right).. When we eventually get the hardware, we'll give it a go. If the coverage is good then we'll get the LinkSys modem so that we can set up a wireless network around the house.

So, still waiting....I'll check back here when we have it going and let you know what the story is.

Catherine

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd check back in and provide a bit of an update on this. We have been using this datacard/USB adapter from 3 for a little while now. There was an issue with the Windows Vista driver, but after downloading correct driver from the 3 website and installing everything working OK.

The coverage in Longford is quite good. I would not say its 100% all of the time but for the home user its grand. I don't have any stats right now as I am not on the machine...but I'll post back with better information when I get it.

If you are in the Longford area, want a good quality 'always on' broadband service and cannot access standard service, this mobile option from 3 is definitely worth a try. If the signal is bad in your area, you can return the device and get your money back.

Catherine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yeah im in the tarmonbarry area, and am gonna give this a go next week. waiting til monday so i can have my 4 day trial for evening time when it will probably be peak for home users! fingers crossed it works ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kenaghcomputers

hi im also in the keenagh area ..im located in the village ..i purchased a o2 usb adptor after both o2 and the o2 shop swore blind i had 3g coverage in the area , but only to find there is only gprs coverage !! o2 say they are upgrading there masts ...any one know about this ??? or is it all waffle from o2 !!! any help would be greatly appreciated !! thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they ARE upgrading to EDGE on all masts , 170k ish speeds, in fact much of Leinster is live .

dunno about 3g, better ring them

thanks sponge ! any time frame on compleation ? the sooner the better !!! i have rang o2 on this several times and cant get a straight answer !!

Well I am guesstimating end of October to end of November if O2 are to get the iPhone onto the christmas market , the iPhone is an EDGE device . Its certainly not going to take as long as the Meteor EDGE rollout, announced in 2005 and not yet complete.

thanks ...u seem to be the only one who has possible answers !! ok i have 5 bars gprs strength signal all the time ...do u think ill get edge coverage when its compleate ? thanks again .

Yes , you would now get about 40k-45k and you will then get about 170k, its the same frequency as gprs

3g tends to follow main roads so if you are near the n5 or the n6 you have some hope of a cell upgrade to 3g as well as EDGE , if 8 miles away then not really .

you also have a wisp to the north in Leitrim who may be moving south, ask them

www.ciaracom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Don't Lastmile wireless cover Kenagh that was setup under a GBS?
    http://www.lastmile.ie/coverage.html

Reports about them in some areas haven't been great but they could be better than the mobile offerings.

• Advertisement

Thats the problem Kaiser, reports on Lastmile around here indicate that their service is frequently similar both in speeds and latency to good EDGE speeds....never mind 3g like speeds.

Lots of sub 200k speeds and lots of high latency in other words.

Have you seen EDGE in the wild in your area and what was it like ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Cheers

LongordDane

Lucky for you!

I'm from Kenagh and not a stitch of it! :D

Had to bring it back. Thinking of going for last mile instead now ;)

There doesn't seem to be coverage for 3G/Datacards in Kenagh (as far as I can see) nothing realistic worth paying for. I am thinking about getting a few people together for a petition... but I've been asking myself what good would that do.

Other option = Satellite (the ping! :( )
    Or Last mile... selling a service at unbelievably low speeds for mad prices! (it's probably do them the world of good if they were to learn how to answer a phone before getting into the ISP business) :(

Though one to call.

What part of Kenagh are you trying to get the reception in?

hi irock ...just to warn u ,... i ordered last mile and the installer called and got on the roof ..he then had the nerve to tell me i had no signal cos of the leaves on the trees !!! no joke !! he told me he wud install it but i wud only have coverage in the winter time !!! and these are ment to be an isp ??????????????? sayes a lot for BB providers !!! 2 months ago and im still waiting on my refund !! so be warned mate !!

hi irock ...just to warn u ,... i ordered last mile and the installer called and got on the roof ..he then had the nerve to tell me i had no signal cos of the leaves on the trees !!! no joke !! he told me he wud install it but i wud only have coverage in the winter time !!! and these are ment to be an isp ??????????????? sayes a lot for BB providers !!! 2 months ago and im still waiting on my refund !! so be warned mate !!

I've moved & messed about with a few last mile installations and never had any problems getting a signal in the Kenagh area. Also at my house there is a direct view of the mast anyway...(even from the road!) - So I can't see it being a problem.

I see Ballymahon just got their exchanges upgraded and now the majority of Lines there are capable of ADSL. If you live closer to the Ballymahon side could be worth your while ringing eircom (or perlico or whoever just to have your line checked).

Either way, maybe we'll be soon... although I can remember when I was in college they were saying "definately by next August" - That was 4 years ago!

hi ... i actually live in the village of keenagh and i know 2 people within 1/4 of a mile from me who have last mile and have no problem with coverage . anyway they can go to hell now ..i just came home from work to day and logged on to my o2 data modem to finf my gprs signal upgraded to edge !! its something any way !! so may be threating comreg on o2 did something ...maybe not !! u know that the exchange here has been upgraded to take broadband but the eircom lads said the lines between here and where ever arnt ????? makes a lot of sense doesn't it !!! lol anyway i cant get a straight answer from eircom so looks like its o2 for me for a while anyway !!

anybody in keenagh noticed gprs has switched to edge now ??? anyone getting good speeds ?

hi ... i actually live in the village of keenagh and i know 2 people within 1/4 of a mile from me who have last mile and have no problem with coverage . anyway they can go to hell now ..i just came home from work to day and logged on to my o2 data modem to finf my gprs signal upgraded to edge !! its something any way !! so may be threating comreg on o2 did something ...maybe not !! u know that the exchange here has been upgraded to take broadband but the eircom lads said the lines between here and where ever arnt ????? makes a lot of sense doesn't it !!! lol anyway i cant get a straight answer from eircom so looks like its o2 for me for a while anyway !!

I didn't think there were people like this in Kenagh!

Anyway, Ballymahon has been upgraded recently also ... Broadband is available there.

ye i know about ballymahon .... o2 told me that the mast im operating off is in taghshinny and is down for an upgrade after christmas so looks like ill have to wait till then !! which isp are u using irock ? are u in the village ?

• Advertisement

I use 3meg Eircom and 6meg NTL ;):)

When I'm home... no internet connection at the moment, just Dial up if I need it.
    Last mile on the way though - better than nothing.

I'm just outside the village towards Moydow area.

Advertisement